13s or 14s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13s or 14s?

Im looking for wheels for my brake swap, im wondering weather to go with 13s or 14s? What are the pros/cons of the different sizes? Whats best for mileage exct?
    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
    RIP 90LX

Are you looking for performance or style alone? Style wise you have many more choices in a 14" wheel
    esp. with 4x100 of the aspire swap. Using a 14" wheel will have negative performance greater than a 13".
    The main factor is adding the unsprung weight of a big wheel and heavier tire. Likely you will also have
    to increase the overall diameter raising your gearing unless you use super low profile tires. Personally
    I like 13"s on a festy esp. Aero Race Wheels and Diamond Race wheels. FestivaWes's 13" Enkie
    wheels are really sweet. If you don't want to reduce the festys admittedly meager acceleration look
    for a lightweight wheel in whatever size you get. Check out this new mag called SIPHON for "micro
    compact" cars as their adds are directed towards cars using 15" and smaller wheels.

As a general rule smaller wheels are faster, although a larger rim with a lower profile tire will
    offer better turn in and increased cornering (to a point), your acceleration will diminish as rim
    size increases.

If you just want a my opinion I go would with some 13x6 wheels and 175/50 Sumitomo tires.
    Perhaps 185/60 if you want a more accurate speedo. I am running 13x6 3.5 BS Aero Wheels
    with 175/50 tires. At 70 mph on the speedo I am actually doing 63.94 mph.

Check out my setup at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2433730/1 - Chris
    Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
    - Dennis Grant
    FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

I love the apache v's too...so hard to find now-a-days....I want to get them fully restored back to the polished lip and gold centers....still missing 2 center caps though....BOOO

Try going for a set of Civic VX 13" rims...forged at only 9.8lbs each they're an awesome wheel
      ---------------------------------------------------
      The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
      ---------------------------------------------------
      BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

What powerplant are you running right now???

If your in the B3 stick with a light 13"

I had a set of 175/70/13 on 13" aluminum honda rims ( with aspire brake swap ) and they where super light,cheap,looked good and the ride and handeling improved....

If you plan to go beyond a B3 I suggest that you go with a 14" or 15"....but 14"'s are my personal choice.....

I'm going to be running a 195/50/14 soon....but I will have a B6T that will in short order have over 200hp....so traction is a must......

There are alot of choices out there....just make sure you do a brake swap now if you plan to ever do it.....it's a real pain finding a new set of tire/rims once you have done a brake swap....plus it just adds more cost to things...
        Previous owner of 8 festivas... looking for number 9

Adam

Comment

I ran 14's on the stock B3 for a year without any problems... They ran a 195/45 tire.
          Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Hi fellow Festivers. I'm new here and only recently have decided to pimp out the stock hand-me-down. I noticed some of you suggested Honda rims in this post, and I was curious if they fit stock or if I need modified hubs, or need to adapt the original Civic assembly. And what do I need for lift? I have a 91 Civic sitting around doing nothing and I already have my eye on chopping the hatchwing for my first modification.

Thanks
            scoop
            :shock:
            Cheers!

Fishtiva

Comment

I have seen the Honda hatchwing used, it looked good! As for wheels check he sticky at th top of the Custom Suspension, Brakes & Wheels forum.
              Brian
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
              :fish:

Comment

Thanks Brian. Sorry to butt in on your post Stefan... new at this, haven't figured it all out yet.
                I look forward to posting some pics as I move along.
                All the best.
                scoop :shock:
                Cheers!

Fishtiva

Comment

Working...
                X