Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My B6T Festiva

Hello everyone,
    I'm not too big on Internet forums but I'll give it a shot. I picked up a '93 Festiva with the B6T swap this weekend past. Recently sold my S14 240SX because of the tickets it was attracting to buy something a little less noticeable. Not sure how exactly that turned out, was planning on buying a B13 SE-R. But I'm a Mazda guy at heart, ever since my parents purchased a new 626 back in 1990, although I didn't know it at the time. Anyway my best friend loves hunting craigslist and found this '93 Festiva with the motor swap done, and since we both have the B6T motors in our turbo Miatas he wanted it so he called up the guy and put a deposit down, but then his fiance found out about it and shut it down. I happen to be single and be sitting on some cash from the recent sell so I jumped on it. It felt rough on the way home, it did not like the transition from vacuum to boost and felt very rough, but once it got into boost it was difficult to keep pointed straight in 1st and 2nd, the tires stopped spinning in 3rd for the most part, but it was still difficult to keep pointed straight under hard acceleration. While driving on the highway on the way home it started backfiring real bad and I knew I'd lost spark on at least one cylinder. Before this I had apparently been cruising at 90mph due to how straight it was on the highway but didn't know it at the time because the car has no speedo cable, my friend following in my family's '88 626 let me know later. So anyway we pulled over and found that the throttle cable had worn through one of the plug wires and was grounding the spark. After we remedied that we were back on some back roads for safety's sake and it was running rougher still than at first, still managed to pull on some guy in a Z28 Camaro at a light while backfiring, lol, I enjoyed that. Anyway, today I was gathering parts for a tune up including new NGK plugs, new distributor rotor, couldn't find a new cap so I just cleaned the old one, went to four different parts stores to find one but nothing. Tracked down some used plug wires from a '95 Protege for the time being until I can get some NGK's, I've worked at Mazmart since '06 so I have good access to parts. Got home and installed everything, pulled some damn Autolite plugs out of the motor. Took it for a test drive and it was completely different than the day before. No hesitation in transition to boost, the motor felt smooth and strong everywhere. Too much power for the car's current configuration. Need to back the boost off until the car is more controllable. I'm new to these vehicles so I don't know about factory or aftermarket upgrades I can do, the car also came with a Ford Aspire parts car, which I'm told I need to take suspension and hub/spindle parts from so I can get a 4 x 100 bolt pattern. The car is in bad need of proper suspension and brakes so I just need to spend time searching and reading about such things, although I wouldn't mind at all if someone points me in the right direction. To wrap all of my rambling up I'm excited about what this car is capable of and I know if I can set it up right it will be an extremely fun car that's reliable and can embarrass much more expensive sheet metal.

I'll attach some pics so everyone can admire her beauty, lol.

-Travis
    '89 MX-6 GT, 2560R
    '91 Miata MSPNP 2871R B6T
    '93 Festiva B6T

Pics pt 2
    '89 MX-6 GT, 2560R
    '93 Festiva B6T

Comment

Pics pt 3
      '89 MX-6 GT, 2560R
      '93 Festiva B6T

Comment

Pics pt 4
        '89 MX-6 GT, 2560R
        '93 Festiva B6T

Comment

haha we just started a thread about the cl post for this car nice score! u defenetly wont draw any attention from the cops!!

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
          1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
          R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
          00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
          03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
          pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
          Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
          Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

aspire swap will give you 4x100. there are several in the atlanta area. stock is 4x114.3. you can get civic coilovers cheap and that tends to help handling.

If you feel like driving to birmingham between me and gestiva we have a pile o parts that would clean your car up.

Congrats on the buy! I saw it last week but don't have the cash for more project cars
            Previous:
            1991 GL. (01' ranger lights!) P/S,A/C Sold to Mum.
            1990 auto. hacked up rally toy.
            1988 5 speed. The pile
            1993 5 speed.
            1995 5 speed aspire. Gutted for the 90' auto.

Comment

Welcome. Look around and you will find all the info you need.
              -Greg
              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
              Redneck Engineer
              FOTY - '09
              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

as far a brakes and all that jazz, do the aspire suspension swap you will be impressed with the results not to mention the better wheel selection with the 4x100 bolt pattern.. as far as ignition parts try the mercury capri xr2.
                Last edited by takeone51; 03-14-2011, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988festivazoom View Post
                  haha we just started a thread about the cl post for this car nice score! u defenetly wont draw any attention from the cops!!
                  Thanks! I did see that thread the other day, currently the car is straight piped so once I add a muffler I'm hoping she'll fly under the radar.

Originally posted by sedat View Post
                  aspire swap will give you 4x100. there are several in the atlanta area. stock is 4x114.3. you can get civic coilovers cheap and that tends to help handling.

If you feel like driving to birmingham between me and gestiva we have a pile o parts that would clean your car up.

Congrats on the buy! I saw it last week but don't have the cash for more project cars
                  I knew about the 4 x 100 pattern of the Aspire but I didn't know about the Civic coilovers, what years should I look for? I appreciate the offer I'll definitely keep in touch with you. Thanks!

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                  Welcome. Look around and you will find all the info you need.
                  I will, seems to be alot of great info here.

Originally posted by takeone51 View Post
                  as far a brakes and all that jazz, do the aspire suspension swap you will be impressed with the results not to mention the better wheel selection with the 4x100 bolt pattern.. as far as ignition parts try the mercury capri xr2.
                  I've got a complete Aspire to pull parts from so I'll give that a shot, and every place I've gone to I've told them I had a '93 Capri XR2 but no one seems to stock parts for the car.
                  '89 MX-6 GT, 2560R
                  '93 Festiva B6T

Comment

^wow, thats weird... try the allmighty ebay perhaps?

Comment

88-91 civic springs.
                      Previous:
                      1991 GL. (01' ranger lights!) P/S,A/C Sold to Mum.
                      1990 auto. hacked up rally toy.
                      1988 5 speed. The pile
                      1993 5 speed.
                      1995 5 speed aspire. Gutted for the 90' auto.

Comment

Originally posted by sedat View Post
                        88-91 civic springs.
                        Yeah I've been doing some research on the Ground Control coilover setup for those vehicles but there don't seem to be any dampers sufficient enough to control them. Saw a youtube video a guy bouncing around an autox course and I don't want my car to be doing that.

-Travis
                        '89 MX-6 GT, 2560R
                        '93 Festiva B6T

Comment

Nice find, for some reason that one looks familiar to me, meh, either way, welcome to the site and i'm sure you'll enjoy your new toy

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                            Nice find, for some reason that one looks familiar to me, meh, either way, welcome to the site and i'm sure you'll enjoy your new toy
                            Thanks, yeah I'm liking it more and more each day, although I've only owned it since Sunday. Just took delivery of the '95 Aspire that came with it today, looks like it has a lot of good parts even with 190k on the clock. I've made my living selling Mazda parts since '06 and I've seen a bunch of Mazda part numbers I've never heard of before in the past couple of days, can't believe it's taken me this long to make this discovery. Going to be doing the suspension/brake swap here soon, from what my research has shown the AT Aspires have slightly larger brakes (or calipers) than the MT cars, seems odd, but guess it's not a bad thing the doner car is AT. Will probably order stainless steel brake lines from FMS tomorrow, and I'm greatly leaning towards using the Raceland coilovers from the MK II/III VW Golfs. Would like to go slightly softer with the spring rates but I can't be too picky given the nature of the car I'm working with. Also ordered an ecu with the Rocketchip on Tuesday, not that more power is a priority right now but if it's anything like the chip I got for my turbo MX-6 it will do a great deal to smooth out power delivery when transitioning into boost. Thanks for all the great info everyone! This site is a great resource and I'll do what I can to contribute info based on what I learn through the process. Will also try to include as many pictures as I remember to take along the way.

-Travis
                            '89 MX-6 GT, 2560R
                            '93 Festiva B6T

Comment

Originally posted by STravisVrooman View Post
                              Yeah I've been doing some research on the Ground Control coilover setup for those vehicles but there don't seem to be any dampers sufficient enough to control them. Saw a youtube video a guy bouncing around an autox course and I don't want my car to be doing that. -Travis
                              that guy was me lol part of the problem was the 205-60-14 fronts gripped like mad! but the stock 12 rear tires just rolled over lol and i got whiplash really bad from it for about 3 weeks i had a verry stiff neck!
                              i still run the same stiff suspension but with 195-60-14 falken azenis tires and it is smooth in the corners and grips like nobodys buisness, 40-45 mph on a 90* turn.

is this the vid u where refering too??
                              Last edited by 1988festivazoom; 03-16-2011, 08:50 PM.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
                              1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
                              R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
                              00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
                              03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
                              pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
                              Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
                              Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Working...
                              X