Autocross question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autocross question...

Which SSCA class would my Festiva run in with the following mods?

- B6 SOHC
    - lowered
    - strut bar
    - street tires
    - cylinder head work
    - header
    - modified air box.

Are there any other mods which would affect class?

Thanks
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

probably SM (Street Mod) just about all engine swaps wind up in SM.
    Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
    - Dennis Grant
    FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

Isnt it pretty hard to tell between a b3 and b6?
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

yes, but they will check casting #s. Certain groups call for teardown and measurement of the engine after a win.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by floydiancomplex View Post
          probably SM (Street Mod) just about all engine swaps wind up in SM.
          agreed

Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

In about every region if you are just running at a local event you could probably get away with F Street Prepared (FSP) but really you should be running in Street Mod (SM). I can almost guarantee that no one would know the differences between blocks and I mean 99.999999999% sure. No one I have run into knew the difference, they always asked me why I ran in SM, they thought the B6 SOHC was stock... So it really is your choice where you want to class your car. -Kyle
            Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Silv3rBull3t View Post
              In about every region if you are just running at a local event you could probably get away with F Street Prepared (FSP) but really you should be running in Street Mod (SM). I can almost guarantee that no one would know the differences between blocks and I mean 99.999999999% sure. No one I have run into knew the difference, they always asked me why I ran in SM, they thought the B6 SOHC was stock... So it really is your choice where you want to class your car. -Kyle
              agreed. unless you are running in some higher up clubs and events they probobly won't know. but then again who cares what class you run. i just go to see how i do against other cars and other drivers. although i guess it would effect your PAX time.

-Scott
              Aqua 93 L
              Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
              White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

Andy should be the one to consult here, i have the same mods and was placed in ST for the day...
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Yeah, everyone above is correct. Street Mod, or FSP, no one will know, OR care about your B6, unless you start winning every event... LOL...

Street Mod, or D Modified are the only two LEGAL classes with that swap though...

You could definitely get away with FSP

With street tires, you are going to be WAY slow in those classes. The might let you run it in STS, as that is a tire class.
                  Just go run, and have fun. SM or any other class
                  Have had 6 Festys... and counting...

My Website:
                  http://www.StanfordMotorSports.com

Car Domain:
                  http://www.cardomain.com/id/Quaddawg
                  My Garage Page:
                  http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/vb...o=view&id=6724

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                    yes, but they will check casting #s. Certain groups call for teardown and measurement of the engine after a win.

ahahahaha no one is going to tear down an autocross motor.

to be honest, i race in sm and unless you are the next schumacher, you arent going to be competitive nationally. this past summer, i raced against the reigning national sm car (showcase mitsu evo) and it is downright nasty. its really hard to compete with a 500 awp car when it can out perform your car in every single aspect. the way they power through decreasing raduis, off camber corners is disturbing.

that being said, i wage jihad against subies all autox season long!!

Comment

Thanks to all for your input. I hope to give this a try when it gets going in the spring. The main goal is to have fun and get better each time out; hopefully without breaking anything or rolling over.

I have a couple more questions for you regarding the rear suspension. Does a stiffer rear suspension affect the under/over steer? Secondly, which is more desirable for autocross?

Thanks again
                      Ian
                      Calgary AB, Canada
                      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Just ask any woman Stiffer is better.!! LOL!!

Comment

Hey hey now...

Ian - the idea is to start off slow on your first run and make improvement with each additional run (and... Not DNF'ing by going off course). I would guess that if you're going to be running regular street tires, you shouldn't have to worry about rolling or anything.

As for the suspension side of things. I'm not really sure. I'm sure someone will chime in with more experience than me though.
                          Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Stiffer rear is usually the best setup for a FWD Autocross car. It promotes oversteer but if it is too stiff it will make the car too oversteer happy. There is no right setup, some drivers love it tail happy (usually because they have a nice diff to pull them out of the mess they put themselves in) and some like it nice and controllable, understeer. That being said, faster is usually on the verge of tail happy. -Kyle
                            Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

Working...
                            X