No announcement yet.

More braking power out of stock brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also had my boss(170-180 lbs) with me.
    It was contaminated water I was bringing to the waste collection place that handles toxic stuff. I found two small pallets that fit perfectly between the rear shock towers, put the first in to level the floor with the bottom of the hatch opening and strap the drums to the second and fork em in. The festiva handles the weight very well, smoother and quieter than when empty and the b6 means I can do more than 30 up hills.
    OX SMASH!!

Comment

Uncle Fester just made a trip back from Home Depot with concrete for my deck footers... 12 80lb bags, plus me. Thats a grand total of 1235lbs. Stock brakes, stock engine, did surprisingly well...
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

isn't the max load only 600 lbs on the festivas?

lol
        Wil
        02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
        00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
        05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
        93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
        96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
        93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

Just for the record, before the Aspire swap on my '89L the brakes really, really SUCKED!

On the other hand, while not as good as the Aspire setup, the brakes on my '93GL have been pretty good for stock brakes. I did replace just the pads last fall (the left side pads were thinner than the rights), and I haven't had any problems.

I do intend to follow most of Wil's brake job suggestions when I redo them again.

NOW CAN WE TALK ABOUT THEM FRIGGING BRAKE COOLING DUCTS?

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Dryer vent pipe, a hole saw, and some hose clamps.
            What more do you need?
            OX SMASH!!

Comment

TWIN TURBOS WITH LITTLE BITTY INTERCOOLERS!

One in each air duct.

I wanna keep those brake rotors COLD!

Karl

Comment

I'd suggest a water sprayer, but I don't think that would give you the desired effect.
                OX SMASH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy
                  Just for the record, before the Aspire swap on my '89L the brakes really, really SUCKED!

On the other hand, while not as good as the Aspire setup, the brakes on my '93GL have been pretty good for stock brakes. I did replace just the pads last fall (the left side pads were thinner than the rights), and I haven't had any problems.

I do intend to follow most of Wil's brake job suggestions when I redo them again.

NOW CAN WE TALK ABOUT THEM FRIGGING BRAKE COOLING DUCTS?

Karl
                  FYI if your pad is "wearing thin" on one side only that means YOU DIDN'T GREASE UR SLIDERS111

So now your caliper is frozen into one position and the pads will wear and "adjust" to the wear & tear instead of the floating caliper (which is no longer floating) lol

u should address that shiet soon. Not hard, just remove the cali & get a big set of pliers and press out the sliders....wipe off the old lube and regrease them
                  Wil
                  02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
                  00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
                  05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
                  93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
                  96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
                  93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

Ah, now I understand Wil!

I had thought that a lot of "right turns" may have worn that side down more than the other!

When I put on the new knuckles/bearings I'll take care of that.

Thanks,

Karl

Comment

with the piston depressed, the caliper should be able to be moved left and right along its sliding pins with only light hand pressure. this is what to aim for when doing slider maintence.
                      if its difficult to move, you should clean it up and relube it like that other guy said.

Comment

Originally posted by oxbrain
                        I'd suggest a water sprayer, but I don't think that would give you the desired effect.
                        Do they ever do something like this where they spray something on the brakes to cool them off? Or some sort of freon system around the brakes? I've never heard of it but it's kinda interesting.

Personally I find that my brakes work well enough to outperform my tires (which as eccentric pointed out are actually what stop your car) just great as long as there isn't more than two people in the car.

And while we're on the topic of stopping and tires, what does anybody do during the winter. I've got some metal-studded tires that go on during the winter which turn it into a beast on loose snow. The trade-off is that it's crap on pavement and road noise is probably 10 times louder than with my regular tires.
                        marc
                        white 93 GL / 5spd

Comment

spraying water onto the brakes would hurt performance and might crack them from the shock cooling. Stick with air vents
                          OX SMASH!!

Comment

Working...
                          X