Caliper boot thingy's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caliper boot thingy's

Well my black 92 is being serviced for a number of things. The mechanic tells me they're having a devil of a time sourcing caliper boots.

Calipers have boots now? What the hell is this? Does this make sense to anyone? (btw this is not an aspire swap car)
    Mon arme a moi, c'est un stylo.

:?:

ummm tell your mechanic to check the blinker and halogen fluid and see what he says, if he says anything but theres no such thing, FIND A NEW MECHANIC!!!

im not 100% on there not being caliper boots? but are you sure he didnt say bolts?
    2007 Ford Taurus 23-25MPG
    1976 Chevy Silverado (my toy)
    1951 Ford Deluxe, being rebuilt

Have an old car truck or tractor? Go here.
    http://www.aintperfect.com/

Comment

ok posted on another forum, and maybe hes talking about these?

but if i remember right, my aspire dont have those, and therefore a festy might not, so could be a part that did not exist on our cars.
      2007 Ford Taurus 23-25MPG
      1976 Chevy Silverado (my toy)
      1951 Ford Deluxe, being rebuilt

Have an old car truck or tractor? Go here.
      http://www.aintperfect.com/

Comment

^^Those are the parts he's talking about. They cover the part of the bolt that is not inside the caliper at the moment.
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I'm going to call FMS & see if he stock this part. Thanks for the pic's.

Comment

I really have a hard time believing that they can't find them. Many other cars should use the same size/style boot/tube setup. The part is basically a tube with boots on both ends. I guess the problem could be you can't buy them separate so a new caliper would be in order.
            91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

the inside of these boots are what the caliper slide pin actually slides on. if the boots are damaged, letting water to get to the pin, eventually the pin will rust to the boot preventing the outboard pad from sqeezing the rotor. if your inboard brake pad is wearing more noticably than the outter, chances are that the pins are frozen in the boots. another test is to remove the brake pads, leaving the caliper mounted and see if you can push and pull the caliper easily on the pins. i yearly have to dissasemble the pins and boots and regrease them inside even though they aren't damaged. the longer caliper mounting bolt has 2 boot that fit into a groove in the caliper housing while the shorter mounting bolt has a 1 pc boot that goes all the way through the caliper body. if the pins are really stuck, i lift the outer lip of the boot and spray some penetrant in between the boot and pin. use your ingenuity to push out the pins. clean any corrosion off the surface of the pins with steel wool. clean out the inside of the boot of the old grease and repack the bellows with sil-glide or equivalent. i use a q-tip to glob it in there. then reinstall the boots and psh the pins back in making sure the boot ends seat into the groove of the pin. this is all alot easier if u remove the caliper from the car rather than have it dangling by the brake hose but then u have to bleed the brakes. there is no part# for just the boots but i have bought rebuilt calipers with them already installed. you might have better luck at napa just getting the boots or maybe a rebuild kit that includes them. as for the aspire, here is a pic of aspire calipers and they have the same boot arrangement

Comment

Are they different colors side to side from the factory? I never noticed since they seem to be in less than new shape from what I have seen!
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment

Well the final tally was $1400 bux.
                  I have new cv's, brakes, brembo (?) rotors metallic pads, drum shoes & pistons, wheel bearings, an oil change, and a vale cover gasket.

Comment

They put it back together without. he just gooped some never seize in there. I need to get some through some other channel. Apparently anything over 10 years gets obsoleted @ napa & they stop stocking it. Oh well, at least it doesn't click when I turn anymore. I'm headed for the states in the coming months, i'll try to stop at a pepboys or something. Or I can order them from FMS.

Comment

Give FMS a call, they hve many stock parts that are not listed on teir website!
                      Brian
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                      :fish:

Comment

what does those wire things/springs do on the calipers show above? how hard is it to change a front roter? never did it before on a festiva

Comment

The actual pins go thru the brake pad to secure them , the spring wires hold the pins in place , so they do not fall out .

One of my springs broke and I now have small cotter pins thru the end of my pins now .

As for the rotor removal , Better use the Haynes , you don't want to know how I did mine (twice).. no make that 3 times .
                          Not because something I did , first 2 sets were junk , warped in 3 months .

Last set was Wagners brand , hopefully I will never need to replace them again. :lol:
                          ------------------------------------------------
                          The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                          Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                          HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                          Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                          Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                          Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                          Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                          90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                          It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Originally posted by Kofkof_00
                            Apparently anything over 10 years gets obsoleted @ napa & they stop stocking it.
                            Imports, yes. Domestic, well, I got wheelbearings for a
                            '47 Ford F-1 pickup about a year&half ago, and I'd say there are
                            far more Festys on the roads than that old beast 8)

Comment

last weekend i put brake pads on but had trouble with the side of the caliper where there is no piston the pad would not go in because there was no clearance for the new pad because of more materail on the new pad than the old so i hit the caliper bolt sleaves to make it fit. does this sound right? does anyone else have had the same problem?

Comment

Working...
                              X