Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refresing the bottom end of my B6T. Do I need to replace rod/main bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refresing the bottom end of my B6T. Do I need to replace rod/main bolts?

Like the title says, my B6T has low oil pressure so I am planning on putting in new rod and main bearings and rebuilding the oil pump. My plans are to keep the engine at stock horsepower levels initially and some time in the future if I feel the need, possibly running more boost. I don't imagine ever looking for anything over 200 H.P. and more likely 175 H.P. The question is can the rod/main bearing bolts be re-used or would that be foolish? I know they are sometimes measured for stretch if you have specifications on the stretch limit. Can anyone offer any good advice on the?
    Thanks!
    '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
    '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
    '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

The bolts are not TTY, so you can reuse them.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I've never had a problem with re-using the factory rod bolts on a b6t at the HP levels you are looking for. Your goals are reasonable and should provide you with a reliable and incredibly quick little car.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

As always thanks for the tips guys. BTW or maybe I should say "By the way" Festyboy, what is TTY?
        '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
        '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
        '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Torque to yield. TTY bolts are designed to be tightened until they stretch slightly past their elasticity. This can only be effective once, so TTY bolts should be discarded after 1 use. They typically have some sort of a pattern on the shank, and have a TQ spec that will read in TQ followed by an extra degree of rotation (I.E. 60ft.lbs + 3/4 turn)
          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 04-03-2017, 03:05 PM.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Thank you Charlie for the clear and concise explanation.

Comment

Working...
            X