No announcement yet.

Help me choose best bang-for-buck tire/wheel combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The early 90's Isuzu Impulse wheels are a good looking, cheap way to get a very lightweight (for stock) wheel under your car.
    They're pretty common too, which makes 'em easy to find. I think they're 13x6 or so. Offset's about right, too. Centerbore is officially 60mm,
    but mine were a little shy of that. Hubcentric rings are easy to come by anyhow, and so are die grinders if you need to make them bigger.

I had a set that were given to me, and when I weighed them I was shocked to find they were only 12lbs each. Made my car nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by oxbrain
      On a 6" wide wheel a 3.5" backspace would mean an offset of -12. You might rub the fenders with those. IIRC the miata wheel is -45mm offset, the bmw bottlecaps I was looking at were -25mm.

This chart shows 0 offset for 6" wheel with 3.5" backspacing. Do you think it's accurate.

I read a post of yours about the DiamondRacing wheels you had found. Did you ever check these out? It looks like they may be able to do a 5.5" or 6" wide wheel with 4" backspacing.

i can't believe how tough it is to find a lightweight, cheap steel wheel that fits.

Comment

Oh, I forgot, a 6" wide wheel is 6" between the beads, not the edge. If the lip is ~1/2" then I guess 0 offset would mean 3.5" backspace.

I tried contacting diamond a couple times, but never got a response. I didn't really pursue it seriously though.
        OX SMASH!!

Comment

OK, I bit the bullet and bought the overstock 13x6 12lb black Aero Wheels w/ 3.5" backspacing direct from Aero Wheels. I also got the Sumitomo 185/60/13 HTR 200s from TireRack. Everything should be here by next week.

total should be around $350

and if they dont fit... i'll make them fit.

Comment

I couldn't use 185/60/14's. They rubbed on the rear struts and the front on the fender lips. Maybe the 13's will work.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
            BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
            BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
            New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

I really love those isuzu wheels but i think they are very hard to find, I'v only seen two isuzu impulses around me neither one was turbo either. I would be interested in a set if you can find them easily near you, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by mattswabb
                I couldn't use 185/60/14's. They rubbed on the rear struts and the front on the fender lips. Maybe the 13's will work.
                i hope so... but my offset may be a little shy of what it should be so while I probably wont be rubbing the strut in the rear, i may be hitting the fender. Sounds like I will be hitting the front fender if you were. I dont think 1/2" is going to be enough to make a difference.

Comment

Make sure to post some pics, I really want to see that set up
                  Currently Festiva-less. Please don't hate me

Comment

i am running AERO race wheels 13x6 3.5 BS with sumitomo HTR 200 175/50/13 they stick out of the fenders about 1"
                    so there is a little torque steer but the handling is awesome so its worth the trade off, they also look bad-ass.
                    check it out at
                    Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
                    - Dennis Grant
                    FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

BAD - ASS - CAR - DUDE. I dig it. You look like you have tons of room under your fenders though. Did you cut? I rolled my new 185/60/13 Sumitomos out to the car today and i'm gonna have some serious problems installing those. Time to get out the sawzall and box knife.

I'm thinking i definitely should have gone with the 175/50/13s now.

Comment

Only if you drop it low, running 175,50 R13 on 13x6 3.5 BS Aero Wheels at stock height I get no rubbing.
                        Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
                        - Dennis Grant
                        FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

All factory Miata wheels are positive offset! That should be +45mm on Miata wheels.

I think a six inch wide rim should be good with anywhere from +35 to +40mm offset. I'd prefer +38 or +35.

The 185/60-13 Sumitomos should be fine. Anything in 185/60-14 is probably too big around, especially on a lowered car! However, don't ask me about your Aero race wheels. I think the offset is wrong...

Karl
                          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

So any wheel on the tirerack.com under the miata ( keeping the 14X6 with between 35-38 offset ) would clear no problem with the 195/45 Toyos?
                            You got the stickers I got the parts!

Comment

By the way, these Isuzu Impulse wheels aren't 13 inches; they are 14 inchers (I used to be a huge Impulse fan so I know almost everything about 'em) and they used to be plenty of those cars over here in Quebec 8 years ago, and its been a while since I've seen one on the road so guess where they all went? That's right, the junkyard. It maybe worth a the try to ask someone on the eastern canada Festiva forum (or club Festiva Quebec I think?) if they could find you a set...
                              The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

185/60/14 will fit using +35 offset 6.5" wide rim (i know, 'cuz that's what i run) i rolled the front fenders a little for better clearance so now it only rubs on the rear strut spring pearch. to fix this, use aspire struts (the seat sits about 1" higher)

BTW i'm using FMS lowering springs w/ 1 coil off all corners and rear helper springs to stiffen the back (fms rears are too weak)

i'll post again when i change to the aspire struts and stock festy front springs in the rear.
                                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                                X