wheel trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel trouble

hello all, i got my 15" wheels a few days ago, tried to put them on today, the fronts went on fine, no rubbing or anything, but the rears on the other hand, hit the coil seat on the rear shocks, the wheels seem like there an inch or so too wide, is it possible to cut and weld the shock of to make clearance? the item in the way is the bottom cup shaped metal piece. anyone ever had to do something like this? thanks
    blue flake 89L shaved hatch, Lowered, BP swap in progress, bobtail bumper, 5spd tranny, acura 5 spoke 15" wheels and fiberglass dash

What tire size are you using and what's the offeset on the rim?. Maybe you have too much offset.

Comment

I'm pretty sure there is way too much offset, its off by about an inch, but they look so nice on the front, i would like to make them fit the rear.
      blue flake 89L shaved hatch, Lowered, BP swap in progress, bobtail bumper, 5spd tranny, acura 5 spoke 15" wheels and fiberglass dash

Comment

You could try some wheel spacers and longer studs....
        1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
        1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
        1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
        1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
        1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
        1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
        1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

You could run coilovers for more clearance. Not cheap but you won't have big spring perches.
          Brian
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
          :fish:

Comment

the wheels are 15x6.5" with a offset of 40, the tires are 195/50R15 Fuzion-ZRI's. anyone running a setup like this? they seem to be way too big, the tire hits the bottom coil cup on the shock so bad u can even get the wheel closer than an inch away from the drum. could i cut the shock cup? or are there any shocks out there that fit and will have a higher bottom coil-seat? Thanks

Comment

The rear struts for a Ford Aspire have a higher spring perch and bolt right in. I'm not exactly sure how much higher but its an option
              Paul
              91GL
              Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

I think the Aspire rear struts have a 1/2" to 3/4" higher spring perch at the bottom. That may be enough. Try a pair of junkyard struts to see.

If the above almost does it, then consider spacing plates and longer bolts, or go to a long enough wheel stud conversion kit.

Methinks 35 or 38 offset wheels would have been better.

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

my 15 inch rims are either 7 inches wide or 7.5 inches wide, and i'm not sure of the offset (i bought them off of a friend who bought them used as well) with 195/50/15's i'm using quarter inch spacers and longer bolts.
                  on the rear they lightly skim the spring perch but only when going around a bend or a hard bump etc. and i never notice them hit except when i have the wheel off and see a small shiny spot. but since they are wider they also hit the fenders, if i were to roll the fenders in i don't think they'd hit, it's just that close on both sides of the tires
                  so by the sounds of it you'll have a hard time fitting them on because of your offset
                  plus my rims are about an eighth of and inch away from the trailing arm, so if you did solve the spring perch problem, hitting the trailing arm will be the next issue

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Working...
                  X