No announcement yet.

Attempting the Weber carb install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing. I made a little steel plate to bolt on where the front one goes last night. Hoping to get it all done tonight.

Comment

Okay shes about done. I got her running, but she is not quite by far. I got to look into that. Also she takes a little to get her going, not too long yet its noticable. I have surgery on tuesday so sometime after that I will fine tune her. She probably needs diferent jets like drddan has mentioned multiple times. I guess I was hoping I wouldent have to buy anthing else. Other than, please be patient with me. I promise to post pics and any other info to help others to do this themselves.
      Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
        ...Then you can really Fine Tune, because you have all the jet sizes available. A good tune can be had in a few hours with the kit and patience.
        An old exhaust gas analyzer would be handy. What about putting a digital voltmeter on the O2 sensor instead. It might give you a fair indication of the air-fuel mixture while changing jets. A think 0.5 volts is the expected reading at 14:1 stoichiometric. PU214 correct me if I'm off base.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieZ View Post
          An old exhaust gas analyzer would be handy. What about putting a digital voltmeter on the O2 sensor instead. It might give you a fair indication of the air-fuel mixture while changing jets. A think 0.5 volts is the expected reading at 14:1 stoichiometric. PU214 correct me if I'm off base.
          If I could do that, then that would be awesome since I can do this myself right now.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieZ View Post
            I'm not certain of the exact voltage you need to look for, but I believe the idea is sound.
            You have to get the specifics of the O2 senor your using and make sure the engine is at operating temp.
            Make sure you have good contacts, because you are looking for a small voltage difference and poor contacts can easily hide such a voltage difference.
            It also means you need to have a good DMM, or be able to borrow one.
            I'd give it a shot, better if someone who has an operating unit could provide the data off their setup to help Brickdog get his tunned in!
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

stoich can be seen anywhere between .45-.55vDC and it really depends on the sensor itself. be on the safe side and run closer to .45vDC and make sure that sensor is kept very warm durring testing because if it gets "cool" (especially at idle) the sensor will drop signal.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Kind of off topic, but are there a lot of people converting carbs? I have some casting capabilities, and could potentially produce adapters or even whole manifolds for different carbs if there is a decent demand.
                1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                  Kind of off topic, but are there a lot of people converting carbs? I have some casting capabilities, and could potentially produce adapters or even whole manifolds for different carbs if there is a decent demand.
                  That would have been helpful a couple weeks ago. However to answer your question, it seems this is becoming a trend. I am not sure how long it has been going on, but its just easier to replace the stock carb with a webber to eliminate most of the vaccum lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                    It also means you need to have a good DMM, or be able to borrow one.
                    I'd give it a shot, better if someone who has an operating unit could provide the data off their setup to help Brickdog get his tunned in!
                    I am not going to say how I got it, but I got a pretty good digital fluke multi-meter.

Comment

Do you have some kind of patternmaking equipment? I think that those with 88 or 89 Festivas are due for a carb rebuild. Unfortunately, the factory carb is all choked up and not worth rebuilding.

I doubt anyone with fuel injection (89-93) will want to convert to a carb, because they would need the carb, manifold and a bypass pressure regulator.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                        if you could make an adapter to fit a Nikki 4bbl carb from an RX-7 (FB) i would kiss you!

no, wait, if you made a long tube, highrise manifold for the aforementioned nikki, THEN i would kiss you.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by brickdog2000 View Post
                          That would have been helpful a couple weeks ago. However to answer your question, it seems this is becoming a trend. I am not sure how long it has been going on, but its just easier to replace the stock carb with a webber to eliminate most of the vaccum lines.
                          Well I dont know how much help I would have been, my foundry products usually move pretty slow, but I'm thinking for the future

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                          Do you have some kind of patternmaking equipment? I think that those with 88 or 89 Festivas are due for a carb rebuild. Unfortunately, the factory carb is all choked up and not worth rebuilding.

I doubt anyone with fuel injection (89-93) will want to convert to a carb, because they would need the carb, manifold and a bypass pressure regulator.
                          I have a mini shop at home I can use to make my own patterns. I worked in an iron foundry for ~3yrs, been to numerous other ones, and I've been hobbycasting for about 8 years now. I'll post some pics of my work below. At this point approaching winter it makes casting tough, but in spring I can get back in the swing of things

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                          if you could make an adapter to fit a Nikki 4bbl carb from an RX-7 (FB) i would kiss you!

no, wait, if you made a long tube, highrise manifold for the aforementioned nikki, THEN i would kiss you.
                          If you have the $$$

Here's a couple things I've done:

Tbird turbo inlet adapters

B6T intake pipes

Model train parts (2 trucks there, still on gating/tree)

Like I said, its a little tough for me to make parts at the moment but a carb adapter should be simple enough, if there is a demand then maybe we can work out a group buy or something.

Sorry for the threadjack...
                          -Rocketman
                          1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                          High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                          Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

drool drool drool Oh my gosh!!! How frickin' SWEET!! Those are awesome looking!! Great work,man!
                            Almost makes me want to change out the solid BILLET adaptor I made. :p
                            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...t=30959&page=2

I think your about to be inundated with requests.....
                            Last edited by drddan; 11-22-2010, 08:59 PM.
                            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I feel kind of silly. I made mine out of 3/8 aluminum using a hacksaw, a drill and a file! What a PITA! Worked out real nice though. That is some beautiful work. Wish I could do stuff like that!
                              Last edited by zoe60; 11-22-2010, 09:05 PM.

Comment

zoe60, Don't feel anything but proud. There were, and still are some pretty amazing things done just the way you did it.

Remember the movie, The Worlds Fastest Indian.

Comment

Working...
                                X