No announcement yet.

Christian's '89 Festiva L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

okay just an update. im seriously starting to look at motor swapping because this b3 is nothing but bs!

changed the pcv valve which, for the moment, has seemed to fix my oil in the throttlebody/airbox problem.

bought the cam seal but waiting untill i can get the crankshaft seal, timing cover gasket, and valve cover gasket. oil pan gasket has been purchased but will be done with the rest of this mess.

BAD EXPERIENCE THIS MORNING! I left to go to work this morning and pulled out of the development onto a main ROAD/HIGHWAY only to find that 1) it accelerated EXTREMELY SLOW and 2) i could not for the life of me get it to go over 25mph. im hoping that it is just bad spark plugs or old cables but my gut is telling me that its either the in line fuel filter (not so bad) or im only running on two or even one cylinder. either way this has me really upset!

i want to just go ahead and do the swap but my fiance is getting really mad with me constantly using her vehicle. plus the gas mileage really stinks.

does anybody have ANY and i mean ANY quick fix ideas just to last me a couple weeks without the huge death factor of stalling out on the high way?

Comment

I have a question. What would guys think of a chop top festy? I was watching car warriors last night and saw them chop the topbof a vw bug and I think it might look cool.

Comment

^ http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...of+chop&page=4

-Josh R

Comment

Ok got a lot to do today. Spark plugs, valve cover gasket, crankshaft seal, camshaft seal, oil pan gasket. If this doesn't work then im going back to the mcparts store for a fuel filter. Question: my parts store doesn't show the 89 festy L having two fuel filters. Does this mean I can. Eliminate the fuel filter under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by 89newb View Post
            Ok got a lot to do today. Spark plugs, valve cover gasket, crankshaft seal, camshaft seal, oil pan gasket. If this doesn't work then im going back to the mcparts store for a fuel filter. Question: my parts store doesn't show the 89 festy L having two fuel filters. Does this mean I can. Eliminate the fuel filter under the hood
            I still have mine under the hood, I didnt know there was another one lol. Its always good to have two, because then if one isnt doing a very good job filtering, the other will pick up the slack.

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
            91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

Christian, while you're looking at your engine, drop the cat and make sure it's not clogged/melted on the inside, that can cause your symptoms.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

This is sort of related to the chop-top thing, but when I get my festy, I thought it might be cool to make it a hard-top convertible, and just hold the top on with those snapping latches on the inside and out. If small rubber weatherstripping was put at the seams, you could get a really tight hold. Then, when you want to go convertible, just unlatch it and lift the top off. It might work, who knows? You would have to make something to fill the gap in the back as the hatch would come off with the top, but I bet I could just cut a 2nd hatch and latch it in...
                1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
                Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
                daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
                A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

The green is safety green by rustolioum and the black is engine enemas black...

Engine enemas black? Is that the color of a full engine flush? LOL!
                  Oscar

Comment

headache

These were the event of. My Sunday,

Started car, drove into drive
                    Pulled off timing cover, throttlebody, air intake system, camshaft gear, timing belt.
                    replace camshaft seal
                    Pulled off valve cover. Re torqued rocker arm bolts to 21 ft lbs.. (source of my knocking)
                    Installed new valve cover gasket
                    Tightened valve cover bolts.
                    Torque wrench lied to me causing the bolt right under throttle body to break off
                    Couldn't get bolt out.
                    continued to tighten remaining 5 bolts so car can go to shop to get that broken bolt removed.
                    new spark plugs installed gapped to .038
                    CAR WONT START.

Check plug wires for spark. Got it
                    checked distributor for cracks and corrosion...nothing
                    plugs are getting fuel. Can smell it. Wtf...

So tonight im gonna align the motor to TDC. Any other guesses?

Comment

So tonight im gonna align the motor to TDC...
                      You didn't do that before taking the timing belt off? I would take it off and align your cam properly at tdc.

Also, did you unplug the sparkplug wires? Make sure they are in the correct plug. Make sure the tps and vaf plugs are snug too.
                      Oscar

Comment

Unfortunatly no I didn't do it before hand. It wasn't till after the fact I realized the sequence of this task

Comment

Didnt check the cat yet either. Will do that tonight as well.

Comment

Paint scheme possibility

lemme know what you think
                            \

Comment

get rid of the fat swoop... and keep the mirrors black (less is more when you're working with such a loud color) and you'll need rims....
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

lemme know what you think
                                Hate it. But it's your car, if you like it go for it!
                                Oscar

Comment

Working...
                                X