Rim questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rim questions.

I found a site with, imo, cheap rims. 14x7 @ $55 each. So, I have a few questions about the sizes. Below is what they give me to pick from.

Bolt Pattern: 4 on 4, 4 on 4 1/2, & 4 on 4 1/4

Back Spacing: 1", 2", 3", & 3 1/2"

OK. I have no idea what any of that means. What do I chose, and what size tires would go with a 14" rim on a festiva?

I'm sure this is a simple question, but I've never bought rims before so any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

EDIT: Found tires. (185 60 14) Still in the dark about rims, though.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

I see a few things wrong with these rims.

1). The bolt pattern.

Stock Festivas take a rim with a 4 x 114.3 bolt pattern. 114.3mm is 4 1/2". which is one size you've listed, so these might fit on a Festiva. If you do the Aspire brake swap, you'll end up with a 4 x 100 bolt pattern. 100mm is just under 4" (3.94" to be exact). You might squeeze the 4" bolt circle on there, but it won't fit perfectly.

2). The bigger problem, the Back Spacing.

a 7" rim width with 3 1/2" of back spacing means that you have the same amount of rim on the inside of the wheel as you do on the outside. 3 1/2" leaves plenty of clearance on the inside, but the outside will stick out of the fender about 1 - 1 1/2". For a 7" rim, if you want the tire in the wheel well, you want at least 5" or more of back spacing. This will make things tight by the suspension though.

The best size 14" rim is probably 6" with 4 1/2" of back space. The tire size you chose will fit really well on 6" of rim. 7" is too wide for a 185. A good rule of thumb for choosing rim width is to take the tire width and find a rim that's about 75% to 85% as wide as the tire. 185mm is about 7.3" wide. a 7" rim is 96% of that. A 6" rim is only 82%.

If you go shopping for different rims, keep in mind that a lot of manufacturers don't use "Back Space" in their measurements. They use "Offset" and it's measured in Millimeters.

A rim 7" wide with 3 1/2" of back space has a 0mm of offset. To place this under a Festiva and keep it under the fender, you'll want at least 45 - 55mm of offset (about 1 3/4" - 2 1/8"). You may still have fender problems. A 6" rim will fit well with a 38 - 40mm offset.

To convert to millimeters, take inches and multiply by 25.4
    To convert to inches, take millimeters and divide by 25.4

To learn more about Backspacing and Offset, go here.

Hope this helps.
    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

FestivaFan,

Now that was useful!
      Best explanation I've seen in a while!

Thanks

Pu241
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Been playing with cars for a looooong time (25 years+). I've learned a few things from that.

Comment

Offset is slightly different from backspace. The 7" width measurement is from bead to bead, so the outside width of the wheel is usually 1/2" wider. Thus a 14x7 wheel with 3.5" backspace is actually -10mm or so.
          OX SMASH!!

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out oxbrain. I often forget about that.

Comment

wow, all I can say is, that will really help me when I go after some new wheels/tires again. I'll have to take some time to sit down and decifer it all sometime, but thats a lot of good info... maybe this should be made into a sticky?
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Well, that's something to think about. Thanks.

I don't mind if they stick out of the wheel well a little. I kinda like that look anyway. Plus, I'm getting rims for the performance, not looks. So, more overall footprint width, faster stable speed in turns, right?

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

With the size you're talking about? I'd say yes. What it would be like, I couldn't tell you. Some of the other members have wheel/tire combos similar to this. I'd try asking them for driving impressions.

Comment

Can you let off the site???
                    "Look, I have long hair, tats and smoke like a chimney.. All of my customers know it.. Don't like it? Don't turn over my rock."

RIP DJ

Comment

this is a great site for figuring out tire hieght differences

you can put in the make and model and it'll tell you what size tire came on that car and you can compare the differences to what size tire you wanna put on

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Here's the site.

It's $57.95 for a 14x7 15lb rim.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Max width?

Anybody ever tried to use older Datsun/Nissan or British RWD 13" or 14" wheels on a stock Festiva w/ 4.5 lug spacing? What would be the max usable width with zero offset wheels?

Comment

Working...
                          X