Brainstorming on Rear chassis bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brainstorming on Rear chassis bars

I was looking the other day under the old festiva wondering if making a stabilizer bar to go between the two bottom shock mounts. Would this more or less add weight or reduce some body flex? Also thinking of a rear strut bar or x brace without building a whole cage.

Any opinions?
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
    ---------------------------------------------------
    BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

I don't think a brace between the shock mounts would show a lot of improvement. If anything, on the underside of the car having better locating links for the suspension would show the greatest benefit.

As for an x or strut tower type of brace, you would definitely see an improvement in torsional stiffness.

Jim

Comment

i have a bar that came with my roll cage that fits perfectly in between the two rear strut towers. You can see what i did on my cardomain.

Ian Carr
      88' flat black festy, has an e-brake that works!
      99' S70 T5M- faster DD
      86' 951- almost ready for track season

My old b6t- wish i still had it
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2241793

Every car I have owned has had a turbo in it, until I bought this latest festiva.. I plan to fix that though.

Comment

Hey monkeyracing like this?

It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Y'know, I took some more time to think about it, and there would be a serious benefit from this lower mount, especially when coupled with a topside strut tower brace. If everything is preloaded a little, it'll box the back of the car in nicely allowing the suspension to do a better job.

I'm going to have to take a better look at the rear suspension, because you never know where you can find more improvements.

Jim

Comment

Working...
          X