Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
    They do look good!
    If the dual pattern is 4 on 4-1/2 by 4 on 100mm, it is a no brainer!
    The red car is Aspire swapped and it's all going on the aqua car so that's not an issue.

As much as I like the style of wheel, after checking for clearances etc I've decided that I'm not going to go with these ones. Even with Tein coilovers on the back it's a little too close for comfort. I think I'm going to try and find a similar 14"x6" wheels with the appropriate offset. Thanks for the input.

Ian
    Last edited by fastivaca; 10-09-2015, 06:51 PM.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

• ^YES. And white. YES again.
      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

• Fill the empty lug bolt hole then paint..add aqua sparkles to the white paint?
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

• Got a bit more done today.

Cam and front crank seals replaced. Timing belt installed.
          Valve cover dressed up a bit.

If you look back at earlier photos you'll see that it was solid red. I sanded off the red from the high spots and polished it up a bit.

Thanks for continued interest!
          Last edited by fastivaca; 10-09-2015, 11:49 PM.
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

• 14x6 with a 165 55 14 tire is a nice setup. I love my 165 50 14 Achilles Economist tires. They are quiet, ride smooth and hook up very well in rain, and even mud.

The valve cover looks great Ian!
            Last edited by Advancedynamix; 10-11-2015, 03:35 PM.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• More goodies acquired....

Also picked up an Interstate battery spec'd for an early MX-5/Miata. It's nice and small at 7.5"×5"×7" high. Here's a photo of it sitting on the stock Festiva battery tray...

Engine is coming together slowly. Next steps are to bolt down the intake properly, install the flywheel and clutch, modify the B6T oil pan, bolt up the transmission and then throw it in the engine bay.

Wiring harness will be going back in the next few days too.
              Last edited by fastivaca; 10-31-2015, 02:59 PM.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• RIP red 92 B6 Festiva

Well, the project car just moved the priority list. My red 92 Festiva has been making some unpleasant mechanical noises at the front of the engine along with worsening fuel consumption. A couple of times I would get a rather larger blast of smoke out the exhaust while accelerating. I tried to isolate the noise over the last couple of days eliminating the water pump and alternator as potential sources. I had already removed everything related to the A/C in the engine compartment except for the pulley. So I removed that and also went back to the stock pulley for the water pump and alternator. Looked like there could have been a bit of play in the cam gear as well so I replaced that. Buttoned everything back up and it would start. Checked for both spark and fuel, they were OK. When to double check that I hadn't turned things 180ş when putting it back together and discovered that the timing gear on the end of the crankshaft was turning on the end of the crank!!! My assumption is that the key and/or keyway has worn out. The short block of this engine has over 600,000km (360,000 miles) on it so I can't complain.

We were hoping the red car would take us through the winter but we've decided not to spend any more time or money on the red car and focus on getting the project car done. Just have to figure some logistics as we are down to one vehicle.

Watch this space for updates coming sooner and faster than anticipated and also watch the "for sale" section as there will be a number of goodies off the red car be offered up.

Thanks for your continued interest!

Ian
                Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Just re-read my last post... realized I made some typos. Meant to say that it wouldn't start after putting it back together. Should also read "Went to double check.." not "When to double check..."

Note to self.... make sure you proof read your posts before hitting the 'submit reply' button :highly_amused:

Ian
                  Ian
                  Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Was that a short nosed crank engine? (Pre 1992)
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                      Was that a short nosed crank engine? (Pre 1992)
                      Engine block was out of a 1986 Mazda 323. Installed the EFI intake off an 88 before installing it.

Ian
                      Ian
                      Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Watch for some major updates in the next couple of days. The '92 is up on stands ready to be dismantled. It's going to be +1°C and sunny tomorrow so I plan to get as much off it as possible...

Working on the last few bits of wiring this evening. A huge thank you to Rob, aka 'shadetree', for his help with this. He's always been quick with an answer, both here on the forum and via text, to what must seem like an awful lot of questions. Jed, aka 'icedawg', has also provided some valuable information on the wiring.

Most of the readily available information has been about the Capri harness swap. Seeing as I'm using the 323GT harness and there are some potentially confusing differences I hope to put together a post on those differences.

Thanks for your continued interest.
                        Last edited by fastivaca; 12-30-2015, 06:42 PM.
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Hey thats a 121 front end and it looks like aspire its swapped.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                          '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
                          '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
                          '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
                          '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
                          '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
                          '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                          '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

• Originally posted by David88 View Post
                            Hey thats a 121 front end and it looks like aspire its swapped.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                            Very observant sir! Both the 121 front end and the entire Aspire suspension with the Tein coilovers will be going into the project car.
                            Ian
                            Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Some wiring progress! There isn't much of the Festiva harness needed at the firewall so I cleaned things up a bit. The only plugs needed are the daytime running lights, windshield wiper motor and brake warning light.

BEFORE

AFTER

The bit of harness you can see in the second photo is from the 323GT. The remaining plugs & wires in the Festiva harness are taped back between the splash guard and fender so they are out of the way but still available if the need arises. The wiring for the coil that ties in with the 323GT harness is spliced in close to the front.
                              Last edited by fastivaca; 12-30-2015, 08:57 PM.
                              Ian
                              Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• That red car is a good looking car, rusted out?
                                Jack Byrd,
                                1991 Capri
                                1988 Festiva LX, 240K
                                1970 Chev C10
                                1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

Working...
                                X