Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybelline - Taz's 1990 Auto

So I guess it's time to officially start a build thread on this one

Here's some of the back story on the car that I posted up in the photo gallery when we first brought her home.

Originally posted by Zanzer
    A while back I sold a 90 L plus to FF member Taz. He got it for his son but Taz liked the car so much he then wanted one for himself. So FF member Sensei sold him an 89 auto that he had. Well, his wife liked the 89 so much she claimed it! LOL So there's poor Taz, still without a car of his own....until this one popped up in the For Sale section a few days ago :thumbup:

Taz and myself went to Virginia Beach to pick this car up yesterday. I got a chance to hang out and talk to Jay (Kartracer46) for a while and he told me some of the history of the car. Turns out it's one of Dean's cars that Jay helped bring back to life. That upped the cool factor exponentially. So, after 15 hours and about 720 miles we got her back to NC. I got a chance to work on her a little today. She had a little tick on cylinder #3 so I replaced the rocker rail with one out of the head on my 93 since I replaced it's motor with an Aspire engine a few weeks ago. She needs a little TLC but Taz is a certified Festiva nut now and he has great plans for the car.

Well, Taz has gotten bumped back into the 89 now that I finished up for him just before 4thTiva (wish I would have done a build thread on that one too). A couple of days after bringing Maybel home Taz came down to the shop one day and told me his wife Aldis had changed her mind about the 89 and had laid claim to Maybel I was also instructed to use her proper name "Maybelline" and I have already been corrected a few times! LOL What can I say? I'm a creature of habit!

I have been given a pretty big "to do" list on this one so I hope Barb (Smedley) and Jay (Kartracer46) have confidence in me and they don't cringe too much when I start posting pics of the tear down that started today I think I've won over Taz and Aldis with my last 2 builds for them so luckily they pretty much give me free reign and they don't get too much of a worried look on their faces when I start slinging parts :laughing6:

Oh, and here's the song that keeps repeating over and over in my head whenever I'm working on her. I just hope life doesn't imitate art in this instance :mrgreen:

http://youtu.be/8RAfxiyMKAk

Here's a really cool pic that Jay sent me of Maybelline sitting beside Lucky at Dean and Barb's "farm" before they both became rescue projects

Here's some pics the day after we brought her to my place

I started tearing her down tonight and I'll get some good pics of the process tomorrow in the daylight.
    If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
    Zulu Ministries

nice ride!, i love that muffler are all tazz cars coming to fm5? we might have to start a convoy! oh mabelline why cant you be blue , great job zanzer, you & jay just keep em rolling!
    Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Mark, I won't cringe at anything you do to get her going. You should see Aquastiva, she is in pieces right now. Getting cleaned and fixed up.

Yes, you guys need to plan a convoy from the west to Madness. I know the Bakers are coming down early to help me out, but you can pick up others on your way over.
      1992 Green GL - "It's not easy being green" - Kermit - RIP killed by a tree
      1992 Aqua Funtop - Belle
      Wife of V8Festiva.

Madness Committee Member
      website www.festivamadness.com

Comment

Originally posted by kumalaba View Post
        nice ride!, i love that muffler are all tazz cars coming to fm5? we might have to start a convoy! oh mabelline why cant you be blue , great job zanzer, you & jay just keep em rolling!
        I know Taz will be bringing 2 if I have this one finished. I'm not sure if they'll be bringing his son's 90 L Plus.

That's a negative on the blue! It's gonna be enough work to get her one complete shade of red and hide the silver! LOL

Originally posted by Smedley View Post
        Mark, I won't cringe at anything you do to get her going. You should see Aquastiva, she is in pieces right now. Getting cleaned and fixed up.

Yes, you guys need to plan a convoy from the west to Madness. I know the Bakers are coming down early to help me out, but you can pick up others on your way over.
        I know Jay is doing a ton of work to Aqua so I know it's gonna be sweet How did that aqua paint work out for you guys? I'm thinking of getting some mixed for Maybelline but with all the painting she needs I may just buy the materials and spray her myself because she'll probably need 2+ cans if I use the premix. I'm gonna get some paint prices and go from there.

Taz and I have talked about convoying. I know he's up for it and so am I. For me, it depends on my living situation when the time comes. If I'm still in NC, we'll probably convoy but if I'm at the new job by then I'll be driving down from Jersey.

WWZD
        Zulu Ministries

Comment

The paint looks good to me. I sprayed a sample and held it against the car to see and I like it, but I'll let Jay do the actual touch up since he's the expert.
          1992 Green GL - "It's not easy being green" - Kermit - RIP killed by a tree
          1992 Aqua Funtop - Belle
          Wife of V8Festiva.

Madness Committee Member
          website www.festivamadness.com

Comment

If the new is a little off from the old he can compound and wax the old paint and that should make it match pretty well. Plus it's great excuse to compound and wax the whole car LOL

Hehehe, I hope Jay doesn't kill me for just adding a big chore to the "to do" list :sad5:
            Last edited by Zanzer; 07-10-2011, 11:12 AM.

WWZD
            Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
              Taz and I have talked about convoying. I know he's up for it and so am I.
              I'll join the convoy!
              "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

^^ if you don't sell your car :p

WWZD
                Zulu Ministries

Comment

Snapped a couple of tear-down pics today.

Here she is with everything stripped off the front

I got a glimpse of this while looking the car over last night. This is why I decided to strip everything off and get a better look. I was thinking about hitting it with a wire brush and some good primer but upon further inspection the metal is torn and in pretty rough shape so I'll probably just cut it out and smooth the edges. I don't think it really does much as far as protecting the washer reservoir but I'm thinking if it needs something there I'll cut a thin sheet of stainless and screw it in place. So far this is the only rust I've found in the car so I'm pretty happy about that!

Got the new canopy up and in place. It's been pretty nasty here the past few days. This is a little smaller than the 10x10 I borrowed from Taz but it'll still be a huge help with the heat. I just wish it was reversible where the blue would be on the inside and the silver reflective part on the outside. Oh well, it's still better than the 90*+ inside the shop. I think I may be breaking out the monster fan soon too.

The next thing on the list is to start pulling the head and the rest of the drivetrain.

WWZD
                  Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
                    ^^ if you don't sell your car :p
                    I have a feeling I'll be keeping it (at least til then)
                    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Working...
                    X