No announcement yet.

Rode in a 426hp 4th gen camaro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryal texted me the picture so I could post it. This is the left front, which is the load bearing corner of a clockwise track (like the one we tested at). I had the car sliding on 3 wheels at near 75mph on 145mm tires. After 5 laps of that the poor little tires would never be the same.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

"That's something serious camber wear, bro" :p
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Funny thing is the car has neg camber and that's the outside edge. Oops. Lol
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

For this test the front camber was set to 1.7°negative, 1/32 total toe in. The right front is quite worn also, but the wear is almost even.
          Tyres went on the car October 2016.
          Last edited by Dragonhealer; 04-05-2017, 12:14 AM.
          No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
            Funny thing is the car has neg camber and that's the outside edge. Oops. Lol
            Oh I know but I can't recall how many times I've had to correct other mechanics/customers when they declare that a car has camber wear when in fact it's toe wear.

That pic just goes to show how much side loading and deflection tires can see when they are pushed.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

32 psi hot is my go to tire pressure. Run a few laps, bring it in, check pressures. In this festy i bring the rear up to 34 or 36 depending on how loose i want the rear end.

I'm game for a group skype, we're throwing around tons of info.. never get to this detail at in person car meets.

Comment

Do you check your pressure after each lap? A couple guys at my local spot bring yard sprayers. They will check their pressure after each lap and bleed out as needed and spray after the lap to bring temps back down.
                1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
                1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
                1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
                19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
                1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I've never done a Skype meeting before, but I'd give it a shot.
                  RdstrBlk, the nature of your comments indicate that you have to try to get the back loose. This makes me wonder if your front end is sticking like it should.
                  I have to do everthing possible to keep the back from coming out. The faster I can go without the back coming out, the quicker my lap times. It's one of the reasons I warn against wide tires in the rear. Bringing them up to temp can be a scary experience unless your used to it, and I've been warned a few times at the track to, "stay in control" when I was sideways around every corner durng my warm up lap. That is what I've gotta do to get them hot, and I've gotten fairly decent at doing it without spinning in circles (sometimes, lol).
                  The worst is when the back tires cool off under yellow and then they throw green and the fronts are sticky and the backs are cold again. That's a sure fire way to spin off the track.
                  Keep in mind, this stuff isn't happening at normal econobox speeds, we're talking about speeds high enough to tailgate GT class race cars on slicks around corners.
                  Last edited by Advancedynamix; 04-05-2017, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Maybe it's because of the wheel offset or suspension design, or rear drum brakes not allowing me to left foot brake to turn the car. But yeah, that rear end grips. The car will push before it spins at 32 psi all around. With 34 in rear, pretty balanced. 36, just enough slide to have controlled oversteer (mainly for fun, I don't have times of these differences unfortunately.) I'm probably still not driving the car right honestly haha. The chassis needs more driver and more engine
                    Last edited by RdstrBlk; 04-05-2017, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                      I've never done a Skype meeting before, but I'd give it a shot.
                      RdstrBlk, the nature of your comments indicate that you have to try to get the back loose. This makes me wonder if your front end is sticking like it should.
                      I have to do everthing possible to keep the back from coming out. The faster I can go without the back coming out, the quicker my lap times. It's one of the reasons I warn against wide tires in the rear. Bringing them up to temp can be a scary experience unless your used to it, and I've been warned a few times at the track to, "stay in control" when I was sideways around every corner durng my warm up lap. That is what I've gotta do to get them hot, and I've gotten fairly decent at doing it without spinning in circles (sometimes, lol).
                      The worst is when the back tires cool off under yellow and then they throw green and the fronts are sticky and the backs are cold again. That's a sure fire way to spin off the track.
                      Keep in mind, this stuff isn't happening at normal econobox speeds, we're talking about speeds high enough to tailgate GT class race cars on slicks around corners.
                      So how does this car do in autocross then? If you have to do a hard crazy lap to heat up the tires it seems like i will never get them hot enough doing one (60 second) lap every so often. Then given my low speeds lets say 60mph tops how will i be able to get the rear to come around or corner hard enough to three wheel steer as you say?
                      1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
                      1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
                      1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
                      19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
                      1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by RdstrBlk View Post
                        Maybe it's because of the wheel offset or suspension design, or rear drum brakes not allowing me to left foot brake to turn the car. But yeah, that rear end grips. The car will push before it spins at 32 psi all around. With 34 in rear, pretty balanced. 36, just enough slide to have controlled oversteer (mainly for fun, I don't have times of these differences unfortunately.) I'm probably still not driving the car right honestly haha. The chassis needs more driver and more engine
                        Your still on stock suspension right?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Very far from it. Entirely custom made by PO and shops around town. Maybe similar to the advanced(tm) setup

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
                            So how does this car do in autocross then? If you have to do a hard crazy lap to heat up the tires it seems like i will never get them hot enough doing one (60 second) lap every so often. Then given my low speeds lets say 60mph tops how will i be able to get the rear to come around or corner hard enough to three wheel steer as you say?
                            Really good questions, but I don't really know. Last time I auto crossed a FWD was a long time ago, my mothers '81 Renault 5.
                            You will have to experiment, keeping good notes will help.
                            No car too fast !

Comment

^ a small torch in each wheel well?

Comment

How does this car do in autocross? All you have to do us read some of the build threads.
                                Clifferton won his local FWD class championship with a stock b3, coilovers like yours and no interior. He was consistently one of the quicker cars at the events.
                                Theastronaut is having similar results with his carbureted B3, even though his spark plugs were about to fall out. He didn't think much of the festiva, and was ready to sell it after buying his mint condition NA Miata. He brought both cars to an autocross and ran 2 seconds faster in the festiva.
                                These guys, as well as a few others have all posted good results and verified that the setup works.
                                I haven't autocrossed in a decade or more, and when I last did it was in a Porsche, so I'm not the guy to ask for the latest autocross setup. I can only speculate how things will work, from a little seat time sliding these cars around.

You won't have a chance to get the tires hot, but neither will anyone else. This is why I recommend the 165mm wide tires for autocross. However, with 5 degrees of negative camber in the back, you'll be fine on those 185s.
                                To fully utilize the chassis in an autocross event, like what can be done on a race track, you'd need purpose made autocross tires and a whole lot of practice. For now, just enjoy yourself and try to be easy on the cones. Lol
                                Last edited by Advancedynamix; 04-05-2017, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X