Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lightning, My 93 Festiva build

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lightning, My 93 Festiva build

    So what do you do when you Buy a Ford Festiva that you find out has a externally blown head gasket. blowing fumes and soot in your engine bay
    You buy a 94 mazda mx3 with a good solid runnin motor with 186 000 km...that rear ended someone.... from a scrap dealer and you put the engine in your festiva!

    Ive wanted to start this thread for a while about my build,,, to share about swapping in the entire mx3 B6D engine with the F series transmission. Also what im doing with the suspension and various other stuff.

    Ive already done a few things, Swapped in new seats out of a 05 Kia Rio, fabricated some mounts for them to bolt in.
    Did some body work on a big dent on the drivers side rear wheel well. and been busy gathering/ordering parts and getting all the metal I need to fab up custom pieces that are needed.

    So the suspension in the front I'm using Koni yellow adjustable struts, mounted in some custom strut tubes Im making, with coilover sleeves and 2.5in ID 150lb black magic springs from southwest speed, and the Ultimate street suspension setup for the rear, which your all familiar with, but using 135lb springs

    I have swapped over the entire wiring harness from the mx3 into the festiva and have 85% of it fastened in its place, just have to cut out some of the excess length and solder it back together... for the headlights mainly

    I have the engine out of the mx3, and I am currently working on moving forward the front lower motor mount and fabbing up new brackets to weld to the rear mount
    I know the mount is crooked, it was just held up to get a rough idea for measurement, still going to move it forward about a 1/4 inch.

    The F series transmission is a wide one, with the front motor mount moved forward as far as i can get it, it leaves around an inch of clearance from the steering rack at the back

    so thats where im at so far, I'll update as i do more.
    Hope ya enjoy
    IMG_0487.JPG koni's.JPG IMG_0490.JPG IMG_0495.JPG

  • #2
    Ok so today I got both the lower engine/trans mounts finished.
    for the front one I had to move it forward About 3 inches.
    and for the rear mount i used the stock Festiva one, cut off the brackets and made my own and welded them on the Festiva mount.
    still have yet to do the mount for the top passenger side though.
    I post pics once I get the passenger mount completed

    Something I’ve thought about is the length of the mx3 CV axle’s. They extend out quite a bit further than the original wheel hubs. Leaving me with the option of either cutting and shortening the CV axles or making a custom extended Control arm.

    OK well I am making this more difficult by wondering about how I’m going to put the roof on when I haven’t even completed the foundation yet. So I’m just gonna work on my next step, lol.

    Comment


    • #3
      Got the motor in. I had to adjust the front and rear lower motor mounts to make for clearance between the engine and the motor mount crossbeam.
      .(edit. I actually Had to make an entirely different rear lower transmission mount. I used the original MX three rear trans mount bracket and front motor mount setup together for the rear mount.) then had some fun painting all the motor mount stuff With bright Yellow rust check paint. Wire wheeled, sanded, and painted. Pretty simple but we’ll see how it holds up. HeresA few pictures
      4482B7D9-AEBB-4E32-9DD0-F4A4648645DA.jpeg
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Tyler77; 03-15-2020, 02:42 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Forgot to show what I did for the mounts.
        it required a bit of bending, and welding for the rear mount. And for the front mount are used to piece of square tubing and welded it to the motor mount crossbeam and drilled holes through it for the motor mount to fit it.
        I had to raise the front because the motor was touching the crossbeam Underneath. So the square tubing raised it up a little over an inch which gave Around 1 inch clearance between the motor And crossbeam.
        and the rear mount I needed to cut off everything to do with the original motor mount and fabricate my own. Reason being is that the rear mount needed to be moved 1 inch towards the driver side. And it was easiest to do with everything I had to use.

        Pre-op motor mounts in progress

        Comment


        • #5
          Looking good!
          '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
          '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
          '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

          Comment

          Working...
          X