Hello from the UK- Mazda 121 build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from the UK- Mazda 121 build thread

Hello from the UK! I recently bought myself a little Mazda 121 as I daily, I'm quite used to Mazdas as I've owned a fair few MX5's in my time- Here's a few!

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

Anyway- I decided I needed a little hatchback to run around in, and what better than another Mazda!
    121's over here are like rocking horse doo too so the first one I saw I had to buy. For the grand sum of £200 I picked up the most ropey 121- oil leaks everywhere, brakes were..... interesting and the previous owner let a black can of paint explode in the interior! And here it is...

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

It's come a little way since then but I thought id pull my hand out and start a build thread!
    Last edited by samuelenifer; 06-18-2017, 04:40 PM.

Welcome. I had to Google rocking horse doo doo. Never heard that one before.
    Last edited by Eaglefreek; 06-18-2017, 05:54 PM.
    Rick
    1993 Ford Festiva
    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
    2000 Ford E350

Comment

Looks good! I'll give you your £200 back for that grill and headlights heck I'll even send a festiva grill and headlights!

Comment

Hello William! Are the Mazda 121 grills and headlights rare out in the states? There's barely any parts for these over here. I had to order the service kit directly from Japan when I did it a few weeks ago! You guys have some mega cool stuff out there for the festiva though- I'd love a louvre for the 121, plus you have the GTX kits and mid spoilers!!

Hello Eaglefreak, yeah sorry very British phrase that!

So, with the 121 collected first things first was to give it a complete service, new plugs, leads, oil, oil filter, air filter, alternator belt and most importantly the rocker gasket that had basically disintegrated! All over night parts from Japan. Annoyingly I forgot to take a picture from before to show how bad it was but here it is now after a good clean!

So I drove it around a little bit and then tackled the rear brakes which weren't great and a few niggily bits. That's when I decided it was time to tackle the dents and make the paint look a little more presentable.

I also decided to smooth out the rear

Then on with some primer...

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

Comment

Sadly, the US did not get anything with 121 equipment, nor did we get Louvers or GTX parts. All of those extras we have are either imported or Fiberglass copies.

Yours is looking better with the primer on it, that's for sure
          Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
          Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
          Feel free to PM me anytime!
          Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
          Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Originally posted by w4rkry View Post
            Sadly, the US did not get anything with 121 equipment, nor did we get Louvers or GTX parts. All of those extras we have are either imported or Fiberglass copies.

Yours is looking better with the primer on it, that's for sure
            Ah I never knew that! All the stuff I saw online were cars with US plates! The more you know!

So after a lot of sanding I took a trip down to the paint shop. Sadly due to a lack of a unit or garage using a spray gun was out of the question so the trusty rattle can came into play. I wanted to chose a different cookie but keep it old school. I had the old Ford Anglias in mind and picked up 1 can to test.... and here is how it came out.

IMG_0274.jpg

You'll have to ignore the overspray on the bumpers- there coming off and getting redone this weekend. Since then I had a set of KP61 Starlet mirrors turn up and I decided to tint the front light.

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

Comment

The starlet fender mirrors really set the look!
              Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

How to find me:

Comment

Originally posted by w4rkry View Post
                The starlet fender mirrors really set the look!
                Thanks buddy, I always wanted to put a pair on something. I had a old school K10 Nissan Micra a little while back I wanted to put them on. Decided to finally get around to ordering some!

Comment

Wow another UK member :O!!!

Interesting colour bud good work so far - what's the future plans?

I've got a 93 kia pride 1.1 carb 4 speed in red with a black bonnet now - mine is going low and re-done interior, paint(ish) and then will look at swapped engine

Comment

Originally posted by samuelenifer View Post
                    I wanted to chose a different cookie but keep it old school.
                    Welcome. I love the new look Sam. It looks fantastic. You could win Festiva of The Month. I love all your phrases also. I'm reading all your posts with a British accent. My mum was born in Lincoln. I've been to visit my auntie and cousins in Scarborough. They live in Wales now. I'd love to get back to the island. It felt like home to me. Keep us posted with updates. I've always liked the 121s. The Festiva over here really was Bare Bones. Some didn't even have a radio!
                    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
                    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
                    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
                    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
                    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
                    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                    '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Originally posted by David88 View Post
                      Welcome. I love the new look Sam. It looks fantastic. You could win Festiva of The Month. I love all your phrases also. I'm reading all your posts with a British accent. My mum was born in Lincoln. I've been to visit my auntie and cousins in Scarborough. They live in Wales now. I'd love to get back to the island. It felt like home to me. Keep us posted with updates. I've always liked the 121s. The Festiva over here really was Bare Bones. Some didn't even have a radio!
                      Hi David88! Thank you very much- Still some work to do, hopefully should get some done next weekend as I've been flat out with work! We do have some interesting phrases over here, I visited the states a little while ago and was always asked to say 'crumpets' ��

My 121 has a little cassett player in it that doesn't pick up any stations over here now so might as well not have one!

I'll get some more updates up next week, have a few things on order that I'll get fitted next weekend hopefully!

Comment

It's been a while since I've posted an update, so a little to go through however I've been flat out at work so had to get things done in between working.

So firstly I really wanted a splitter for the car and over here in the U.K. And in general there's not many options. I wanted to keep the retro look and previously I fitted a MK2 golf splitter to a K10 micro which came out okay. I thought that would be in keeping with the style and one Saturday after it arrived I thought I'd give it a go!

So basic fitting:

IMG_0363.jpg

Smoothed in to the body:

IMG_0365.jpg

Now painted:

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

Comment

Ah yes, it was your car! I thought I recognized it in your FB post!

Well done again with the lip, smoothing it out really helped finish the look.
                          Will Samet

How to find me:

Comment

Hello again Will! Yeah it is my little green machine. How much longer it stays green will see.

Yeah once I fitted it originally I knew I had to smooth it out to give it the right look.

Comment

Originally posted by samuelenifer View Post
                              Hello again Will! Yeah it is my little green machine. How much longer it stays green will see.

Yeah once I fitted it originally I knew I had to smooth it out to give it the right look.
                              What color were thinking instead of the Green? I was digging the Mint color, very Unique!
                              Will Samet

How to find me:

Comment

Working...
                              X