Just another build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just another build thread

Hello everyone. I picked up this little 89 festiva last week. its a carb'd 4 speed that's a bit rough around the edges but I have some big plans for it. Right now it's my daily but in the near future it'll be getting some nice work done to it. on the list is a Capri dohc swap, some suspension and some exterior goodies. On to the pictures.

So far all I've done put on my old wheels, order flares and remove stickers/plastidip. Next Friday I'll be grabbing a Capri for the swap. I've also been digging thru the forum for suspension info but that'll come after the swap.

Well...I hate to say it...but I think it looks kinda cool!...damn beach rats! (I am a surf hippy as well...from the third coast)
    Last edited by brushhippie; 06-30-2016, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brushhippie View Post
      Well...I hate to say it...but I think it looks kinda cool!...damn beach rats! (I am a surf hippy as well...from the third coast)
      I like how she looks but that's no way to intimidate the competition. I think a more aggressive look will do for autox lol

Comment

Looks like a fun project. Maybe do a b6d on carbs?
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

That would be pretty awesome but I'm thinking with the manifold, a pair of dcoe's and filters, it might get really tight near the firewall.

Comment

Do Kehin carbs from a 1100 Katana. I guy put a set on his miata. Google search it, it's pretty cool.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Update.

I was supposed to buy an NA capri but the more I looked into it, the less I needed from it. My plans for the car have changed slightly now. As of about an hour ago I have a mazdaspeed miata 1.6 dcoe manifold on the way along with two weber dcoe 40's. the dcoe's have 28mm venturi's but I'll be swapping those out for 36mm's soon as well as re-jetting them for the 1600. I found a few places that sell motors for a reasonable price so next pay check I'll be grabbing one of those. In my head right now I'm seeing the b6d, dual webers, low pressure fuel pump mounted inline near the tank since the 1.3 has the fuel pump on the motor, header, keep my wiring, and I'm not sure which tranny yet. That will come later.

The options I'm toying with in my head that aren't solid yet are miata 1.6 obx "stage 2" cams (I have to see if the miata cams are interchangeable with capri cams) and high compression pistons. I'd rather not tear into the bottom end but if I'm going to try for more ponies I might as well go all the way. I'm not sure what the carbs and and a header will do for the bd6 but my goal right now is a conservative 100whp.

Comment

Oh man, with those carbs, good cams and headers, your looking at around 130hp with stock compression. You'll want to invest in an ATI damper because it's going to want to run up to atleast 8K rpm and that will wreak havoc on things with the stock damper.
                Dragonhealer just finished testing on his new cams and that would be a real good match for those carbs. I'm not going to lie, I'm jealous that you found that adapter. I wanted to do this when I was planning on building my 88 (Pedro) but I couldn't find an adapter. This is going to be sweet!

Comment

I didn't think about getting it to rev that high. For now getting it in and running is first priority, then suspension, then race car mods like seat+steering and after all of that comes refining the engine.

Comment

Stock b3 will Rev to 7500+ with stock cam and carb... ask me or Brian how we know lol
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Whats up^ Welcome

This weekend was a pretty eventful one. I got my carbs, I snagged some wheels from the junk yard, I modified my old mirage skirts to fit the festy, I got 95% of the plastidip off and I fitted some fender flares in the front. Yes...The front only. I don't want to flare the rear until I know what I'm going to do for autox tires. I see they make a 205 r888 which would fit lovely on the rotas but I very much like not having to flare the car so I'm going to see what the stickiest tire is that I can fit on the z wheels.

As for the engine build, I'm broke right now but next paycheck I'll be ordering some parts. Either the motor or the carb parts+linkage+rebuild kits+fuel pump+b16 header and miata 1.6 exhaust flange. I'll know more come next payday.

Here's some pictures.

I also found this guy at the local pick n pull. They want $300 for the tranny pulled. Might be an option if I cant get the carbs to clear with the engine+e series placement.

Comment

Federal ss-595 comes in a 185/55 14 and is a 260 treadwear. That isn't as sticky as an R888, but for less than 300 bucks a set they are a great bargain for a sticky sport tire.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                          Federal ss-595 comes in a 185/55 14 and is a 260 treadwear. That isn't as sticky as an R888, but for less than 300 bucks a set they are a great bargain for a sticky sport tire.
                          In my dream world I will have two sets of tires. An all season that I run on the z wheels for daily driving and the r888 for autox. I would be fine with an r comp for autox too. I only have two concerns with that. If I build the car around a tire and they discontinue it, I'll be pissed. Thats the first concern and the second is that I would like to be either flared or unflared and be able to run both sets of wheels without looking ridiculous. Maybe I can go flares and run the z wheels with spacers and remove the spacers on track day.

Comment

I think my rotas might be sold today. If they sell and I can get the z wheels sold too, I'll be shopping for some 13x6's or higher offset 14x6's.

Comment

Working...
                            X