COIL OVERS : Affordable Coil-Over Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COIL OVERS : Affordable Coil-Over Suspension

Q: I have a 1991 Festiva which I will be making into a street/racecar over the next 2 months. It used to have the FMS lowering kit and KYBs. Now, it will have a coilover setup. I haven't found anything though for a Festiva application. I'm switching from the stock type of springs to coilovers because 195/45R15s are going on, so I'm needing the clearance.
    My questions: I'm concerned about costs, since I will be spending lots on tires and rims. Is there any way to get fully adjustable coilovers on a Festiva for under 500 ? What brand and part numbers do you recommend for a Festiva ? - Tom

A: You can try Ground Control or Carrera for VW Golf A2 coil-over components for an economical setup, though out the door for 500.00 USD for everything you need to do the entire suspension might be pushing it. ITD Festiva road racing guys use this setup a lot. The rears fit the Festiva and the fronts, from what I have read on the BOR Racing site, looks like it will fit the Festiva/Aspire knuckle with minor stock removal from the knuckle mounting pad. You will need an upper mount and I would take the time to come up with something adjustable. Tech might be able to assist you in valving for a Festiva performance application if you have information to give them.

You can also find adjustable inserts ( such as Bilstein ) to build a coil-over conversion from scratch. If you have the equipment and skills that is.

NOTE: Check Fred's post/s on additional info on using VW coil-overs

4/14/03
    Rich Norman
    5 Festivas:
    1992 L - Daily Driver
    1993 GL-Off-Road Buggy Subaru EJ20DET
    1988 L - Big Block Ford Pro-Street
    1992 L - Corvette LS7 drivetrain
    1991 L - Parts Car
Working...
X