Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'88 L Street/Track Build- Coilovers • B6ZE • Weber DCOE's • Widebody • Chopped Top •

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Festiver View Post
    How much would you want for those wheels??

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Both pair are out of round, you really don't want them lol.

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
    sweet build, me likey
    Thanks!
    '88 L- B6d-Sidedraft Dellorto Carbs-G-Series-Advanced Suspension
    '89 L B3-5 speed-A/C-Advanced Suspension

Project Goldilocks '66 C10 Short Fleet BBW Build
    '65 C10 Highly Detailed Stock Restoration Thread
    '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work
    '66 F100 Full Rotisserie Restoration
    '40 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration
    How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster
    How To Detail Sand Body Panels, Edges, Corners

Comment

• Glad to hear you're still at it. I was worried you'd lost interest

Comment

• Originally posted by dliverance View Post
        Glad to hear you're still at it. I was worried you'd lost interest
        Definitely haven't lost interest! I'm just trying to thin the herd; I'd got up to owning 13 cars last year and didn't have time to spend on the ones that I really wanted to build (like the Festiva). Plus I'm saving up for a house/shop so I decided to do quick builds on a few of them to get them out of the way and put some cash in the bank. The current plan is to get the VW built and sold, then get my gold '66 C10 project rolling and sell it. Then I'll have time to get to the Festiva. Hopefully I'll have it swapped by Madness this year.

I'm taking two '63 verts and making one solid car out of the best of them. Hoping to have it together in a couple of months.

Last edited by theastronaut; 01-30-2017, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by theastronaut View Post
          The next step was to strip the spray-bombed bumpers and properly refinish them. I used lacquer thinner and a red scuff pad to get the old paint off, then masked it out and shot them with paint made specifically for trim and bumpers. The side trim got the same treatment. I had some SEM paint leftover from another project so I used that to paint the red stripe.

Whoa! Yowza! What kind of paint are you talking about??? Need a specific brand name if able. My unpainted/factory bumper covers need to be redone and I've never wanted to paint them (don't like the later-years Festy painted style bumper covers) but your painted "after" looks like they are factory/UNpainted. Gorgeous! What paint did you use?

Inquiring minds want to know! :love4:
          88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
          88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
          91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
          93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

• Originally posted by Twistiva View Post
            Whoa! Yowza! What kind of paint are you talking about??? Need a specific brand name if able. My unpainted/factory bumper covers need to be redone and I've never wanted to paint them (don't like the later-years Festy painted style bumper covers) but your painted "after" looks like they are factory/UNpainted. Gorgeous! What paint did you use?

Inquiring minds want to know! :love4:
            I forget exactly what I used, it was a cheap rattle can from the parts store. These are starting to barely fade. I would recommend using SEM brand instead, it'll hold up better and they have plenty of colors to choose from. I've had SEM on the running boards of my '64 VW since 2002ish and they still look good. Just be sure to prep them well; use something to get rid of any grease and road grime with a scuff pad so all the contaminates and "dead" plastic comes off.

Comment

I forget exactly what I used, it was a cheap rattle can from the parts store. These are starting to barely fade. I would recommend using SEM brand instead, it'll hold up better and they have plenty of colors to choose from. I've had SEM on the running boards of my '64 VW since 2002ish and they still look good. Just be sure to prep them well; use something to get rid of any grease and road grime with a scuff pad so all the contaminates and "dead" plastic comes off.
              SEM: got it. Went to their website. Looks like they have an excellent line of products. :thumbright:

Scuff pad: are you using enough abrasive pressure that when you clean off contaminants that you are also removing the subtle texture the UNpainted factory bumper covers had? (I like that subtle texture as compared to the super smooth finish of later-year painted covers.) Can't tell in your pix.

Last question: Is the SEM stuff strong enough/have good enough adhesion that you can use the HIGH-pressure settings at a car wash or after using the SEM product are you relegated to washing your Festy by hand?
              Last edited by Twistiva; 01-30-2017, 09:23 PM.

Comment

• I have my hood, trunk and roof painted with SEM trim paint. I have used it a lot. The texture will still be there amd it holds up great. If you want to make it as durable as possible, I recommend using the SEM then following it up with 2 coats of 2k clear semi gloss. You can wipe them with acetone afterwards and it won't hurt anything.

Comment

• I use some of this Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter before painting Plastic Parts.
                  "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                  sigpic
                  "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                  "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                  "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                  "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

• Originally posted by Twistiva View Post
                    SEM: got it. Went to their website. Looks like they have an excellent line of products. :thumbright:

Scuff pad: are you using enough abrasive pressure that when you clean off contaminants that you are also removing the subtle texture the UNpainted factory bumper covers had? (I like that subtle texture as compared to the super smooth finish of later-year painted covers.) Can't tell in your pix.

Last question: Is the SEM stuff strong enough/have good enough adhesion that you can use the HIGH-pressure settings at a car wash or after using the SEM product are you relegated to washing your Festy by hand?
                    I used a red pad, abrasive enough to loosen up the dead plastic and contaminates but not aggresive enough to remove the texture.

It adheres well enough that I've had kids stand on the running boards at car shows without it scraping or peeling off. It sticks really well with proper prep. I did have some places where the parts store rattle can flaked off the side trim at a car wash. The side trim seems to be a different type of plastic/rubber and I was in a hurry so I may not have spent enough time prepping it. When I first got the car I wasn't planning on keeping it long so I didn't really care back then.

Originally posted by dliverance View Post
                    I have my hood, trunk and roof painted with SEM trim paint. I have used it a lot. The texture will still be there amd it holds up great. If you want to make it as durable as possible, I recommend using the SEM then following it up with 2 coats of 2k clear semi gloss. You can wipe them with acetone afterwards and it won't hurt anything.
                    It's good stuff, we use an assortment of their products at work on the restorations we do.

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
                    I use some of this Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter before painting Plastic Parts.
                    No need for an adhesion promoter if you use SEM.

Comment

Cool, I have never used their products but they look a lot more professional than my usual Dupli-Color. One day I may setup a Paint booth and do things the right way so I can actually get a decent finish on things bigger than a Valve cover. As of right now I'm painting in my Car Port that also has Hay stored in it and Horses in the Pasture always kicking up dust and stuff. I Painted my little brothers Hood for his Festy and to me it looks like crap but it is better than Flaking Clear Coat.
                      "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                      sigpic
                      "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                      "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                      "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                      "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

I used a red pad, abrasive enough to loosen up the dead plastic and contaminates but not aggresive enough to remove the texture.

It adheres well enough that I've had kids stand on the running boards at car shows without it scraping or peeling off. It sticks really well with proper prep. I did have some places where the parts store rattle can flaked off the side trim at a car wash. The side trim seems to be a different type of plastic/rubber and I was in a hurry so I may not have spent enough time prepping it. When I first got the car I wasn't planning on keeping it long so I didn't really care back then.

It's good stuff, we use an assortment of their products at work on the restorations we do.

theastronaut / all -

Thanks for the info. I've looked up the SEM site. They have a good 'how to' video on prepping and painting bumper covers. All very helpful. Can't wait to get to this part of my restoration!

Comment

• So one night a while back I was, ummm... inspired by Ken Block and decided to turn my curved gravel driveway into a mini-rallycross track. This turned into a 25-30 mph hairpin turn into the driveway, hitting the ramped transition with the rear slightly hung out, a section of missing skid marks indicating that I had caught air (blowing out the inserts in the front coilovers upon landing), landing slightly sideways still, and continuing the slide with a throttle-lift drift into my usual parking spot. I used to think fwd cars couldn't be fun... :lol:

The inserts were pretty tired anyways (were used when I bought them) and it didn't seem to have quite as much front grip as when I first built it. I finally got around to changing out the last one this week and redid the alignment. Front grip is better than ever now. I went with KYB GR2 inserts from a MK1 Jetta.

The roof rack has been one of the best purchases for the car I've made. I hauled the frame for the VW to the local powdercoat shop on it, and I bought an older racing go kart a couple weeks ago and used it to bring it home.

The VW is about two weeks from being finished so I can hopefully get started back on the b6 swap soon.

Comment

• Totally Sweet!
                            No car too fast !

Comment

• That's sexy!!
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

• Going to the powdercoat shop is fun in your shop car. That vert really came out nice! I'd like to see pictures of it parked next to the oval. Airhead overload.
                                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X