No announcement yet.

I call this... Progect Pheonix. :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like a fart can. Nice at idle, though. My old Neon with a straight pipe and just a cat up front sounded like that. Lots of popping and cracking.

At the time I loved it. I got over it after a short while.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

• I think that's what may happen to me. If it does I will probably put a chambered muffler on and I think it will sound pretty good.

Comment

• If you could put a bit of a restrictor in that muffler, I bet you'd be satisfied with the result

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Looks like the pipe is huge? That'd make it sound the way it does. Maybe a little steel wool recessed up into the muffler a bit, just anything to stop the direct flow out

Comment

• Originally posted by bhearts View Post
            Looks like the pipe is huge? That'd make it sound the way it does. Maybe a little steel wool recessed up into the muffler a bit, just anything to stop the direct flow out

Its 2 inch up to the muffler. The muffler is 2.5 inlet with a 4in tip.

Comment

• i have a full 2" exhaust and it is nowhere near that loud or high pitched.

then again its not abuilt engine either though.
              i would suggest getting a resonator, the biggest one you can find,
              i went with magnaflows stainless 2"in/out straight round.
              the body is 4.5"wide with a 2.5"core and is 18"long with an extra couple inches on each end for the pipe.

put it after the catalytic converter and it will smooth out all those high pitch sounds and clean up the sound while reducing the decibel's
              it may even make that muffler sound good, but with that 4" tip it is just a big megaphone that amplify's the sound.

if you still dont like the megaphone muffler, you can always get a stock sized muffler that is 2in/out straight through perforated core and it will work just as well.
              will be louder than stock, but will also have a cleaner sound.

just my .02c

p.s. great to see your car is finally up and running, cant wait to see it go.
              Last edited by rmoltis; 05-29-2014, 03:03 PM.
              Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

• I have a resonator. Check the pics on page 14 post #134. It is a 2" inlet/ outlet. I think I may try making a baffle to slip in the end of the muffler to quiet it down.

Comment

• I see it now,

I guess a straight pipe back to the res. & muffler really is having a hard time being muffled.

If I had no catalytic converter.
                  I would probably install a second resonator where the cat would be and have a square muffler at the end.
                  All straight through of course.
                  It would be more free flowing than with a cat, while having only a tiny amount of restriction introduced from the second resonator.

Built motors just tend to be loud and so personally I would want to tame that exhaust so it was more clean that loud.

But I do like some noise!
                  If it too silent that's no fun either.

The exhaust is looking nice btw I didn't see it until I went to page 14
                  Last edited by rmoltis; 05-29-2014, 04:30 PM.
                  Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

• Thanks. I am going to try and make a baffle to put in the muffler. If that doesn't work or sound good then I will cut the muffler off and put a chambered muffler on.

Comment

• When I'd gotta a ticket from a tropper for loud exhaust, I literally put a sock over the tip of my home made straight through muffler .then I placed a wire mesh screen door like material over that. It killed my acceleration, or maybe it felt like it did because I couldn't hear the exhaust anymore. But cruising down the road my vacuum readings were totally normal. But the old sock trick was over kill.

Comment

• Originally posted by bhearts View Post
                        When I'd gotta a ticket from a tropper for loud exhaust, I literally put a sock over the tip of my home made straight through muffler .then I placed a wire mesh screen door like material over that. It killed my acceleration, or maybe it felt like it did because I couldn't hear the exhaust anymore. But cruising down the road my vacuum readings were totally normal. But the old sock trick was over kill.

Haha. I have never heard of that being done before.

Comment

• Yeah mine was also really raspy at first with just the rear muffler so I added a inline magnaflow and that helped a ton still has a good sound but took the edge off so it wasn't as raspy. I was gonna do a flowmaster but Matt said chambered mufflers sound like crap on 4 banger motors.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by drumnerd33; 05-29-2014, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• A bit of an update. I think I got the ticking down to an acceptable level but I noticed that the cam gear wobbles quite a bit even though it is torqued properly. Has anyone seen this before? I think I might just get a Miata cam gear because I know its stronger. Also I took a short video of the wobble and some revs.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13qT...6Gj6mu4Sq4catg

Comment

• A bit of an update. I have the rear coilovers put together but not installed yet. I also just picked up a set of Enkei RP01 15x7 +38 wheels for $100 on craigslist. They are already stripped an blasted, ready for coating. I am thinking a bronze color but not sure. Here is the album of the wheels and rear coilovers. http://imgur.com/a/R7RVv Let me know what you think and maybe some opinions on wheel colors.

Comment

• Another smallish update. I got a few deliveries the last few days...

They will be installed on Saturday. Just in time for a cruise on Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                                X