No announcement yet.

Tom's B6 Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those b6 intake manifold sucks huge eggs. I wonder why the center cylinders had issues, they'd have the most direct route over 1 and 4

Comment

• Kinda makes you wonder about water methanol injection with bigger nozzles, enough fuel that could actually screw with fuel ratios, maybe that's best saved for direct port infection.

Comment

• Yeah. I've been weary of running any sort of nitrous or water injection ever since.
        I theorized that the the fuel slung to the outside once it reached the plenum. Don't have any data besides the pitted pistons to back that up
        1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
        High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
        Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

• Water meth has induced a rich condition on the engines I've run it in, even with the smallest nozzle. But, I also run 50/50 mix, which is more methanol than suggested.
          If you place the nozzle far enough up stream and don't inject too much solution it vaporizes and seems to deliver evenly.
          I point my nozzle against the flow and into the outlet of the compressor. My theory is that this is where the air speed is the greatest. It seems to work well as I have not seen a lot of the issues that most people complain about with water meth. The only problems I have had were a seized bearing in my pump because of how I mounted it and a sticky throttle shaft if the car sits for a long time. A hard chrome coating on the throttle shaft would solve that issue, and I greased my new pump really well and sealed it with rubberized coating to solve the bearing issue. The system has worked flawlessly otherwise for over 60k miles and 2 separate owners. The current owner has had no problems with the system and it's daily driven by him and his wife.
          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 04-28-2015, 03:02 PM.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• I grabbed a new/used meth injection system from Shadetree about 2?3? years ago now. It was missing the nozzle and holder, and I haven't dropped the cash on getting one so it's sat on the shelf with some other high end goodies.

I'll install it eventually. Not sure on which car, or what kind of setup. I have 4 gallons of 50/50 that came with it but I think I'd like to run more just plain distilled water as long as it's warm enough
            1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
            High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
            Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

• You probably don't need it on the AWD car. The bpt alone is enough to hurt that tranny. B6t is great on Meth, and no worries about the injector nozzle, the kits come with too large a nozzle anyway for these cars. Get the lowest flow you can get to start off.
              Last edited by Advancedynamix; 04-29-2015, 01:24 AM.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                You probably don't need it on the AWD car. The bpt alone is enough to hurt that tranny. B6t is great on Meth, and no worries about the injector nozzle, the kits come with too large a nozzle anyway for these cars. Get the lowest flow you can get to start off.
                There really can't be that much gains from the water alone, can there?

Comment

• I bet water has a much higher octane rating than methanol. lol
                  Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                  91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

• Is it cause it never auto ignites, ror. I'll just have to experiment for myself I guess. Interested in what I big 10gph nozzle would look like after water goes through the engine and comes out the exhaust on a really cold winter day. Instant snow flakes?

Comment

• Water has more benefit than the methanol, but doesn't evaporate as quickly as the water/methanol solution. It's hard to get a pure water system to deliver consistent results because of pooling and more of a tendency to separate from the air around tight radius.
                      Water cools the intake charge as it evaporates, it raises the dynamic compression ratio and also resists detonation. It increases the expansion rate of the compressed charge and it helps to spool the turbine. It does all of this better than methanol.

Comment

• Installed my AGM battery. It's an ETX 16, 325 cranking amps. $90 @ Advance Auto. The width is perfect for the Festy battery tray.

Here's a perspective shot.

This battery allowed me to relocate my air filter to the end of the MAF. With the stock battery I had it on a tube that went down vertically in front of the battery/behind the driver's headlight. Got dirtier there and didn't look as cool. To get to the battery, I just loosen one of the 8mm hose clamps on the blue connector on the other end of the MAF. The whole MAF assembly is just resting on a MC brake line, at the blue connector.

I used these battery posts so I could easily use the car's stock battery clamps. It takes a 5mm hex wrench to install them in the battery. In pic 1, you see one of the two stainless screws the battery came with, along with one of the two brass D-shaped spacers, useful for mounting the new negative battery post on the side (i.e. top, in this pic). Wasn't needed for the + side. In fact, the aftermarket posts weren't necessary, just esthetic. Originally I had the battery in there vertically, and the screws went thru the hole where you would normally put them to tighten the loops onto the normal-type battery posts, and directly into the battery top posts. But it looked dorky with the loops hanging out there doing nothing.

I think a 12" motorcycle battery strap will hold the battery down, not like it's really all that necessary.

Now to do a bit of wire tucking....
                        Last edited by TominMO; 05-18-2015, 04:06 PM.
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• Welcome to the AGM battery club for men.

Comment

• For you guys running AGM batteries, I thought I heard somewhere you have to change something with the wiring in the alternator/charging system to keep them charged right.. Is that bunk, or true? I think it was in the instruction manual with one I bought and haven't used yet, I'll have to check it again.
                            -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
                            -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
                            -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

• I've run them for years and collectively over 100k miles in Festivas with no problems. The only thing that's different is they don't like being fully discharged, so avoid that. If one is fully discharged, it must be charged parallel with a known good battery on 2 amp trickle for a day or so.

Comment

• Oh sweet, thanks for the reply Charlie!
                                -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
                                -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
                                -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Working...
                                X