No announcement yet.

Autocrossing a bone-stock Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggest limitation all stock will be 12" tires. If you can get some 13 or 14" wheels, pref 6" wide, and some appropriately sized tires that is the first step. After that suspension work. But even stock or very close to stock you will have a blast, and should run close to or better than others in your class.
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

I did a bit of auto crossing back when I had a stock festiva. It did ok with the completely worn out suspension and the 12" rims. The power really isn't that big of a problem and I personally think the gearing was good for the B3. I think a stock drivetrain car with proper suspension and good tires would be very competitive autocrossing. The biggest problem is the solid front rotors can heat up pretty bad even when only autocrossing. Good fresh brake fluid and the softest pads you can find would probably get you by though.

My b6 car has pretty much been the fastest car on street tires any time I took it autocrossing. It's also probably quicker now, as I was mostly taking it to trouble shoot when I first built it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stradbrother View Post
        Im pretty terrible with electronics, so I better go through the engine bay.
        I would say that it is probably easier to just tap into the wire that feeds the back of the Instrument Cluster then to go through the engine bay. I installed mine on the right hand side of the steering wheel and ran the wires through the clock bezel. I would recommend that also tie into the Dimmer switch if you decide to use a lighted gauge. If I remember correctly you use the dimmer switch as your ground but better use a multi meter to make sure.
        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
        sigpic
        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
          Biggest limitation all stock will be 12" tires. If you can get some 13 or 14" wheels, pref 6" wide, and some appropriately sized tires that is the first step. After that suspension work. But even stock or very close to stock you will have a blast, and should run close to or better than others in your class.
          I think that if you switch away from stock wheel size then they put you in a higher class. Might be able to get away with switching to some 13" steelies as long as no one there knows any better. Run some 165/65/13 tires, lose about 17mm off of the sidewall and keeps it fairly close to the stock height.
          sigpic
          "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

Comment

Tires and struts will be the weak link. Brakes should be fine if they're in good condition, you won't be going fast enough with a stock engine to overheat them. On the street I've done a few 80-30, then 60-30 stops back to back without overheating the brakes, so they'll be fine on an autocross course. I barely use the brakes on the track, just a quick stab right at the entry of each slower corner. You probably won't make it out of second gear (45-50 mph) so you don't have to worry about a tach or over revving it. My carb'd '88 barely pulls itself to 6,000 rpm in second gear in a straight line, and I have to be going downhill in first to get it to go to 7,000 rpm (only tried that once!) so I doubt you'll be able to over rev it. We run in a very tight parking lot so the most I get up to is maybe 40 mph in second.

Mike, didn't you find 13" tires in a pretty low treadwear? Maybe you could sneak those on a set of black steelies, shorten the rear shock shafts, and add progressive bump stops in the rear to help it handle better while staying in a "stock" class. If you're just going for fun, don't worry too much about which group they put you in- you're there for fun, not laps times.

Don't let the fact that it's stock keep you from getting out there and having fun though, you'll learn to be a better driver and get to know the limits of the car so you'll be a better and safer driver on the street.
            '88 L- B6d-Sidedraft Dellorto Carbs-G-Series-Advanced Suspension
            '89 L B3-5 speed-A/C-Advanced Suspension

Project Goldilocks '66 C10 Short Fleet BBW Build
            '65 C10 Highly Detailed Stock Restoration Thread
            '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work
            '66 F100 Full Rotisserie Restoration
            '40 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration
            How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster
            How To Detail Sand Body Panels, Edges, Corners

Comment

Does anyone have a good link to any tutorials for installing an aftermarket tach?

I'm super unfamiliar with car electronics. Motor and tranny im all good with
              1991 white festiva 259xxx miles and counting
              1985 Corvette C4 😏😏

Comment

You should get a factory Tach Cluster, easy and clean!

- Korean Note 4 via Tapatalk -
                Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
                Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
                Feel free to PM me anytime!
                Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
                Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Yup. Lol

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a couple Tach clusters that I will be bringing to Madness with me as well.

My first Tach I wired up was a really cheap one from Amazon. LINK If I remember correctly these are the wires I tapped into

Illumination Wires
                    Red - Cluster Lights
                    Black - Dimmer Switch

Tach Wires
                    Red - Keyed Ignition Positive
                    Black - Constant Ground
                    Green - Tack Wire in back of Cluster - Green and Yellow Wire I Think...

Again I would invest in a $15 multi meter and check wires before you start tapping into things.
                    Last edited by firebush357; 09-15-2017, 03:10 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

I have coupons for a Free Multi-meter from Harbor Freight with any purchase.

Buy a 27c phillips bit, use the coupon, now you have a bit and Multimeter for 30c after tax.
                      Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

How to find me:

Comment

Word. I think I'm going to start getting into adding a tach once I get passed this weekend's Autocross event.

Ok... Another question in this long thread...

I have a few options here.

There is one scca club very near me that seems pretty cool, but it is the last event of the season. Also, they group all of the novices together. I know its not about the ranking, but I want to be grouped based on class, not just stuck in novice with a group of camaros and corvettes you know?

Theres another about two hours from me that is starting a new season called "post season challenge", this is a whole new series with everyone starting from 0 in points. Also, the novices aren't grouped with other novices, you go by class.

Would it be worth taking a drive to this other place and starting fresh, or sticking to the closer club on the last race of the season and novice herding?
                        1985 Corvette C4 😏😏

Comment

Originally posted by Stradbrother View Post
                          Word. I think I'm going to start getting into adding a tach once I get passed this weekend's Autocross event.

Ok... Another question in this long thread...

I have a few options here.

There is one scca club very near me that seems pretty cool, but it is the last event of the season. Also, they group all of the novices together. I know its not about the ranking, but I want to be grouped based on class, not just stuck in novice with a group of camaros and corvettes you know?

Theres another about two hours from me that is starting a new season called "post season challenge", this is a whole new series with everyone starting from 0 in points. Also, the novices aren't grouped with other novices, you go by class.

Would it be worth taking a drive to this other place and starting fresh, or sticking to the closer club on the last race of the season and novice herding?
                          I would go with whatever is close, if it's the end of the season I don't think the points will matter much anyway.

Have you seen the factory Tach before?
                          Will Samet

How to find me:

Comment

Are they at the same time/day? Why not do both? If it were me i would want to do more than one against the same people so i would drive. But i drive 2hrs a day for work, so that kinda thing doesnt really bother me, lol

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by w4rkry View Post
                              I would go with whatever is close, if it's the end of the season I don't think the points will matter much anyway.

Have you seen the factory Tach before?
                              I have seen the factory tach and I do like it. I like the idea of changing out the whole cluster but man... I am freaked out about messing something up...

Also, if it is this late in the season and most clubs only have 2-3 races left, is it worth buying an SCCA membership? How long does the membership last?
                              1985 Corvette C4 😏😏

Comment

and they are the same day at the same time, sadly.
                                1985 Corvette C4 😏😏

Comment

Working...
                                X