Starting a Fix/Upgrade thread B6+T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a Fix/Upgrade thread B6+T

My names Andrew, and i now own 2 Festivas.

So here it is.

1992 Festiva with a b6 na motor turbo'd with a ford mustang svo turbo. You can see the difference between my stock 88 carb and 92 turbo lol.

I recently purchased this car from. (baltzersen82)

It has a few issues that hopefully i can fix.

Power is fantastic. Boost comes on a little later than id like. But when it hits. WOW!!!

Heres a couple of shots of the engine.

Car is deffinately not perfect. But it doesnt need to be. my other festiva just turned over 73k and its my a-b car. This one has considerably more. 160k+

The interior is fairly nice. Needs a couple bits here and there.

Stereo is nice.

But no rear speakers at the moment.

All in all its a project. I hope to use this tread to keep my progress updated.

1st Concerns.
    Rear Wheel Bearing.
    Front Suspension's pretty bouncy, not sure if thats extra weight, or just bad struts.
    Injectors (im told) are 80lb. I need to find out for sure, either way, WAYYYY to much fuel. With a little help from HofficerGrover i plan to put smaller 323 gtx injectors in. Currently when i hit about 10lbs and shift the car stalls. Black smoke a plenty. Car idles high, and stumbles at low end. Hopefully all these problems get fixed with different injectors.

Id like to install a (new Boost Gauge one that measures vacuum and boost), Tach, and WideBand Air/Fuel sensor.

Currently (Right now 12:58 11/19/10) its failing inspection here in PA lol. He will give me a list of minimums i need for inspection, and ill go from there.

Thanks for watching.
    91 Festiva L no options, not one. 92 240sx sr20det, 2012 Kia Soul Red Rock Edition.

Hello Andrew

From what you have shown us, I deduce you like the color blue and you also like to pickup groceries very quickly. Me too.

What happened to your passenger headrest?

Comment

No clue what happened to it, didnt come with the car. I also have a G35 6 speed. But im looking to sell it. These Festivas are all i need. 1 fast one, and 1 reliable one. But the carb one is no slouch either. Its faster than a brand new Chrysler 300....with the tiny v6 lol.
      91 Festiva L no options, not one. 92 240sx sr20det, 2012 Kia Soul Red Rock Edition.

Comment

Wow, only 76K on your '88!

I like blue too. My favorite color!

For your "bounciness" in the front, I should be finishing up my Aqua car soon and reporting on the 2002 Kia Rio front struts with cut Aspire springs (cut one coil). I'm hoping they'll be really stable for me. If so, I'd recommend them. You could go to a fabbed coil over system too. Look up Nate's thread on that. Good write up.

Added: You look like you have stock suspension. You really need to go the Aspire suspension and brake swap route! Then bigger tires and wheels. Etc.

Karl
        Last edited by Safety Guy; 11-19-2010, 11:57 AM.
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Im actually ok with the stock suspension. But i will need to change the tires/rims. I need MOAR traction.

Comment

As far as your stalling i would probably recirculate the blow off valve back to the turbo inlet instead of venting to atmosphere. The extra air thats being lost when that valve opens during a shift or throttle close event has fuel metered for it and will causebit to run rich. Possibly cause the stall you speak of
            Tim
            '97 Aspire ST, UltraViolet Blue, 37k miles - New Storage Queen
            '03 SVT Lightning, Dark Shadow Gray, 30k miles - Storage Queen 11 months/year
            '95 SVT Aspire B3T, Green Mica, 75k miles - DD
            '01 ZX-500R, Violet Pearl/Gray, 5400 miles - Storage Queen
            '89 Suzuki FA50 Bright Red - Lake Transportation

Cardomain.com/id/aspiresvt

Previous Vehicles
            '92 Festiva L "Sport" Green Mica
            '92 Festiva GL Blue Pearl
            '92 Capri XR2 Performance Red

Comment

I was researching all morning about the BOV and if it could cause problems, also the location of the MAF. Because its before the turbo, i didnt know if that was affecting it.

I understand that theres tons of air being crammed in the intake on WOT, but then when that shuts all that extra fuel is still being dumped causing the stalling. By switching to smaller injectors im hoping to fix the problem. Otherwise the BOV is next, then the MAF.

Im glad im thinking the same way as others haha. Makes me think i have a clue on what im doing.

Comment

You know you COULD swap b6t parts onto that motor right?
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

And your fmu isn't even hooked up.
                  -Greg
                  Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                  BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                  Redneck Engineer
                  FOTY - '09
                  5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Isnt hooked up? I dont even know what part it is. My car must run on Black Magic or something. Copy and past the pic or something so i know where it is please Greg. Id appreciate you teaching me another thing or too. "Greg is my go to guy for questions everyone" ....He probably hates that hes my go to guy for questions lol.

Comment

Another thing is you DO need to recirculate your bov into your intake piping (between the vaf and mouth of the turbo). When it releases pressure that air has already been measured by the vaf, that's your stalling between shifts.
                      -Greg
                      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                      Redneck Engineer
                      FOTY - '09

Comment

On an regular B6T you can get away with a BOV. Most us Capri folks run BOV's to atmosphere, they just need to be adjusted properly. The VAF is fine pre-turbo, that is correct for B6T.

Sounds like the injectors are too big.

What ECU is the car running? No offense but the manifold looks kind of like a hackjob, and very low for the oil to drain too. Maybe just my eyes though.

Sucks you're down by philly there, im up more north I'd give ya a hand with it

Also, which SVO turbo is it? The Garrett or the IHI?
                        Last edited by Rocketman; 11-21-2010, 12:55 AM.
                        1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                        High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                        Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Svo mustang only used the t3. Way too much turbo for a stock b6d.
                          91GL BP/F3A with boost
                          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

:Rocketman:
                            How far north are you? Might be worth someone with more knowledge checking this out. No offense Greg, but i dont know if it will drive 1100 miles lol.

Comment

^ no offense taken. I'd rather someone else too.
                              -Greg
                              Redneck Engineer
                              FOTY - '09

Comment

Working...
                              X