My first race. 1/8th mile.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first race. 1/8th mile.

I don't have any buddies that do the 1/4 close to me so I had to go do some 1/8th action with another. Had a blast my first time ever on a track, though my 1st 4 runs were rather embarrassing. On my first 2 runs I found out very quickly that you need more than a 2 gallons of fuel in your tank. The 3rd run was typical newbie. I ground gears going into 2nd on the G lol, and my 4th run was an attempt at a good launch just like Greg. 6k+. Doesn't work for my car lol. Spun and spun and kept on spinning. 2500-3000 is about it on 175mm street tires.

Then came my 5th run. I got off the line much better but somewhere around this time in the morning I hadn't quite figured out how to hold my car with the ebrake cause the launch pad was a little downhill backwards. Needless to say my clutch was slipping well into 2nd gear on run 5. lol Run 6 was good. I had finally got my reaction time down to the .018 to the .038 range for the rest of the day. The dial in race was cool. I figured what the heck, I'll try a 10.3 By the time it was my turn someone had already gotten a .005 so I figured my money was a $10 donation to the winner. I gave it my all. Got back to the pits and they told me I was winning at that point with a 10.308 Evidently the .005 guy redlighted or something. Well the last guy pulled of a .005 So I almost made rookie of the day. lol

Stock BP/ G-tranny. Rio front end cut 1.5 coils, stock Festiva rear end. That's it nothing special but was a good enough of a combination to make for a fun day. Though I did find later in the day that, like Rob told me, the BP really flattens out at 5500 or so. If only I woulda' listened to him and shifted earlier.

If I woulda' reacted in this race (below) like I did in the above race I woulda' been in the 9's BUT if if if if if.

Still can't trash talk ya Greg. Cause I suck and you are a Festiva Racing Machine.
    -Bryant

You too Brad. lol
    -Bryant

Comment

Pretty awesome man, i wish there was a 1/4 track closer to us. How much tire pressure did you end up with?
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

National Trail Raceway is only 45 minutes from me. We can go as they race EVERY weekend. Just don't want to go by myself. lol

I started with 35psi. lol then went to 31. then to 29. But decided 31 worked best for my tires and the 88* temps all day. lol
        -Bryant

Comment

Great runs Gomez, thanks for posting them up.
          -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Buy my BP and we'll make it happen
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

nice runs! i think greg uses slicks for those high rpm launches
              Last edited by kumalaba; 07-15-2014, 06:36 AM.
              Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

I know he does. I was experimenting with a bunch of different things. But it really goes to show how well them slicks hook up. Double the hp and more than double the rpm and he pulls 1.6 sec 60 footers.
                -Bryant

Comment

And the driver mod^ lol
                  -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

r/t very good!
                    Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Yes, The driver Mod. I raced MX for several years and nearly made pro. It amazes me how new guys think they can do some of the things pro guys do. It's cause they make it look so easy. No doubt I picked up on the R/T's quickly cause of my mx experience. But the rest of the package isn't quite that easy. I have to learn how to do it all at the same time. lol

There was an old man in staging late in the day. He was changing his dial time by .02 sec He asked how I was doing (we had talked earlier). I told him I think I have it figured out. He LAUGHED!!! "Buddy, I have been doing this since I was 15 years old. There ain't no way in hell you have this figured out on your first day". I restated by saying "I think I have it figured out to within .4 seconds He laughed even harder and said "That's more like it." It made my day
                      -Bryant

Comment

When you went to moto did you ever race with your street tires on your bike? Essentially that's what we are doing when we don't run slicks at the track. You can still race but to be competitive you gotta have the right setup. I'm guilty too. I've done a lot of passes without the right tires. Just waisting my time really.
                        1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

You're right. Me racing with this car is just practice for when my other car gets done.
                          Last edited by Gomez; 07-16-2014, 08:42 AM.
                          -Bryant

Comment

Working...
                          X