Hot_Wheels fabrication corner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot_Wheels fabrication corner.

So i have been wanting to learn to weld for quite a while. If your wanting to do engine swaps in a Festiva its pretty much a skill you will need. I never really have welded. I found a great deal on my local Craigslist for a Lincoln Power Mig 210 Multi-process. Its got pretty high reviews for doing mig and tig. Its dual voltage so im not tied to my garage and it has a lcd display which walks you threw each set up for the different types of welding as well as the different settings for each metal type. I just got my Argon/ c02 mix. I still need to get a set of gloves and maybe a welding apron. Any recommendations on gloves? Are there any must haves for helping me learn to weld? Any suggestions i would greatly appreciate!

Lots of practice pieces. Tig is tough, I've found myself always setting the current too low for aluminum. Lead the weld with the puddle

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Really? I found TIG welding to be pretty easy to learn..... Although I struggled learning to weld aluminum, until someone told me to switch it to AC *facepalm*

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

A GOOD auto darkening hood is really nice to have. Don't skimp with the HF hoods, buy a quality one. your eyes need the best protection you can get for them. Watching a bead bare eyed will feel like your eyes got sandblasteted for days and thats really not any fun, supposedly the cheap hoods don't darken quick enough. I dont know how true that is but I dont want burned again, wouldnt wish that on anybody. Any welding gloves will do... Most of the time I just use a pair of random cowhides just gotta watch for holes in them and dont touch hot metal! Lol

Plenty of grinding and cutting wheels to fix mistakes lol using argon you wont need a chipping hammer but a wire wheel for the grinder helps make stuff look better sometimes. You can't really go wrong if your cooking with gas even the worst welds will look pretty wether they're cold welds or good burns.
        Last edited by zoom zoom; 06-24-2015, 03:20 AM.
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I picked up some more supplies at Eastwood. I could have spent more but I ran out of money! I also got a set of long Miller gloves coming and a Lincoln cover for the welder.

Comment

i recently bought the same welder (bought brand new tho)and i love it but i dont have the tig package you get the tig kit for it from ebay

ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USAWELD-Comp.../201367929323?

88 L carb'ed (when up in flames of glory)(deceased) 4spd
            89 L carb'ed (died on the operating table (rust))(deceased) 5spd
            93 gl FI (sold) automagical
            89 lx FI megasquirted "luna" b6D+t (186hp 209ftlbs)
            88 L carbFI megasquirted zombie car

Comment

Mine was new as well some back door discount on Craigslist. I'll probably get a plasma cutter from the guy too. I saw that tug set up and I want! I want to get a spool of stainless and another tank of trimix so I can weld up a stainless exhaust.

Comment

The one thing I didn't like about the tig pedal is the plug just hooks up inside and the door stays ajar when you hook it up. Maybe there's a way to mount the plug on other side?

Comment

ya the whole tig petal thing is crap in fact if your foot plugin isn't already installed you have to take the welder apart to install it and if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for yours

Comment

$700 brand spanking new. I opened it in front of the guy to male sure it wasn't a box of rocks. It was factory sealed. I just can't get the extended warranty due I don't have a receipt. Unless I can barrow yours lol.

Last edited by Hot_Wheels; 06-28-2015, 01:49 AM.

Comment

good deal i bought mine at msrp stbu $999 it comes with i think a stock 3 year warranty with a 5 year option 3 years seem long enough for me if it last that long there's a good chance it'll last allot longer, idk if i want to buy the tig kit or a plasma cutter next and for the receipt think just let me make a copy lol
                      Last edited by monkeykiller1996; 06-28-2015, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Well my friend Jeff came over today and gave me a crash course. I'm happy with the results and think in can get better with time. Now I need to find some projects to weld!

Comment

Well I put a smaller .025 welding wire in the welder tonight due to I was tripping the breaker with the .035. Well I didn't trip the breaker but the welds don't seem as nice. They seem to be high? Need more volts?

Comment

I'm thinking that your smaller Gauge wire may need less voltage/current.
                            Jerry
                            Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                            90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                            92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                            93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Make sure the smaller gauge is not slipping going through the drive spool. It looks like you were thinking less volts and went too far. It looks like your travel speed kept slowing up trying to keep the arc from blowing out with the little bit low volts.

You are doing awesome for a new machine, keep playing with it!!
                              Last edited by Movin; 09-08-2015, 08:36 AM.
                              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                              X