My 93 Festiva 2nd life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 93 Festiva 2nd life

Well it starts about a month ago, I decide I drive alot of miles and want to get a car for gas mileage. My daily which is a 93 S10 gets about 20mpg but is needing some work and I've been planning on doing a lot of upgrades and a motor swap so I wanted a cheap car to drive while thats down. So I start weighing my options, I had always kinda wanted a festiva but as now as I'm looking and searching for a car I cant seem to find any that fit my budget and are close by. I knew a guy that drove one but he never wanted to sell it. He is a country singer and commuted to work and to gigs in it. I decided I would give it a shot and tracked down his number and gave him a call, he said that just a couple days earlier him and his dad were discussing that they needed to get rid of it since it was just sitting at the house and had been for over a year. Perfect! So I told him I wanted to see it as soon as possible. I knew it was rough but I had no idea just how rough. He told me he wanted $300 because hes been offered that before. I said if i can get it running relatively easy ill buy it. The next day I went over there and pulled the plugs, shot some pb down the cylinders to help lubricate the rings, poured some fresh gas in the tank along with some octane booster to freshen up what stale gas was in it and hooked up some cables and let it charge. It took awhile because the battery was junk but with a little ether it fired right up and idled. Since it needed a battery and was filled with trash I would give him $250 and it was mine. After the 30 mile drive home in the rain I realized that it needed a lot so I ordered a ton of parts from rock auto and waited for warm weather to start working on it.

When the weather changed I cleaned it and took out all the interior for a proper cleaning. I also cleaned about 15 years of oil leak from under the hood. I replaced the control arms, inner and outer tie rods, tore the rack down and regreased it and replaced the bellows, and replaced the brakes on the aspire parts and installed them. The old stuff was awful, a sway bar bushing was completely missing and the ball joints were dry without a trace of grease. It had a bent inner tie rod and the outers had so much play I was surprised they hadnt come apart. I also replaced a broken speedometer cable. The car needed a tune up bad since they have never done anything to the car unless it broke for almost 20 years! Im surprised it ran. So I replaced the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs along with a new distributor o ring. I also cleaned the maf and replaced the air filter.

So the future plans are to do the timing belt and water pump and get it ready for a large road trip. I've never been west of Denver and plan on seeing the west from behind the wheel of my little beater.

Day I bought it
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395014530.848314.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395014566.782002.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395014597.142751.jpg

As it sits currently
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395014623.506571.jpg

Very cool, nice story
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Ah, the $250 Festiva!

No matter how much work goes into it, you still get to tell people "I bought it for $250 and get 40MPG. What'd you pay for your Prius?"

Congrats.
      White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
      White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
      1988 LX 5-speed
      ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

Lol about $1000 in at the moment

Comment

nice car!
          Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Its a beater and im just giving it a second chance. Hopefully it will do me well for awhile.

Comment

they are very tough if you do regular maintenance. my first festiva, an 88 lx had over 425k on it when i sold it & it was still running great. my recent car mouse i traded a g series transmission for from a friend(0 rust)
              Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

This one is on the original clutch and timing belt. Odometer says 179k but has been broke for 10-15 yrs

Comment

Great story, thanks for sharing! I love to see people resurrecting cars. Normally this one would have gone to the JY, just because they didn't maintain it.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Yeah honestly I wish I had waited and got one a little nicer.

Comment

You can always sell one when you find another.
                      -Zack
                      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Yeah, i dont think i could even break even on it. The body is rough. Has patina lol

Comment

Originally posted by falkenfighter View Post
                          Yeah honestly I wish I had waited and got one a little nicer.
                          The beauty of the Festiva is you still can!
                          Just transfer over all the good bits from your current functional beater to the better body.
                          Still cheap.
                          Last edited by Pu241; 03-17-2014, 11:14 AM.
                          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                          '92 Aqua parts Car
                          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                          Your holy ghost will not save you.
                          Your God plutonium will not save you.
                          In fact...
                          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Just ordered 4 new tires, still need to get the brakes to bleed out and work and line up the toe then put the new tires on and it will be driving again. I might do tags and insurance too... we'll see

Comment

New tires are on. Need to line up the front end and there is still a lot of air in the brakes. Its also making a weird sound but im hoping its just brakes wearing in on used rotors

Comment

Working...
                              X