Launching on stock trans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Launching on stock trans?

Anyone here run the stock trans on a BP? I was thinking of going to the Drag strip saturday but dont want to ride it home on a Tow truck.

Any tips on launching?
    Previous owner of ZEFstiva

Yeah, don't do it.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

you got to understand the clutch that all that power is being held on is the size of my hand, also the e series is more of a dd transmission not a launching/ racing trans lol made for a 1.3 so ...
      1991 stiva.

Comment

Buahahaha chad I am surprised you haven't shattered that clutch disk so far. You do know that the disk itself is no bigger then your hand. Your BP has far more horse power then that clutch or tranny is rated for. With your engine, suspension, and tire setup a F-series with a 6 puck could probably take the abuse. A G-series would be ideal.
        89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
        My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

With that clutch and tranny, you haven't experienced the full power of a BP. When VICS hits that clutch has to be slippin. When VICS would hit on my low compression BP, it would try to tear the tires off from 1st to 3rd if I stayed hard into the throttle. God how I miss my engine already.

Comment

I made my clutch (a fresher exedy) slip at about the 110 hp mark at a roll, and a BP is certainly 15hp more than that.
            Probably the worse that would happen to your clutch is that it slips...but doesn't actually "break", besides, you Can get another very easily.
            But that would be because the little pinion gears (just like the ones pictured below) would shatter instead from the shock loading, and remember these had the additional support of a phantom grip to help distribute that shock!

When you loose these, you may very well loose the trans housing as well, but that's ok too, because you can't find decent replacement pinion gears for an "E" anyway.
            So it will be down to the trans store for you for a complete E, F, or G replacement! So you just gotta ask yourself, "do you feel lucky? Well do ya"..? Ha, Ha ,Ha
            Last edited by iceracerdude; 06-01-2011, 11:00 AM.
            97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
            CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
            Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
              "do you feel lucky?" well do ya?
              Paha good quote!
              Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 06-01-2011, 10:51 AM.

Comment

I've been running the e trans with my BP for over 20,000 miles now. It will be risky to really dump the clutch. If it were me I would just kind of get a roll then hit it. My clutch and tranny have held up well even when getting on it. But your clutch will start slipping if you do it alot. But I think you could probably get a few good runs in if you baby the launch a tad.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Chad if you went back to the stock festiva tires im sure that would reduce some of the slippage. If you have less rotational mass that would ease some of the load off the clutch. My B8 and E-series combo did great and I think part of it was because I wasn't running anything bigger then stock wheels and tires. The down fall to this though is traction.

Comment

Ok, I think I may make one pass than just to get a time.
                    Previous owner of ZEFstiva

Comment

Whatever you do don't do a burn out. Not even to clean the tires!

Comment

When you go to launch pre load tranny. When your at the line pull the e-brake up and let the clutch out until it's at the engagement point and the car squats. This is much easier on the tranny then dumping the clutch.
                        91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                        14 C7 Z51

Comment

That's going cause the clutch to get hot and slip. If that clutch starts to grab its going to cause friction and friction causes heat. Personally I would take off like taking off at a stop light, shift to 2nd then give her hell. Whatever you do chad try to keep the clutch cool atleast until you have launched. If you get that bad boy hot before the launch then there isn't going to be much of a launch. His clutch is his weak point not the tranny. Just my opinion.
                          Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 06-01-2011, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
                            That's going cause the clutch to get hot and slip. If that clutch starts to grab its going to cause friction and friction causes heat. Personally I would take off like taking off at a stop light, shift to 2nd then give her hell. Whatever you do chad try to keep the clutch cool atleast until you have launched. If you get that bad boy hot before the launch then there isn't going to be much of a launch. His clutch is his weak point not the tranny. Just my opinion.
                            This is how to do it ^^ As soon as your clutch gets hot your done making passes. The very limited times I get on it I will take off like at a light then hammer it.
                            Update us with your times! I'm curious being that we have a very similar set up :p
                            Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                            The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

I'm curious too. When I was running the B8/BP/F-series combo I noticed that if the engine wasn't revved tight going from 1st to 2nd it would usually hook up great and launch, of course I wasn't running the E-series so i'm not sure on how the shifting and gearing will play a factor in getting the best time with his setup. If he can get the clutch to hook up the rest of the pass will be good.

Comment

Working...
                              X