No announcement yet.

The resurection of my 89L!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! I have been filling and sanding all morning. I'm having a slight problem though. I guess where the major dent happened the top flat panel close to the window was pulled down when it go hit so as of right now I have everything smoothed out but that part. Where it should have a body line or corner, its kinda flat and then turns back into the body line. Its not a big deal i'm just going to have to refill and then hand sand it down and form the body line. Wait till I get pictures up. It looks really good!

Yeah I cant lie, I am trying to get a super clean body! Im a total noob at doing body work but I can do it. I learn better by doing actually.
    Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 06-06-2011, 08:09 AM.
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Here is some pix of the 2nd go around with bondo and sanding. I don't think it looks to bad but the for the 3rd time i'm going to bondo, hard sand it down alittle, and then wet sand it by hand to try and reform the top body line. Here are the pix:

You can kinda see in the bottom picture where the top panel near the window is kinda pulled down. This was from where it got hit.
      Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 06-06-2011, 08:45 AM.

Comment

maybe I should bring you my festy and have you do the body work. haha. I hate body work, been putting it off for two weeks now
        Previous owner of ZEFstiva

Comment

Pm me a few pictures and I'll see if its something I can do. Surely it can't be no worse then what i'm doing now.

Comment

So you didn't finish filling all the gaps with weld? You just bondo'd the gaps full?
            1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
            1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
            1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
            1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
            2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
            2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
            2005 Accord - wife's DD
            2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
            2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
              So you didn't finish filling all the gaps with weld? You just bondo'd the gaps full?
              Yeah the welder was blowing the metal out really bad. We were lucky to get as many tacks as we did. The gaps were no more then 1/16", so I figured filling them wouldn't be that bad. Before I done all this I pretty much punched the area to see how good the tacks held and it didn't pop in or anything. I'm working on the third round of filling and sanding right now. This is going to be the last time I mess with this area. Once done i'm going to primer it until I can get around to finding some silver rattle can paint to kinda match it. I will eventually paint the whole car but for now I just need to finish this so I can move on to other things.
              Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 06-06-2011, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Here is some pix of the last go around with this spot. A whole day later this is what I have done:

Its not perfect but i'm not a perfectionist either. I think it looks better then a huge dent. I still have a little spot that I will start on this evening. Its more towards the back.

Comment

Working on swapping out the rear harness so I can swap in a 91 harness so I can run automatic seat belts. The reason for this is because of my head liner and all the interior pieces i'm missing for manual seat belts. Sounds dumb I know but I dont have any money to spend on interior and all that junk. I only have what I have so I must make due. Word of advise, dont do this, its a major pain in the buttox!

Once I get done with this car the whole car wiring harness will be swapped, seat belts swapped, head liner swapped, engine swapped, tranny swapped, and aspire swapped. If I do this right this will be a 0 dollar budget build. So far I haven't spent a dime.
                  Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 06-06-2011, 04:00 PM.

Comment

God this seat belt BS is really getting on my last nerve. Come to find out you can't put auto seat belts in a manual car. The reason why is because there is only half the bolt holes to do it. I don't understand why the manufacture done this but its probably the stupidest thing I ever saw. It has all the bolt holes for the runner part of the seat belt but none at all for the seat belt motor. So after taking my manual seat belts out I now have to reinstall them. Bout half tempted to send em all to the crusher!

Comment

The car is an 89 and the auto belts were a 90-93 feature. Think they could predict the future or something?

The motor doesn't really do anything other than push and pull the belt along the door frame. As long as the 'driving' position of the belt runner is securely bolted to stock holes, they will be fine if you can figure out a way to mount the motors.
                      -Zack
                      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
                        The car is an 89 and the auto belts were a 90-93 feature. Think they could predict the future or something?

The motor doesn't really do anything other than push and pull the belt along the door frame. As long as the 'driving' position of the belt runner is securely bolted to stock holes, they will be fine if you can figure out a way to mount the motors.
                        Well the only real reason for this was because I swapped in a 91 rear harness so I figured I could swap the seat belts to so I didn't have plug ins that didn't go anywhere but that simply isn't the case. So Ill be putting the manual seat belts back in it and just leave the harness unplugged where its suppost to plug in for the seat belt motors. Still don't understand why they just didn't finish making 5 more holes so this swap could be done. It has holes where they need to be there just isn't any threads.

Once I get this done im going to try and get the rear hatch on it and some doors. I put in the other quarter windows and cleaned up the chipping glue that was on the floor pans. After that I can run the engines harness and start to put my 91 dash in it. Slowly but surely.
                        Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 06-08-2011, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Does anyone know if having the seatbelt motors unplugged if it will throw a seatbelt light?

Comment

It wont the light works off the buckle not the motor
                            1991 stiva.

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_cogar View Post
                              It wont the light works off the buckle not the motor
                              Must not be to busy at work huh?

Comment

I am so glad Canadian festy's were all manual belts lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Working...
                                X