Repair and rebuild of the daily driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair and rebuild of the daily driver

I went up a couple of weeks ago and picked up the new parts car I bought for the passenger hub first off....

was surprised to find both of the doors usable..

just days after the parts car arrived the bearings shit in the tranny of the dd....so I began the disassembly of the donor car to pull the motor and tranny

I was pretty happy to have all the A/C parts there...although only a couple of the fittings came apart so...for now the a/c is out...perhaps another time...

I had considered putting the hatch doot on the dd since it had the rear wiper...but I think I will transplant the wiper in the other door since it has so much rust...damn Kansas

love to see something with so many miles still running..there is all kinds of extra stuff the guy threw in...

a complete rack...

some interior stuff...

pretty good investment for a couple hundred bucks...thanks Gary!
    ...next week....get the dd ready for the exchange..
    Last edited by brushhippie; 06-20-2016, 11:45 AM.

Got the motor pulled from the donor yesterday and dragged the dd up to the shop with the engine from the donor in the bucket of the tractor...got most everything unhooked yesterday eve so it only took a couple of hours to get the dd motor pulled...and right at 4 hours to hook everything back up fill with fluids and down the road we went...donor motor runs perfectly it seems...now to begin rebuilding the original motor and tranny.

went ahead and pulled the a/c crap...just extra weight.

Comment

Talkin to myself...well see ya.

Comment

In Memphis A/C isn't extra weight - it's vital!

Somehow, some way - I swear I'm going to put an A/C system in my B6T car. It was ripped out by the previous owner.
        Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

I hung onto it..the compressor needs a bearing but should function...I will have to replace the lines but that will be the easy part of installing the rest of the a/c system. I will have practice though after having pulled the dash out of the donor.

Comment

I got a compressor here. Think its all good if your interested.

Comment

What you wanting out of it? I would sure consider it! Thanks!
              Well got to drive the dd around a bit today...now that I have gotten the front bearings quiet it made those back ones sound really bad..so I went through those today as well...had two outer bearings bad...replaced those and repacked everything...now nice and quiet! I intend to replace everything under the front and rear end when the motor and tranny go back in so the used parts from the donor will get me by for now...the $200 dollar car has paid for itself twice or three times over now..thanks Gary!

Comment

Nice work! You can also send that extra rack into the festiva store for a rebuild and have a nice tight rack to put into it when you put the rebuilt engine in. It's a lot easier to change the rack with the engine out and they do get sloppy with time.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                  Nice work! You can also send that extra rack into the festiva store for a rebuild and have a nice tight rack to put into it when you put the rebuilt engine in. It's a lot easier to change the rack with the engine out and they do get sloppy with time.
                  That is an awesome idea...I will look into that! Thanks!

Comment

That extra rack is an 88 89 rack.
                    I'll bet it's still tight I replace my 90-93 racks with 88 89 racks . The later racks wair out much more often then. The earlier ones. I currently have a 340k mile early rack in my car that replaced a 117k mile 1990 rack. The 340 feels new I found a 80k mile early rack in the junk yard just in case the highe milage one fails but it's till tight.
                    If you order inner tie rods for that steal rack (88-89) make sure you get the correct ones the 90-93 ones won't work even thow parts stores say they will .. I get mine from rock auto.

Comment

Thanks Will...I will check it out...(at the risk of sounding stupid)...is there a manual test to tell the condition of it? The guy said he had had several of them over the years...he gave me another block and complete tranny as well...told me...hell take it all...I got everything but the spare hood...I was so thrilled to have gotten it loaded I completely forgot the spare hood. Making a trip back up there for it...worth the three hour trip I think. Pretty sure a hood will fit in the back. Thinking I need a roof rack...anybody done one of those? May go kinda baja with this one...already looking for another...lol
                      Last edited by brushhippie; 06-30-2016, 10:18 PM.

Comment

As for steering rack turn wheel all one way grab rack and push and pull up and down if it wiggles it's good excess play .
                        When it gets really bad it will clunk over bumps.
                        The rack is a sportrack cross bars with a universal basket from walmart. The sport rack can be had for about 100 got mine on line can't remember where amazon or walmart.com
                        Last edited by william; 07-01-2016, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Like the Reese...looks perfect for my needs..really only plan to put beach rigs on there for fishin trips. The rack that is on the dd is rattling like mad...wish I had swapped it out while the durn motor was out....crappo...this one will likely be in there for at least a few months. Thanks for the help Sir! ...Yall!

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                            That extra rack is an 88 89 rack.
                            I'll bet it's still tight I replace my 90-93 racks with 88 89 racks . The later racks wair out much more often then. The earlier ones. I currently have a 340k mile early rack in my car that replaced a 117k mile 1990 rack. The 340 feels new I found a 80k mile early rack in the junk yard just in case the highe milage one fails but it's till tight.
                            If you order inner tie rods for that steal rack (88-89) make sure you get the correct ones the 90-93 ones won't work even thow parts stores say they will .. I get mine from rock auto.
                            Good eye William!
                            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Well you are right...the rack is indeed still tight...making me once again wish I had changed it out...damnit!..Oh well it can wait for a bit I reckon..or I may just go ahead and swap it out with the engine and tranny in there...NOTHING is impossible.

Comment

Working...
                              X