Ground Control Coilovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground Control Coilovers?

To people who have them on their car please give me some feedback. Please let me know how much your car weighs (if you know), how you liked them or like them, which struts you are using, how low you have them set, what the spring rates are, where you got them, and how much if any it reduced the body roll of the car, compared to FMS springs? I think that's it! :lol: But seriously I am trying to decide what to do with my suspension and need some feedback.. -Kyle
    Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

I dont have them,I have the cheapies but the honda guys swear by them. If I was to keep my car I would buy some.
    "Look, I have long hair, tats and smoke like a chimney.. All of my customers know it.. Don't like it? Don't turn over my rock."

RIP DJ

Comment

I think b6t (fred) has some...

*1992 Sport "Beauty" and 1989 L "Beast"

Comment

thats projectb6t (Ian)....
        91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
        00 f250- xlt 7.3 6speed 4x4
        88 gtx
        74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

No one can post anything good or bad about them?!

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Comment

I don't have them, i use ractive miata bodies with qa1 springs but i did seriously look into buying them
            this is what I learned:

Ground Control was the originator of the coilover body idea everyone else has ripped off their design
            You can get any spring rate you want in any length (i would suggest 8" front and 7" back if mounting on
            original spring perch) rates around 225 front and 150 rear (remember this is a festy not a honda and it
            doesn't weigh squat) those generic 450F- 350R sets are way to stiff. All springs from Eibach and
            guaranteed not to sag. If you have the cash spring for the tender springs and couplers (so you can go
            as low as you want without the springs flopping around at full droop). They also use poly sleeve adapters
            as opposed to a bag of plastic rings and use the single adjuster (instead of two locking rings).

Basically these are the best coilover adapters you can buy if you can afford it get them (I could not)
            I believe the price is around $400 but they will set you up, call them (don't order online) so you
            can tell them what you need. All coilover bodies work the same but put the ground control next to any
            other and you will know the difference. Also when they say aircraft aluminum they mean it, i think some
            of that ebay stuff is just a bunch of compressed soda cans. With ground control you know what your
            getting and it will be quality. The only real problem is nobody makes a shock (for the festy) worthy of
            this setup.
            Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
            - Dennis Grant
            FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

If you are talking about the cheapy ebay coilovers that usually run around $100.00. I have a pair, and they suck $#@. They just ride to rough. Its cool for about a day, but thats it. Makes the car look slammed when you adjust them all the way down. I had them back off, and my original crappy springs back on my car before the day was over.

Comment

Originally posted by ectonine
                If you are talking about the cheapy ebay coilovers that usually run around $100.00. I have a pair, and they suck $#@. They just ride to rough. Its cool for about a day, but thats it. Makes the car look slammed when you adjust them all the way down. I had them back off, and my original crappy springs back on my car before the day was over.
                lol I have the same, but only paid 45shipped. I will prob order some springs with a differtnt rate.
                "Look, I have long hair, tats and smoke like a chimney.. All of my customers know it.. Don't like it? Don't turn over my rock."

RIP DJ

Comment

Originally posted by floydiancomplex
                  I don't have them, i use ractive miata bodies with qa1 springs but i did seriously look into buying them
                  this is what I learned:

Ground Control was the originator of the coilover body idea everyone else has ripped off their design
                  You can get any spring rate you want in any length (i would suggest 8" front and 7" back if mounting on
                  original spring perch) rates around 225 front and 150 rear (remember this is a festy not a honda and it
                  doesn't weigh squat) those generic 450F- 350R sets are way to stiff. All springs from Eibach and
                  guaranteed not to sag. If you have the cash spring for the tender springs and couplers (so you can go
                  as low as you want without the springs flopping around at full droop). They also use poly sleeve adapters
                  as opposed to a bag of plastic rings and use the single adjuster (instead of two locking rings).

Basically these are the best coilover adapters you can buy if you can afford it get them (I could not)
                  I believe the price is around $400 but they will set you up, call them (don't order online) so you
                  can tell them what you need. All coilover bodies work the same but put the ground control next to any
                  other and you will know the difference. Also when they say aircraft aluminum they mean it, i think some
                  of that ebay stuff is just a bunch of compressed soda cans. With ground control you know what your
                  getting and it will be quality. The only real problem is nobody makes a shock (for the festy) worthy of
                  this setup.
                  how much did your miata and qa1 setup run you? links to parts? How do you like the ride? Or would you reccomend going the GC route. just curious.
                  91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
                  00 f250- xlt 7.3 6speed 4x4
                  88 gtx
                  74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

I had this really long response all type up them something got screwed and it all went all (damn I hate that)

so this will be shorter

my setup cost about 450 including all the shipping but required a lot of fabrication and isn't all that adjustable
                    gr2 shocks 200
                    the springs cost about 160 + handling from summit
                    the setup is from Ractive (Toucan industries) i got it on ebay for $50 but it cost about 200 -250 new.

unless you have access to a lathe don't go this route

as for the handling I am simply astonished by how well it works the rear steps out just enough to keep you
                    going fast (but never unpredictably or uncontrollable) and the struts while they may seem to underdamped are almost
                    perfectly matched to the springs. combined with the wheel at tire setup this is the best handling car i have
                    ever driven. The rear is a little bumpy on the street but on the AutoX course I couldn't ask for more.

but my way was a hassle so this is how it should be done.

if you just want height adjustment, do it this way

Gr2 shocks $200
                    ebay coilover $75- 125 make sure it has ALUMINUM top hats that are not flat. RUBBER HATS ARE JUST STUPID
                    4 tender springs $80 http://www.stockcarproducts.com/hyper3.htm
                    4 couplers $80 http://www.ground-control-store.com/...tion.php/II=11
                    4 springs $240 EIBACH 8" 225F- 7" 150R from GC store

total $675 - 725

using GC kit $760 - 810 dump ebay kit and springs of your choice come with GC kit so you won't have to buy them separately
                    GC kit is around $400

but THINK for only a few hundred maybe 500 more you could get a full TEIN setup with camber plates and spherical bearings.
                    its only 895 + shipping before you add extras.

so if you have the right tools and want to stay on the cheap send me a message i will i give you all the fun details and pitfalls
                    of going this way otherwise keep saving and go for TEIN cause as i said before you'll never get a shock that can do the GC
                    kit justice and for what you'll spend to set it up you might as well buy the full coilovers. I'm not even counting new mounts (30 rear
                    100 front).

oh yeah if you think you can cheap out and not buy tender springs and couplers you are dumb you will hurt yourself and more
                    importantly you will hurt you car.

check out my setup at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2433730/1 any questions ask I love to talk shop.

On a separate note I once emailed KYB and ask them why they didn't make an AGX shock for our cars. The said ROI (recent orders in) determined what they would make. So if everyone here started emailing them asking for them they just might make them. How about a concerted effort to convince them. Who here wouldn't buy a set (maybe 2) so there is
                    a demand they just need to know.

and this is the short one... Whew.
                    Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
                    - Dennis Grant
                    FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

I just purchased the GC's from Redshiftmotorsports.com for a 92-00 Civic for $349 shipped w/the custom rates 225F 150R. Now I am not sure if they do or do not come w/tender springs or couplers. I will find out when they get here. Hopefully this will solve my issues... I'll keep you posted how this goes along w/pictures. -Kyle

Comment

the basic set does not come with those items but you can get them from these places:

Tender springs:
                        http://www.stockcarproducts.com/hyper3.htm these the cheapest I could find GC ones are 30 - 40 each

Couplers:
                        http://www.ground-control-store.com/...tion.php/II=11 buy direct from GC cheapest you'll find.

what length springs did you get F/R 8" Front will give you about 2-2 1/2" from stock and 7" rear allows about
                        2 1/2 - 3 1/2" depending on rates. I'm sure you won't go too low with those expensive slicks hanging out, but
                        if you get a 7" front and the adjuster bodies are tall enought you can get another inch in the front. also the
                        collapsed tender springs and coupler will steal about 1/4- 1/2" adjustment but you NEED THEM.

good luck - Chris
                        - Dennis Grant
                        FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

any updates on this?

Comment

Yup they are in and working great. I have been so busy with moving (new house) that I haven't really had the time to upload and do a write up... Shortly I promise I will have one!! But for now, a teaser..

-Kyle

Comment

ooohhh...i likey. looking forward to your write-up.

Comment

Working...
                              X