Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

was hoping for 11's tonight but got a surprise instead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
    You know those rubber donut couplers that are used in drive shafts in RWD? What if you had one of those in the middle of each half shaft?

One of these. $17 a pop before shipping, plus whatever to cut some flanges, split the shafts, weld, bolt....

They also come in urethane, but $$$.
    You'd also have to redo the heat treating/temper process. I can see something like that amplifying torque steer too (even on a 3 shaft setup like the Gtrans).

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
      You know where I'm going with this... Manual turbo cars are violent off the line, especially with slicks. JT is WAAAAAY exceeding the torque capability of the stock half shaft and, with his new LSD, is going to be very effective at transmitting all the power to the tire. a well-heated slick should be able to hold it's portion of ~270 whp and provide traction. The half shaft on the other hand wasn't very happy with the result of that!

On another note... I also recommend he get a thicker, harder shaft that can go longer that his current limp version. Getting overexcited and blowing it too early leads to performance anxiety.
      I don't really think he is. These parts are the same design and strength that people use in heavier cars that run 11's. I think he probably got a bad axle. Can't trust these reman Chinese axles to hold up to this abuse. Too bad JT sold all his OEM first run axles to some looser in Arizona. Haha
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I use GSP axles.
        -Greg
        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
        Redneck Engineer
        FOTY - '09
        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

so... on a very sell prepped track my new slicks grab crazy hard... so hard that they snapped my cross member in half

one of my good friends went and picked up his welder and brought it out to the track to get me back rolling. excited about my second chance i was ready fro 11's... hot 2nd... tires dead hooked and... drivers axle snapped again... looks like its some cheap cast part... i need some OEM forged axles
          I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

im never letting you drive my car.... your way to rough on things lol :p

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
            1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
              im never letting you drive my car.... your way to rough on things lol :p
              Right? I was looking at this, and woke the wife up with my exclamations!
              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Mine blew a hole in the stock crossmember
                -Greg
                Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                Redneck Engineer
                FOTY - '09
                5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                  Mine blew a hole in the stock crossmember
                  i ripped a couple stock cross members in half...

Comment

Over torque can also cause failures in that area. Not saying that they were overtorqued, but it's something to keep in mind. At least with your new traction you are finding the weak spots. :p
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

look into getting a set of Empi axles!! there not remanufactured there new! there much thicker then stock/remans. they had them on ebay a couple weeks back for like 120 for a set.

Comment

They don't make them for the Capri XR2. It shows that they will fit, but I ordered them and they didn't. Also, those are manufactured in China, I haven't ever broken a set (have used them for years on my VW's) but just saying.

Comment

im gonna try to get my hands on some good OE axles and see what happens... if those snap ill look into aftermarket

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                            They don't make them for the Capri XR2. It shows that they will fit, but I ordered them and they didn't. Also, those are manufactured in China, I haven't ever broken a set (have used them for years on my VW's) but just saying.

I got a set of empis, they fit. I can take a picture tomorrow there much thicker then stock. Nice heavy duty silicone boot too.

Comment

Huh...Lucky! Where did you order these axles?

Comment

Working...
                              X