Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

would it even be practical to have a center mount seat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would it even be practical to have a center mount seat?

i got to thinking more about it today as i was test fitting my porsche steering rack. sence the 1.8 engine sits on the passenger siude of the car, and the driver normally sits on the other side, they probably help balance each other out.

if i mounted my porsche rack on the festiva and had a single seat in the middle of the car ala go-cart wouldnt that offset the weight of me and the engine to more of the passenger side, thereby messing up the weight distrobution?

what is the consensus of this crowd?

I think if you are worried about weight distribution in a Festiva there is a problem, the car is almost 70/30 front bias so 20-50lbs left to right is almost nothing... Just my .02... -Kyle
    Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

i guess i was kind of thinking that the stock festiva with no driver in it was already 100+ lbs weighted to the passenger side. i know the 1.8 is damn heavy, and the only thing besides the driver to counteract this weight is the 70lb transmission.

you really dont think its a big deal then? i guess id like to get more input.

Comment

cars are generally built with the weight of the average driver in mind, so a center seat would be pointless so far as weight distribution goes.

Comment

My thoughts on centered steering
          Rich Norman
          5 Festivas:
          1992 L - Daily Driver
          1993 GL-Off-Road Buggy Subaru EJ20DET
          1988 L - Big Block Ford Pro-Street
          1992 L - Corvette LS7 drivetrain
          1991 L - Parts Car

Comment

this isnt a street car, its a race only car. its not even street legal anymore.

i dont run auto-x , i run rallye-x, and a bit of drag racing from time to time. the class i am running in is called open 2 wheel drive rallye modified or "rm2".

i have very few rules, need a glass windscreen, a battery box, must use unleadded, and i have to pass safety. thats basically it.

Comment

^ Rather then mounting a seat in the centre of the car, why don't you just carry a passenger? The weight gain would slow the car down no doubt, but at least you'd have even weight distribution.
              * Retired Festiva-er*
              1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
              B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

Working...
              X