Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Springs question - Stock / FMS lowering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springs question - Stock / FMS lowering?

Several months ago I ordered ball joints, GR2 struts and lowering springs from FMS. I received the struts and ball joints but the springs were on back order. Several months later as well as multiple phone calls, voice mails, emails etc etc I still dont have my springs. I'm pretty much giving up on FMS.

I did some reading about the lowering springs and decided they probably aren't the way for me to go anyway. I dont really want a stiff ride and I dont want to mess with the geometry of the suspension. I also have a BP in the garage I plan on installing some day so lowering could cause problems there.

so now my problem is that I can't find stock springs anywhere. NAPA, PartsAmerica, partstrain.com, etc.

Should I just re-use the stock springs? are new springs going to do anything for me? If so, where could I find some new springs online or locally?

thanks,
    dan

I noticed Summit has lots of springs available in different rates, inner diameters and lengths. Can I just order up some springs from Summit? anyone know the specs for Festy springs? I'd like to go 1/2" lower.

Comment

Mattswabb has FMS springs in his Bp car and his BPT car, I don't believe he has any trouble. I have them in my car with KYB super struts and the ride is really nice. Its a whole lot better than the stock spring in my opinion.
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

Springs don't generally wear out, so yours are probably just fine. If they are blown, there are usually some lower milage festivas at pullapart.

I'm not very satisfied with my FMS rear springs. I would just leave the stock springs, and cut them to bring it level with the front. There is plenty of travel on the rear suspension, so the springs could definitely be softer. The FMS springs are a wierd dual rate, the low rate being too low and the high rate being way too high. The result is that the car rests on the low rate, and every time you hit a bump it feels like you're hitting the stops. With two people in the car you're on the higher rate, and it just feels bouncy.

The FMS front springs and KYB specials are a little stiff for the road, but are just brilliant on the track. If they were more progressive it would help the ride, without affecting handling too much.

If I continue with the festiva as my primary project car, it will get some new springs. I like the FMS ride height, I think they got that perfect. The rear beam sits pretty close to level, with the hubs slightly lower than the attachment. The front sits with the control arms just above level. If you want to take a closer look, feel free to stop by. Whenever I get off my ass and finish the engine swap you can drive it and see how it feels.
        OX SMASH!!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll just throw on my new struts with the old springs. THe only question is - what color will I paint the springs?

Comment

Bright pink?
            Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

i think you should paint them elephants' breath.
              ---------------------------------------------------
              The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
              ---------------------------------------------------
              BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Dan, if I were you, I'd pick up some JY Aspire springs and cut them about one to 1.5 coils. Aspire front springs are about 10 lbs. stiffer and the rears will be as newer and lower mileage as what you can find in a nice Aspire donor. Cutting one coil gives you approximately stock ride height.

I'm planning on some low mileage Aspire springs cut 1.5 coils to replace the 1 coil cuts I now have on Luxstiva.

FYI, James Bond's old "Blower Bentley" in the novels was painted "elephant's breath grey." I have a 4.5 litre Bentley model I never put together.

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                X