bandungas BP Swap with rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bandungas BP Swap with rebuild

Ok I've finished gathering parts and am going to be prepping everything in the coming weeks for installation.

Got a BP from the junkyard with 47,000 or 147,000 miles dunno... only 5 digit odometer. Tore it all down and there was a ridge built up on the compression area of the cylinder walls. Head looks like it was recently rebuilt. Can still see numbers on the bottoms of the valves. Tore it down to replace seals and get checked for warping... just in case. I'm guessing it blew a head gasket cuz water pump and timing kit look pretty new as well.

Block had ridge removed from top of cylinders and was honed and hot tanked. Crank cleaned and polished and measured for bearings. Head is at the shop now getting cleaned and checked for warping.

New parts for build:
    ACL engine bearings
    NPR piston rings
    ARP head stud kit
    GTX intake manifold so I dont have to clear firewall.
    Full Gasket Set (EBAY)
    MSD Blaster Coil

Havent decided if I want to buy the 10.1 miata pistons or not. It'd only be 125 more from Rock Auto. But I've already spent about 600 on this....

I'm a pizza delivery driver... So this is going in my Daily Driver. I plan on mounting everything in my parts car first then swapping it over in the course of two days. I cant afford to have very much down time. For those who have made no-weld mounts. If I made one for my parts car would it then line up in my DD?

Thanks for any comments, and hopefully I'll have some pics soon.

Well looks like this has evolved into a turbo build. Just purchased a stock BP26 manifold and turbo from a canadian user on clup protege. I had already ordered the 10.1 pistons as well.... Oh well 10.1 on low boost shouldn't be tooo bad. We'll see how it goes

Comment

updates

Well The project got put on hold for quite a while but I finally got started assembling everything today.

Got the crank installed with new bearings.

I decided to keep the miata 10.1 pistons even though I'm going to be boosting. I bought some used gtr rods to help with the stress. Not shooting for much boost tho.... just what the stock VJ20 can give me.

and the rods

And heres everything assembled

Gonna assemble the head tomorrow and I'll get some pics of the car. Its raining outside now :-/

Comment

Looking good!
        Oscar

Comment

10:1 on a boosted motor. Pretty ambitious arn't you, as they came 8.2 stock on both n/a BP & BPT. But then again the mazdaspeed miata uses 9.5:1 but with much better head & tuning. How much boost you planning on though that old turbo?
          Last edited by muscle_Car1; 06-30-2010, 06:51 PM.
          It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Not more than 10 psi really. Looking for plenty of midrange power... just something fun to drive around town. The GTR rods are substantially beefier than the stock rods and should hopefully handle the power.

Its going to stay N/A for a little while to break it in. And I still have to acquire an ECU and Intercooler for the turbo setup.

Comment

looks good will be watchin this thread!
              IF ONE FESTI IS GOOD THEN TWO IS BETTER!

93 L TEAL ( this winter new paint) full 2.25" exaust w/flowmaster 2 chamber! all black interoir! coil overs and aspire swap in the wings and 14" jetta mk3 alloy wheels! bp+t on the way!

Comment

Baddest pizza delivery car, EVER. ...And I've seen a drift spec panda Hakirochu pizza car...
                In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by bandunga View Post
                  Not more than 10 psi really. Looking for plenty of midrange power... just something fun to drive around town. The GTR rods are substantially beefier than the stock rods and should hopefully handle the power.

Its going to stay N/A for a little while to break it in. And I still have to acquire an ECU and Intercooler for the turbo setup.

Actually the late model GTR rods were standard Bp rods, as their part numbers were also superseded like the good B6T rods before them.
                  It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Hmmm The only GTR rods I've ever seen are the large ones. Basically exactly the same as the B6T rods. Heres pics for comparison

Stock NA/GTX rods --> GTR Rods ---> Belfab rods

Comment

update

Well I made a dumb mistake and lost four bolts which hold the rear main seal cover in place. Luckily a CP member with an extra block saved me. Just put me a few days behind schedule.

Got the oil pan back on and the head assembled.

Didnt get any pics of the head assembled tho...
                      Installed the ARP head studs and somehow dropped one stud down an oil drain back hole. Had to remove the whole pan again to get it. Such a pain in the butt. So anyways I rushed and got the head back on the block and snapped a few pics of it.

Close up of my valve cover...

And some pics of the beast

Comment

Sweet man lookin good!!
                        Tyler

91 Festiva, 5spd, B8 swapped, now for paint and suspension

Comment

Love the wheels! Are they off another car or are they aftermarket?
                          Ian
                          Calgary AB, Canada
                          93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                          59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Bought wheels second hand for 100 bucks. Was told they were off of early 80's celica or corolla. Definitely a RWD offset.

Comment

updates?
                              -Greg
                              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                              Redneck Engineer
                              FOTY - '09
                              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Working...
                              X