No announcement yet.

AquaMutt build thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for an update. I'm making some slow progress here and there. Right now I'm running one original '89L tan seat and one '90LX grey seat:

Why? Because I can! And because it goes with my "Mutt" theme. Mutts don't need to match, although I suppose they can. (BTW, that's my only '90LX seat, and I have to work on properly mounting it with an auto belt bracket with the belt stuff cut off.)

I also have the rear bumper from that '89LX I scavenged a buncha stuff off of a few months back. I just used "Restore Black" on it and I may put that on today. It'll replace my dinged up original Aqua bumper that the PO smacked into a guardrail during a winter spin out.

Gotta keep working on my new wheel painting and I have some blue reflective pinstriping on the way too. And no, I haven't lost my tie dyed seat covers. One has been newly redone with blue fabric surrounds, and the other should be ready soon. I'm just enjoying rocking the tan and grey seats right now.

BECAUSE I CAN!

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 07-06-2011, 08:14 AM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

• I'm finished for the day. Instead of starting with a "before" pic, I'll begin with the "in between" ones:

The bumper is off. I jacked up the rear end a bit so I could get to the screw and bolt under each side more easily. It worked to get the tires out of the way. I didn't feel like removing them!

Aqua's original (hit in left rear) rear bumper is on the left; the "new" one from the '89LX is on the right. You can see there is quite a bit less corrosion on the replacement, plus it was never dinged. (I had it apart and cleaned the dirt and rocks out.)

Okay, here's the "before" pic:

And "after" with the new bumper having had a "Restore Black" session earlier:

A closer look at the dinged LR corner:

Although it is still a bit crooked there, it's due to the fender bottom, which I should have hit with a mallet or something. Some day!

All in all, Aqua's looking a bit better. I'll be taking the old bumper apart to see what damage was caused to the absorbers, etc., but that's for another day. I'll post pics if it seems interesting. (I doubt it will be.)

Aqua's been running well lately. The only kinda bad thing is that my last two tank fulls of gas got me only 31 mpg. Is my right foot THAT heavy? I guess I should pull the plugs and look at them sometime soon. Tire pressure's kept at 34 psi. in my 175/70-13s. Gotta get my Estrellas finished and put 'em on with the 175/60 Falkens...ooooo baby!

Karl
      Last edited by Safety Guy; 07-06-2011, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• NEW TIRE JOY!!

I just got these in:

Two Falken 175/60-13s to add to my original four, in case of unrepairable puncture or other loss (like happened to one of my Nokian Ws on Luxstiva--and Nokian stopped making that tire!).

Four General Altimax Arctic snows in 175/70-13. For winter. No extras on these since this tire is still made and if not, I could get any snow tire to take its place (unlike the Nokian W "all season snows"--only kind made).

Here they are at my door:

Close up of tread patterns:

And the Falken sticker, showing designation of new style "912":

I've done a couple minor trim things to Aqua, so I'll probably post pics again soon. I don't know when I'll have my Falkens on my repainted Estrellas. You know how lazy I am!

Karl
        Last edited by Safety Guy; 10-27-2011, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• Looking good, keep up the work! Oh and update us on the altimax performance!

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
          -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

• Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
            I'm finished for the day. Instead of starting with a "before" pic, I'll begin with the "in between" ones:

The bumper is off. I jacked up the rear end a bit so I could get to the screw and bolt under each side more easily. It worked to get the tires out of the way. I didn't feel like removing them!

Aqua's original (hit in left rear) rear bumper is on the left; the "new" one from the '89LX is on the right. You can see there is quite a bit less corrosion on the replacement, plus it was never dinged. (I had it apart and cleaned the dirt and rocks out.)

Okay, here's the "before" pic:

And "after" with the new bumper having had a "Restore Black" session earlier:

A closer look at the dinged LR corner:

Although it is still a bit crooked there, it's due to the fender bottom, which I should have hit with a mallet or something. Some day!

All in all, Aqua's looking a bit better. I'll be taking the old bumper apart to see what damage was caused to the absorbers, etc., but that's for another day. I'll post pics if it seems interesting. (I doubt it will be.)

Aqua's been running well lately. The only kinda bad thing is that my last two tank fulls of gas got me only 31 mpg. Is my right foot THAT heavy? I guess I should pull the plugs and look at them sometime soon. Tire pressure's kept at 34 psi. in my 175/70-13s. Gotta get my Estrellas finished and put 'em on with the 175/60 Falkens...ooooo baby!

Karl
            Yes but the MPG is gonna suffer even more with those Falkens Boss.
            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

• Mpgs suffer from the Falkens? Maybe. We'll see.

Consider that the Falkens are about the same as stock diameter. Takeoffs from a stop will be "easier" on the engine, requiring less gas for more torque required for those tall 70 series tires to move it on out. Also, the Falkens are probably a couple pounds lighter (I'll compare weights when I swap 'em). So there's another advantage. It's possible that my mileage, especially "city" mileage, will improve, or at least not change. Now at the higher speeds, the engine will have to turn faster, but then, the car will be about 3/4" lower due to the 60 series drop in height. So the aerodynamics might be a tad better, though that claim would be a bit of a stretch.

I'd guess my mileage day to day will improve slightly or stay the same. On a highway trip, it will probably suffer a bit (most likely), or at best, stay about the same.

Oh, yeah, remember, the VW alloys are 15 pounds each, compared with the Estrella's 12.5 pounds each. That's a 2.5# difference for each corner. Combined with the lower profile (and probably lighter) Falkens, it's possible I'll lighten my rotating weight from three to maybe even six pounds at each corner! My guess is around five pounds each. I'll weigh each tire/wheel combo too.

Time and testing will tell!

Oh, except for one "fly in the ointment." The change in "fun factor." Smaller, lighter tires and wheels may provide a more "high performance" feel which may totally take hold of my right foot and mess up any test results, reducing fuel economy through an addiction to acceleration! Oh well.

Karl
              Last edited by Safety Guy; 10-28-2011, 07:42 AM.

Comment

• Oh Karl I was just saying that beacuse the are a 60 series as apposed to the 70 series. Just beacuse of the OD is gonna be a little less. Thats all I meant Buddy. The do look Kool. I really like the tread pattern on the snow tires. Ever tried the FS Winterforce? Great tire for pretty cheap. But I just might try those Generals
                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

• Hey Nitro, I was just overanalysing!

The only other "snows" I've had are the Nokian Ws on Luxstiva. They are Nokian's specialty: an "all season severe weather tire" with the snowflake symbol on them. Rated year round as an all season and about 50,000 mile life (claimed), but also snow rated. They are awesome! Nokian now makes their WR in 175/70-13, but they cost around $95 easy from Tires-easy. (I think I paid around $80 each installed for my Ws from a local shop a couple years back.)

Karl
                  Last edited by Safety Guy; 10-29-2011, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• This reminded me of the Mutt
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                    The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

• Charlie wrote:

"This reminded me of the Mutt."

Ha! "Harlequin Golf."

If I ever do a Festiva up like that every body panel will not just be a different color, but they will be different PATTERNS. Yup, plaid, striped, solid, checkerboard, etc.

Oh, and the interior...he he he. Just wait.

As for now, I'm still lazy. Laziness is my main failing. Gotta get my Estrellas on the front so I can put two of my new snows on the VW rims, and then take them to get balanced. Then repeat for the rear two for a full set of snows.

It's snowing right now!

Karl

Comment

• Which reminds me...

...time for an update!

A few weeks ago, I used Bondo for the first time. I wanted to begin the process of preparing my hood to become the "canvas" for my mermaid that I will be painting on it.

First, the test spray of Krylon "Outdoor Spaces" light blue called "Ocean." Here it is along with the sanding and "rust reformer" spots I did:

Another view, showing my reflective blue 3M striping I put on the bumper and right moulding strip:

Sorry I don't have any "naked Bondo" pics. Didn't think of it! Here is my hood after covering the job with the greenish Dupli-Color primer:

Closeup of the left area where the largest rust hole was:

I think I redid that patch to smooth it out. Another pic from a different angle, showing the spray pattern which actually looks kinda nice to me:

And finally, today, with a bit of snow coming down:

Too much to do. Snow should be over and tomorrow should be clear.

Karl

Comment

• Looks great man! Good to see your restoring the body a little! Those chips and stuff on the hood are hard to get out lol, I used a grinder and paint remover pad on a drill, then sanded back down, took forever! But all the rust spots and tiny dings/chips are gone!

Can't wait to see this "mermaid" design your talking about lol, how are you gonna put it on? Like freehand airbrush/permanent marker?!?!lol/paintbrush, freehand or ..?

Btw I'm diggin the 3m strips on the bumper, they really stand out and make it look good.
                          Last edited by zoom zoom; 12-17-2011, 05:06 PM.
                          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                          1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                          1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                          1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                          1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                          1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                          1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

• Zoom asked:

"Can't wait to see this "mermaid" design your talking about lol, how are you gonna put it on? Like freehand airbrush/permanent marker?!?!lol/vinyl decal?"

Good question! It's all up in the air (or down in the ocean?) right now. I need to investigate this before spring so I'm ready to go and get it done for the Spring Fling!

At any rate, here's my inspiration:

This isn't my work, but the one on my car will be mine, but in this style. Maybe a bit more "adult" looking, but I don't mean "too risque." Just less childish. The main question will be:

Shells, swimsuit top or topless?

It's all for fun. I doubt I'll do any more Bondo. That was mainly to try it out and prepare my "canvas."

I have yet to realize my roof rack and my heavy duty trailer hitch. Interior needs finished as well as suspension improvments for better, heavier hauling. Work car stuff.

Karl
                            Last edited by Safety Guy; 12-17-2011, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• Haha lol, I was gonna say, I can send my 2nd grader up with some finger paints and straw from a broom to make it 3d to do that for you! Lol, no I see where your going with it tho, do you want the starfish in there too? And greenish water or you wanting to incorporate your blue paint into it?
                              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

• Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                                Haha lol, I was gonna say, I can send my 2nd grader up with some finger paints and straw from a broom to make it 3d to do that for you! Lol, no I see where your going with it tho, do you want the starfish in there too? And greenish water or you wanting to incorporate your blue paint into it?
                                Whoa, totally didn't mean to come across as an ahole there.. i was in a hurry cause I had to do something. My bad.
                                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Working...
                                X