323LX - Aaron's Third Crack at the Whip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 323LX - Aaron's Third Crack at the Whip

Hello friends both old and new. I've been a member on here for nearly a decade, and I'm proud to unofficially announce I'm coming back for a third crack of the Mazda/Ford whip.

I lovingly miss my original B6T build, now in the caring arms of our own mikeycar500 in Ontario. I'm told he's now drag racing it and having an absolute riot with a new B6T long-block buttoned up under the hood with that bastard VF/VJ turbo. That first car taught me a lot about performance and tuning, with a shout out to sasquatch/Mike in Langley who did the engine swap for me while I was in university and overseas studying. I've been inspired to carry this savvy with all things B-series forward to the latest build.

My second car, less memorable by every account, was a B3 grocery getter, which the subsequent owner has since completely trashed without apology. Head gasket is blown, tires are flat, belts are shredded, interior is completely riddled with headliner/cushion cigarette burns in all four seats, and a even smashed window to put icing on the cake. Though I was planning on buying it back from her for $50 (yeah, it's that bad), I managed to find something better. As those who know me well will tell you, my build logs and posts as a whole are notoriously long-winded and read more like journals than photo albums. I poured a lot of meticulously loving care into that car, including a heck of a lot of noise dampening and bottle after bottle of Simple Green. I learned from this second build that divinity is in the details when it comes to maintaining classic cars, and that's going to definitely carry forward.

Without further ado, allow me to introduce my third project... an all-original (including jack, floor mats, and radio) 1986 Mazda 323LX 1.6 automatic. I'm not exactly sure what the colour is called officially, but bronzey-grey-brown seems apt for now. It has 132,000/80,000 on the clock, and was garaged for pretty much it's entire lifetime. For those counting, that averages out to under 5000K/3000m a year. Makes me wonder about oil changes and the like. Though I was still on the lookout for Festivas, it seemed like the step up to a larger hatch, a sunroof, and a bigger engine out of the gate made sense at the price-point.

Though I'd certainly would have preferred a five speed personally, I'm in no rush to do anything about it. Provided the compression numbers are still acceptable, I suspect the B6 block will stay in preparation for forced induction of some sort... likely paired with ultra-short piping and water/meth injection. If not, expect a dual overhead cam swap at some point in the near future. For suspension, I'll be replacing as many soft components as I can, not the least of which are the original strut hats... which, combined with likely under-inflated tires, are providing a dangerously heavy steering effort. Unlike my prior build, this one won't be nearly as much of a kidney buster, even if it means surrendering my ability to take on-ramps to spool the turbo in 3rd gear past 50MPH like the original Festiva. The brakes appear to be in good condition, but it has a very mushy pedal and needs a good bleed.

In the loving care of a retired couple's heated garage, I suspect this thing seldom made a trip beyond church and the grocer. From there, it was inherited by a grandson and his friend who both used it as a guinea pig on becoming more capable/confident mechanics... you'll notice this fact in particular when you have a look at the components under the hood. I'm told they took every opportunity to disassemble and refurbish/replace things as they were able to before upgrading to a Mercedes when they were promoted and settled down in their careers. Reports from the seller explain an untraceable oil leak from either the transmission or the engine along with one moderately-awkward-to-reach door ding on the driver's side. Upon first glance, the leak seems likely to be just the valve cover gasket and possibly one/both pan gaskets. Nothing a torque wrench and some RTV can't fix.

It looks like either there's a lot of filmy dust on the car or someone attempted to wet-sand it and forgot to finish the job. Not quite sure as of yet, but once I take possession and get her detailed, we'll find out for certain. Aside from those minor issues, it has a 695CCA monster battery in it, brand new snow tires on the original 13" wheels, and a moderately-clean interior that has never had a furry friend or carcinogen-laden butt in it. Mostly, this project is going to be a commuter/touring car. My fiancee and I are hoping to do a handful of road-trips over the next year or so, and I'm also going to be getting into longer races and triathlons around British Columbia. A wholesale closeout RockAuto order will be happening in due time, suffice it to say. Both of those objectives would certainly benefit from having a reliable sub-compact again given Smart car turbo-diesels remain disastrously overpriced in our area.

1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Sweet 323! I just got a 88' hatchback myself!
    -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
    -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
    -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Great to have you back around Aaron! Looking forward to reading all about your 323.
      Many of the suspension mods from the Festiva will carry over to that BF323. The front VW Coilovers cross right over and I believe they also work on the rear as well. You may as well have a good handling classic Mazda.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Hey you're right across the straight from me. I was wondering if there was anyone on here from Victoria.

Comment

Awesome man!!!! welcome back looking forward to updates!

Comment

And the upgraded interior..hard to find on these BF's ....other than the Tracer's.

Comment

... and you would be most welcome at Westiva! July 15th! You know where!

Ian
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Been a little bit distant to this post, but rest assured there's plenty in store for this beauty of a car. I've been driving up a storm relative to the specifics of where I live (compact island peninsula surrounded by 330 degrees of Pacific Ocean). I had a close friend/mechanic help me complete a comprehensive rear brake job along with the bearings/seals/cables to boot. Everything's spic and span back there, though we've been somewhat intimidated to attempt the front captive hubs without better access to a hydraulic press. Certainly open to suggestions if anyone has them.

I've added a fair bit of removable clear silicone caulking... it's a brand called Draft Attack I picked up at the local hardware store. After I finished doing the door seals and trunk/hatch line, I noticed some pretty immediate improvements with moisture control. I've also read that WD40 and equivalents can help act as a good treatment to the factory rubber-based seals, so I did some wipes along those for good measure. Up front, I added some trunk canopy material to the front/back of the hood, which cut down on engine noise and smell somewhat.

I suspect there may still be some residual leaking from either the oil, transmission, or both. The latter concerns me, because the transmission (3 speed automatic for now) is very, very touchy when cold. For the first mile or so of driving, basically any more throttle than octogenarian level engagement slips the second gear right back into first, revving the heck out of the engine in the process. Could just be the helping of Trans Tune I popped in there - probably due for a flush, filter, and pan wipe. Also struggling with a terrible case of the Mazda/Ford needle shake in the cluster. 110KPH is just awful - wiggles probably 5kph or so in either direction at speed with vibration.

In more promising news, there's a totalled/crashed 323GT in Western Washington I've got my eye on right now from ClubProtege. It was a serious Corksport project as I understand it in a former lifetime, and was capable of 170WHP at a mere 11lbs of boost. These days, I think it's running the VJ11/14 hybrid at the more customary 15-16 pounds. That should, in conjunction with a rebuild/repair on the transmission along with new rad/intercoolers, provide some help with the power issue these SOHC motors have for enthusiast drivers.

Fortunately, a cone filter and an Ebay adapter have provided some auditory relief in the meantime. I actually noticed quite a bit of throttle response as a result of the swap, likely due to an air filter more clogged than the FRAM off-white can really show and more restricted than the intake trumpet resonators lets on. Certainly hoping I'll be able to barter with a local exhaust shop for a turbo-back system in exchange for a nice website. In conjunction with the possibility of a spare tire well delete, I'm going to add some pretty serious muffler power to this build because my former B6T was definitely a loud and testosterone-oozing symphony you could hear from half a mile away with relative ease on the throttle.

More to come, rest assured!

Comment

Man this paint job cleans up nicely.

Comment

That's a sweet ride.
                    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
                    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
                    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
                    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
                    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
                    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                    '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

damn!!! that's clean for an old mazda.... needs some more low to look like old sagged springs, black steel wheels with a small amount of rust to give the look, and a fe3 swap, GIANT turbo cramming madddd amounts of boost, all that backed up by a gt4 Celica trans.... choppppp Hondas all day long

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                      1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Could be a bad vacuum modulator on the trans. Make sure the vac line is hooked up too.
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost
                        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

God I love those dial tone wheels!!! So jelly.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                            Could be a bad vacuum modulator on the trans. Make sure the vac line is hooked up too.
                            Sorry to have missed this! Diving back into the car this weekend... where might I find the vacuum modulator? I have next to zero experience with automatic transmissions specifically other than draining/filling the fluid.

Comment

Down low towards the front. Behind the WOT switch. Should be able to follow a vacuum line to it.

It's kinda underneath in the middle where the engine and trans come together.
                              91GL BP/F3A with boost
                              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Working...
                              X