Cracked tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked tires

Question: I probably know the answer my self. But my tires have cracks all over them, I am guessing it is because they are getting old, but I wonder how dangerous they are? I do have another set of tires to go on, but I was waiting till I finally found some darn camber bolts so I don't chew up another set.

Will I be okay on a set of tires with cracks between the tread, or do I need to worry about a blow out and wrecking my car?

Logan

I believe it's "dry rot"... I picked up a set of steelies from the junkyard when I did my Aspire brake swap and they were like that. I drove a good 1000+ miles on them without any problems. I know that if you have inspection, you'll probably have to swap them before you get it inspected as they won't pass.
    Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Is it worth risking a blow out and wrecking your car to find out "how safe" they are?
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

yep :-), no not really but I am not going to put on my new tires and chew them up. I tried to order the bolts from PartsAmerica today, but for some reason they wouldn't except my card.

Comment

Also I found out that as long as I can't see the cords then they have some time left before I need to worry, once the cords start showing in the cracks means the tires will fail quick. Also the cracks really arn't that deep at all, more like creeks, than cracks :-)

Comment

They make great burnout fodder
            It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Working...
            X