Other then Civic Coilovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other then Civic Coilovers?

Theres thousands of coil overs on Ebay. Everyone says the Civic are to stiff. What other coil overs will fit? Miata? Mx3? Not really knowledgeable with suspension.
    88' Ford Festiva
    97' Chevy Silverado Z71
    94' Chevy S-10

basically that cheap 50 dollar kit on ebay no matter the car is the same exact set, maybe with different length sleeves but they are all the same. I have the civic ones and yes they are too stiff, but if you where into drag racing they would be good for that :-)

Comment

My car has VW A3 Apex racing coilovers......stiff yes...I have not driven it yet ( no engine ) but i've been told the ride is not all that bad......keep in mind these coilovers are worth $2500 new........ Some are going with the Tein set-up....if you look in the Forsale section EVO-GUN is now selling them.....I think suspension is one of the hardest things( and expensive if you use the good stuff) to get right in our cars....I think CAM had a good idea on his Fastiva.....if I remember correct he had some stock VW peices adapted to his festy...I could be wrong.....that would give a better ride then the VW race suspension I have.....and probably hold up well to engine swaps.....and as was just mentioned...cheap civic coilovers are going to be crap in anything you slap it in....that's why it's cheap.....I think alot of people get sucked into ebay "prefomance parts" only to find out is not actually a good deal....
      Previous owner of 8 festivas... looking for number 9

Adam

Comment

So the civic coils have the same stiffness as say the miata coilovers? Thats what I was really wondering. I figured maybe if the civic coilovers a lighter car like say a miata would have less stiff coilovers.
        88' Ford Festiva
        97' Chevy Silverado Z71
        94' Chevy S-10

Comment

most of the cheap kits come with the same rates 450FR 350R my miata kit from Ractive had these rates
          I put those on a shelf and ordered QA1 springs from summit 220FR 180R double the stock rates and
          still only half of the ebay kits, its a little stiff in the rear but totally tolerable for daily use and great for autoX.
          Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
          - Dennis Grant
          FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

Hey Floydian, any more info, or a link to said springs? This sounds quite promising!
            1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

The spring rate is part of it, but the damping on the shocks is key. If you have high spring rates you need proper damping rates or the shock cannot control the spring. and it will be to hard or to bouncy. If you match damping and spring rates you have a good ride and excellent control in corners and straights.

Comment

Originally posted by floydiancomplex
                most of the cheap kits come with the same rates 450FR 350R my miata kit from Ractive had these rates
                I put those on a shelf and ordered QA1 springs from summit 220FR 180R double the stock rates and
                still only half of the ebay kits, its a little stiff in the rear but totally tolerable for daily use and great for autoX.

Hey there, are you running the GR-2's with this setup? how are they holding up?.. This seems to be the most cost effective way to go i think,

Comment

has anyone Looked At the early 90's Toyota tercel rear struts. They appear to be almost "bolt up" at least compared to my aspire rears. I know the tercels are a bit heavier this could be a cheap mod... Im going to look more into this tomorrow..
                  1996 Aspire, 2DR 5SPD 185 60 14, Aluminum rims, Mild Stereo system, some neon tubes, 185 000 km not a speck of rust runs like a champ
                  B8-ME Swap COMPLETED.

Comment

well im thinking this way, even a stock 323 front strut should be valved tighter then a stock festiva front strut, now go to a 323 kyb gr2, this would

#1 fit the festiva according to some people. (now we are talking like up to 89-90 323 at the newest.)

and #2 should be alot stiffer then a festiva GR2 strut.
                    and this setup would work great using higher rate springs.

Now on the rears with coilovers i have also seen people using VW A1 upgraded struts since they are eyelet bottom, threaded up just like the festiva.
                    so we are talking rabbit scirocco stuff, those guys have had very good luck with boge turbo gas and they are cheap too.

am i making sense here?
                    WAAAY more options using the vw rears then tercel.

Comment

i have tein lowering springs off of a miata on my aspire with aspire gr2s it rides very nice.

Comment

ok allot of you are talking vw but is there any thing that is a direct bolt up and are coil overs? any help in the matter would be great.
                        1988 Festiva L carbarated 4speed. my street legal go-cart! the best car i have ever had!

Comment

Yes, festivamotorsport.com
                          -Bryant

Comment

i have lookd at festiva motor sports and the only shit i found was stock parts. im looking for aftermarket coilovers that built rite up wit no mods
                            1988 Festiva L carbarated 4speed. my street legal go-cart! the best car i have ever had!

Comment

FMS also carries performance bits.... including Tien coilovers

Ian
                              Calgary AB, Canada
                              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Working...
                              X