Greywolf II - "Dusty"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greywolf II - "Dusty"

I suppose each project needs it's own thread if only to avoid confusion.

This is a 1990 with port injection (four injectors). I nabbed it for a mere $450, and it is ugly as sin - for now.

But since I burned through so much cash over the last two months, now I'm back in 'cruise mode' and I have quite a bit of body and paint materials available for this thing. At the very least what I'm going to do is take down the nasty paint and shoot a uniform coat of primer on it to find all the spots that need work.

As far as the mechanical side of the house, it all works. In fact I like it! The tires have to go, and I have to start saving for a set of rims and new rubber. It won't be 12" rims for long. Nor will the new ones be steel.

Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Ouch, that paint is rough. Looking good though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I had to remove some stains from my white one with some 3M rubbing compound. There are some spots on mine that the paint started to thin as well. Keep the videos coming!
      "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
      sigpic
      "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
      "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
      "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
      "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Todays effort was dealing with those SILLY (A)'d stripe vinyls (How juvenile can some people be? Wait 'til you see what I found under the stupid things...).

There are about three ways to get crap like that off of a car. I thought at first about using gasket and decal remover.
        Second idea (and it's the #2 favorite choice of professionals) was to use a Heat Gun - which I did, as you'll see.
        But this coming month I'm going to send for a rubber wheel that mounts in a die-grinder or electric drill that beats both of those!

A Decal Remover Wheel can actually strip off both the decals and their adhesive cleanly, it can do it without harming the underlying paint, believe it or not. There are some videos out there I was looking at last night, and you almost HAVE to see it to accept the idea.

But anyway - here is this morning:

Right now since it looks like it may start raining at any time, I'm off on the web to research a fast way to remove mass quantities of old bondo (if there IS a fast way) because I was taught to work metal - not mask shoddy work with a ton of plastic.
        Last edited by Greywolf; 05-18-2016, 10:31 AM.

Comment

The rubber wheels work very well, i wouldnt even try anything else, lol. Any autobody supply shop in your area should have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah Eraser wheel All the way I use one daily.
            As for the paint and filler . Paint grinder 36 or 60 grit
            I would pressure wash that paint before sanding the crud down into the paint.
            It will save you lots of sand paper and money and I always dry sand with da unless I'm color sanding with 3000 or 5000.
            If you do wet sand with your da make sure your paper is wet or dry or your waiting time and money.

Comment

Yeah - I've been seeing a lot about that online. Right now I'm digging out the mountain of Bondo on the dang side, and ripping the clear coat with P80 discs on the D/A.

I'm going to add a wire brush that fits an angle grinder to my Amazon list too - I watched a buddy of mine strip a whole 1965 Chevy Stepside cab, bed, and frame with one in a single weekend. It's another gotta-have, for sure.

Check out this latest - and try not to throw up when you see the depth and the mis-guided metal mangling that is revealed as the pink plastic is pealed back layer by layer....

Honestly? If it had decent paint to begin with, I'd have waited before tackling that. But right now I need things to do, I want to get as far as I can on this by the end of the month (when I'll have cash again) and there's a pile of leftover body stuff laying around my shop from when I worked on RV's a few years ago. Reducer, primer, boxes of D/A discs, fiberglass resin, even a jumbo can of bondo that will probably turn to rock before I ever inflict it on anything.

~The only thing remotely interesting I can think of using Bondo for is to create raised letters on body panels that are painted to match the rest of the car later, so that it looks like they are stamped into the metal at the factory.
              Last edited by Greywolf; 05-18-2016, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Them there holes are from bondo mites!
                It's a shame too because there plenty of space under the interior plastics to push most of that out.

Comment

I was hoping so - even if I have to use a pry-bar tip as a dolly in the corners.

The doors I'll get to after I work this mess out, they're a lower priority even if they are getting hard to find.
                  (I know where I can lay my hands on 2 donor cars)

I can always fill the holes with my wire feed, and then take off the extra metal with a milling file.

Comment

Things went well so far today - most of the bondo is off the area I'm working on thanks to a cold chisel, and I finally figured out where I laid down my dinging mallet the last time I was using it. I also have a far more serious tool for grinding off bondo- think of it as a drill mounted wire wheel on steroids!

Comment

HAH!!!

I have discovered the ULTIMATE WEAPON for removing old bondo...
                      *Even if it's nearly a half inch thick

And it leaves the bare metal looking like you polished it :iconbiggrin:

Comment

Second stage - working the metal (AT LAST!)

Comment

I did a little bit more after the above - I wanted to check my paint guns, since they were laid up for a while. I also wanted to get a flat primer coat on the metal so that it would be easier to see what was going on. In this video I give you a brief introduction to painting with a compressed air gun. It really IS a lot better than using rattle cans, and I think that once you have painted this way - you'll never want to paint with a spray can again except for quick stuff on the fly.

Last edited by Greywolf; 05-31-2016, 09:13 PM.

Comment

IT IS REGISTERED!!!!

~ I got it titled, and it has a "Retired USN" custom tag on it even as I type this, and I put 50 miles on it just tooling around and picking up a set of rear wheel bearings for it at A-Zone.

It lives - and if there is a highway I have not seen, it would be a shame not to explore it...

:blob8:

Matter of fact - there is a river road I want to drive down tomorrow to make a video. I think it would be the perfect "MAIDEN VOYAGE" video of all time. It's a dirt road along the cotton fields beside the Mississippi river
                            Last edited by Greywolf; 06-01-2016, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Congratulations! Just in time for some nice summer drives too.
                              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
                              X