No announcement yet.

AquaMutt build thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its a doojigy. Cant remember the real name.

When the coolant temp hits a certain * (you can get them to melt out at different temps) the center of that cap melts so whoever has a warranty on the engine knows its been overheated which voids the warranty. Probably the junk yard that sold it to you. Alot of machine shops use them.

/e 'heat tab'

Last edited by zoom zoom; 03-28-2014, 04:12 PM.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

• Yes! That's what it is then. Not rebuilt, just under warranty.

Thanks Matt. More pics tomorrow.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

• Looks great you are smart for doing the mains and o rings.And not pulling the pan.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk
        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

• We didn't get as far as we wanted yesterday. Cold, rain, blowing wind. Thankfully we were indoors! However, we didn't move some large stuff into my basement due to the mud we'd track in. Might have to do that anyway today. It snowed last night, but it will melt, and the temp should hit 59 degrees.

Here are a few more engine pics:

The only concern I had was the grime in the crank area bottom shown in the second picture. I'm hoping that's just accumulated crap that sank down from above and not oil coming from the oil pan end just below it.

The third pic is as far as we got. I'm rusty working on engines, not that I was ever all that fast or efficient!

Karl

Comment

• Engine looks really good! No rust inside the block and the rockers look healthy! You gonna have it back in today?
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

• Working on it right now.

Karl

Comment

• I can be up there early in the morning if you want me to. Just give me a shout anytime tonite, you got my number! Just have to be at work by 2 so i'd have to leave there by 11:45-noon.

If you pull the plugs out you can roll the crankshaft and camshaft to where they need to be to make sure its all lined up properly. Keyway points to 12 oclock camshaft is 12&3. Make the belt tight on the right side and take slop out of the left side with the tensioner. Roll crank over twice and make sure marks still line up and put it back together!!

I use a (smaller than 1/8") drill bit to put a hole in the crank seal, stick a HF pick in the hole and pull the seal out..
                Last edited by zoom zoom; 03-30-2014, 02:11 PM.
                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

• Aqua's in the garage and up on stands, awaiting tomorrow. We washed the engine bay today too. Less grime; more fun!

New B6 has new crank and cam seals, plus a new water pump, all installed. Front of engine put back together and torqued to specs.

All it needs is the rear main seal and new oil filter before it mates with the transaxle and goes in.

Karl

Comment

• It's in!!

Now for some potentially bad news. During the project, we forgot a couple things. One was the engine plate (goes between the engine and transaxle). Matt had trimmed it to go in easier when doing an engine-only swap. Then we got the flywheel on and were about to tighten the bolts when he realized the plate wasn't on! Okay, so we solved that easily enough within five or ten minutes.

Then, as we were lowering the completed engine into the bay, it dropped perfectly into place. Then I knocked some part off the right strut tower as I was guiding the engine. I didn't know what it was until I reached and picked it up: the transaxle fork actuated rotating thiingy! Kinda important for shifting, ya know! So we had to raise the engine back out and redo things. Put us back another ten minutes or so.

But it's in now, except for that potentially bad thing: another forgotten part, I think.

It's the spacer that goes directly into the rear of the crank and sits under the flywheel. Maybe Matt put it in, or maybe he didn't. I don't recall. But I know it fell out yesterday.

If I find it I'll post a picture. Stay tuned.

Oh yeah, I'll be connecting everything up today or tomorrow.

Karl
                    Last edited by Safety Guy; 03-31-2014, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• Here's that part:

Come to think of it, Matt may have used the one off my original B6, so maybe no worries.

Karl

Comment

• Where did that fall out of yeaterday? I have a few of those at the house but they're from auto flex plates. I could be wrong but that shouldn't be in there with a flywheel, just auto flex plates. If it is supposed to be there I need one too! And I needed one for the last 6-8 months since the first b6 swap!

Just to add to the madness, I snapped an axle 20 minutes from work cause of some stupid Charger lol... Ended up getting my buddy to trailer my car home and was 3 hrs late for work

Lol we were just rushing at the end so a couple things got overlooked momentarily.. I thought you had already put the throwout bearing back in after you cleaned and greased the input shaft :p
                        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

• Spacer is for auto trans only . New engine must have been in an auto .
                          New build on the way .

Comment

• Karl, did you add "rear main seal" to your emergency kit list yet?

Haha aren'tcha glad you got a buddy that did... Never know when you might have to do emergency rear main seal replacement!
                            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

• Yup, I'm adding "emergency rear main seal" to my kit!

That B6 was indeed from an ATX car. Went to a flex plate. Thanks Shade!

And thanks Matt!

Karl

Comment

• Got her started today. More later.

Karl

Comment

Working...
                                X