Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine won't stay running

!988 Ford Festiva LX 1.3 Ltr engine W/O Air Conditioning

Starts up with belts screeching. Then the engine stalls out. The only thing that the (one) belt is running would be the Alternator or the Water Pump. The Engine Isn't
    overheating at the time of start up, so I presume it is the Alternator Bearing going out. When it wasn't doing this, no overheating and no problem with the alternator running the systems on the car. All of this just started today. I will take the belt loose and see if there is any play in the pulley for the water pump on the crank shaft.
    This should give me a good idea at to where the problem is.

Any suggestions would be appreciated......
    SEMPER FIDELIS

How long does it run before it stalls, does it stall while it’s still Warming up, or only after the engine has fully warmed up?

the screeching Could be just a worn out belt, or loose tensioner
    But do you mean now the Alternator is having problems charging?

Comment

The car was driven about a mile and then the belt starts screeching and the engine knocks off. On the attempt to restart, the engine stalls out after 10-15 seconds. No more than 30 seconds, and the belt is screeching all the while. Then for no reason I started it and it ran fine ( no screeching). I drove it home about one mile and shut it off. The alternator is charging just fine.
      SEMPER FIDELIS

Comment

If it were Me I would check to see that the alternator belt isn’t loose.
        I would start it up and let it idle until it’s warm, then try driving it around only close to home though, To see if it does the same thing.

i had a car that would start up fine and drive good for about 15 minutes and then stall. And would not start up until it was cooled down.
        it turned out to be a failing fuel pump.

you could borrow a fuel pressure tester gauge and if you get it to stall while at home, then test the pressure and see if that’s the problem.

Comment

The fuel line hose where it leaves the engine compartment and goes under the car can get weak and collapse cutting off the fuel supply. Easy to repalce. Also check fuel filtre for dirt buildup.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Could be the idler pulleys on the water pump and timing belt. Binding, causing timing belt to jump a tooth.
            Start it, get out, and listen in the engine bay for the source.
            Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
            Icetiva-3-race-car-build
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

Screeching sounds liek a worn alternator belt. Quick check - tighten belt. If noise goes away replace belt. To check belt tension lay a staright edge across the top of the two pullies and press down on the belt in the middle with a ruler. It should depress 1/2", 3/8" for a new belt. To tighten belt loosen the two bolts on alternator, top is clamp bolt, bottom is pivot bolt.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Sorry, don't see how loose belt or worn bearings would cause the engine to quit. Sounds more like a failing ignition control module. They are electronic and heat sensitive and subject to intermittent stalling when near their end. After sitting the car will start and run until it warms up and then the module fails - no spark. When the engine refuses to start check for spark. That could point to the module.

Comment

Originally posted by Icedawg View Post
                  Could be the idler pulleys on the water pump and timing belt. Binding, causing timing belt to jump a tooth.
                  Start it, get out, and listen in the engine bay for the source.
                  In almost 50 years of turning wrenches for a living I've only seen a belt jump just one tooth in my life, and it didn't jump back and run fine afterwards. Many things can cause a car to run and die and start back up and die again a coil, a module, a fuel supply problem and many more.But not likely that it developed 2 problems(screeching and. dying) on the same day at the same time but not related to each other.That being said If it's not starting now take the alt belt off and try to start it. As in you have an alternator or water pump locking up and causing your noise and stopping your engine.Make sure the crank puley and any other pulley aren't contacting anything.Manual transmission? Push the clutch in and start it you may have run your transmission dry.
                  Last edited by ricko1966; 05-31-2020, 01:22 AM.
                  30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Working...
                  X