Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazda 121 SunTop - UK

Hi All

I bought this car as a little run around because my car had been stolen. But it turned out to be so much fun to drive I decided to keep it.

The first thing I did was replace the leaking water pump. Since then it has had a new replacement radiator and a stainless exhaust system from the down pipe back. Also threw on some period japanese wheels I had in the garage and new tyres all round.

Also fitted a sporty "Mountney" steering wheel.

I have the dash unit from a Kia Pride to fit as they have speedo and tachometer.
    This car was not sold as the Ford Festiva in the UK, there were a few Mazda 121s, but much more Kia Pride units were sold.

I am pleasantly surprised that this little car is so popular stateside, I supposed they must have sold quite a few.

Looking forward to reading up on what members are doing to keep their cars on the road.

Cheers
    James

That car looks very nice, what year is it?

Is that a 110 mph speedo with no tach? I didn't know such a thing existed. If you're going to get rid of it I'd be interested in it.

Comment

Love it.... welcome to the forum James! Where in London are you? I have a cousin and her family that live just on the northern edge of Richmond Park.
      Last edited by fastivaca; 07-29-2016, 10:55 AM.
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Welcome to the community! That's a really Sharp 121. I like the wheels!
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

What a great looking car, congrats and welcome to the site.
          An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

So nice and quite rare. Thank you for sharing.
            '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
            '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
            '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
            '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
            '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
            '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
            '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

This is a 1988 car.

I do not have power steering so the smaller wheel and decent tyres can be a work out at slow speed.
              I am going to install a FB RX7 wheel instead, and swap the Mountney steering wheel into my '87 323 Estate - photo attached

Comment

So I picked up a Kia Pride speedo/tach unit to swap in my 121 - the main reason being that I wanted a tachometer but wanted to retain a clean factory look.

I was hoping that this would be a simple "plug and play" affair, with them being fairly similar cars. So I compared the back of the circuit boards and discovered this was not going to be the case.

MAZDA

KIA

So after inspection I noticed that all the same features were there but just in different places, so with a bit of rewiring they should all hook up and function.
                With a bit of patience and time I wrote down all the pin location and there corresponding functions, and then where to swap them.

I then went to the car with my lists and linked up my "spaghetti junction".

The only link i had not been able to work out was the tachometer, but when I finished I had one spare wire and one spare space. Boom - it only worked!

So overall I am very happy with the outcome. Not as easy as I thought, but happy it all turned out right after a bit of effort.

Comment

That original speedo with 110 mph might be of some value if you list it for sale here. Not for me, as 85 covers my needs, but there are members who aren't/don't drive like old codgers...just a thought.
                  "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
                  "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
                  "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
                  "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
                  "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
                  "Wenona"-89L parts car
                  "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

So I found a one sheet brochure of the model I have - so I thought I would share.

Comment

Suntop, that's dangerous. If you had a terminal removal tool, you could have easily avoided all of that spaghetti. Actually, my favourite tool is the green Hero terminal extractor. I bought it from easternbeaver.com
                      The terminals just click back into the correct connector slots. No chance of having a short.
                      Last edited by bravekozak; 02-11-2017, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Can you show us how that sliding rear seat works? I've always been curious.
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost
                        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I had noticed some rust coming through on both front shock absorber strut tubes which meant replacement unit needed to be sourced. So i decided to replace front and rear, and while i was there i decided to replace the springs hopefully with some drop in height.

Good old ebay europe found me some shock absorbers for all four corners and I also got some off the shelf springs from a company called DIRENZA giving me a 30mm drop.

The ride handling has improved vastly over that 30 year old equipment. I do have some rubbing when taking bumps at speed, but some gentle massage to fold back the arch lip should help that.

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                            Can you show us how that sliding rear seat works? I've always been curious.
                            Here's the mounts

Front of seat is hinged to mount. Rear of mount clips onto a bracket which is bolted to floor.
                            Pull the grey handles at rear of mount to release from bracket. Pull black lever to slide seat forward, then fold seat forward.

Comment

Working...
                            X