Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning Off Speedo

Hey guys I was wondering something.

I'm not much of a mechanic, I'm a rookie as of this year, but I'm trying to learn more and more. We had a friend of ours saying that he was able to turn off his Speedo by switch, claiming that it made him faster since he was not worried about his speed, just looking at the road/tach. Is this actually possible or is he blowing this switch stuff out his behind? If it's possible to do this I think I would actually consider it because when we get up in speed I tend to let my eyes wander to the speedo. I tried searching for threads but mainly came up with replacing or upgrading the speedo instead of switching it. What are your guys' thoughts on it?

Car #789
    Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group
    1992 Festiva L - BP Swapped, Aspire Swapped, Rally America Sanctioned.
    1993 Festiva GL - 4sp Automatic and the bluest car i've ever seen...
    http://www.facebook.com/warally

Festiva's use a cable from the transmission to the back of the speedometer so using and electrical switch wouldn't work.
    Some of the newer obd2 cars use a sensor at the transmission to send the signal. I had to replace the sensor on my 98 Dakota several years ago.
    Dont really see any benefit in turning it off on those.
    I'm fairly sure it sends the signal to.the computer.
    No signal from the speed sensor would probably cause the computer to set the a/f ratio wrong on the engine.
    A/f = air / fuel ratio.
    Last edited by Team Lightning; 09-01-2012, 12:52 AM.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

it is mechanical...no way to switch it off. You could unscrew the cable from the tranny before a race
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Yeah I kinda thought it was mechanical in some way or another. I have a friend that turns his speedo off during stage rallys, and turns it back on during transit. Says he's had better luck like that. His car is a Subaru impreza though, not a Festiva, so its not as cool anyways.

Thanks guys

Car #789
        Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group

Comment

rip out the whole dash, lighter weight, you will go faster

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
          1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

i never ever thought a speedo would decrease horsepower enough to actually want to disable it

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Its a mind game . Cut a piece of black paper for the center of the dash !!!
              New build on the way .

Comment

seal the doors windows etc. and fill the passenger compartment with hydrogen, makes it lighter and faster :lol:

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

seal the doors windows etc. and fill the passenger compartment with hydrogen, makes it lighter and faster
                  lol hell yeah! Shave all the hair off your body, drive naked... ect. thats our next plan

Car #789

Comment

Don't forget you can't eat anything 3 days prior to race day, go to the bathroom repeatedly the day of the race,..... Nah just throw in 2 more cylinders haha

Comment

Not knowing what type of car your friend is driving might make a difference on what he's telling you. All of my more modern cars have electric speedos, the festies and aspires are mechanical. If your friend is in the same boat, mechanical, then he's probably refering to the psychological edge he's getting from actually not knowing how fast he's going into turns. He's not thinking things like "I wonder how fast I really did that turn at, if I subtract some of the wheel spin" etc. I've actually used my boost gauge to gauge my wheel spin! Loosing boost, let off a little till the boost continues assending, roll on more throttle. You can have a certain amount of wheel spin and still be accelerating of course, but having more of a reference point than just sound or an inaccurate speedo system is an advantage. GPS would give you the most accurate ground speed reference, but some races, or more specifically, some stages of some races won't allow them. The Dakar comes to mind.
                      97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                      CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                      Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Dakar is definitely interesting. I believe he has an electric speedo, giving him the ability to turn it off... What i'd really like to do is just replace the speedometer with a tachometer. We have a GPS installed into the dash (even though most roads we race don't show up). We gauge our speed off of it though. Gotta get that tach is in my mind right now...

Edit: oh yeah his car is a Subaru Impreza WRX, I believe from 2004.
                        Last edited by WTFestiva; 09-13-2012, 11:12 AM. Reason: Got off track

Car #789

Comment

1. Cut dash out for weight savings

2. Install huge tach, because racecar

3. Just keep up with traffic in tansit

Oh and put a bp or v6 in it.
                          -Greg
                          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                          Redneck Engineer
                          FOTY - '09
                          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Make a sticker out of masking tape that reads, " not fast enough" and cover your Speedo with it. Lol
                            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                              seal the doors windows etc. and fill the passenger compartment with hydrogen, makes it lighter and faster :lol:
                              Then hope your passenger doesn't launch an air biscuit :p
                              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                              X