2018 Project Black-Water AutoX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Project Black-Water AutoX

2018 brings changes to my autocross setup! I have picked up a free rust free shell. I will convert this new shell to be my autocross car. This shell has not been wrecked or hacked on yet. It is all stock for now. I will convert the current autocross car into a b6t that will be later sold or something.

The plans:
    The car will get all of Overkills goodies.
    The rear beam will go back to a festy beam with drilled drums for the correct bolt pattern. Trying to cut weight and try the festy beam vs the aspire beam from last year.
    The rear will also get the camber plates put back in.
    Swapping cams in the head looking for a bit more performance.
    Dropping from 3.0" intercooler tubing down to 2.5" tubing
    Dropping the gas tank and going with a small 2 gallon tank mounted to the fire wall.
    Removing all glass even the windshield
    (Cut out spare tire wheel well) should i?
    Make a lightweight front core support
    light weight front crash bar
    remove all lights and wiring that is not needed.
    Remove all weight that i can
    Add aero mods (front spliter, new fenders, hood, side skirts, under tray, rear diffuser)

If i can swing it i will try to make some Carbon Fiber doors, hatch, bumpers, and will overlay the aero mods in Carbon as well.

The major task i want to get done is take the car to Carlos in FL and have him tune the car in person. Get the car running good. The 2017 season was all done on a very very rich tune.
    Last edited by w4rkry; 01-02-2018, 01:28 PM.
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Once the inter-cooler tubing is at 2.5" and the tune is proper i think the car will run way way better then it did for me last year. In the tight small corners i hope to have some more get up and go. As of now on the tight stuff the car would kinda stall out and i have to wait a bit for it to kick back in and go. Im looking for the power to be there as soon as i hit the gas. I think a proper tune and the right size piping will make a huge difference in this car. Waiting for the car to go down low was killing me. When i watch the few videos i do have its almost like i wasnt even hitting the gas after a few turns. I was clearly on the throttle in them but the car was just not reacting the way it should have. This alone slowed me down on several turns each and every time out. Im not sure how much it hurt me but it did. I can remember even on my fastest lap of the year coming out of 2 different turns and had enough time to say to myself come on!!!

I started to do pretty good even tho the car was all over the place and badly tuned. Next year is sure to be a fun one. Im not sure that i will get my list all the way done but i will try.
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Cutting out the spare tire well will only save you the weight of the vertical part of the wheel well, since you will still have to put in some flat metal to fill the hole. Might save just a couple of pounds. I think it's more useful to keep it there as a storage location, like for a quart of oil, some tools, jumper cables, etc. Plus it's out of sight, under an essentially weightless piece of carpet.
      Last edited by TominMO; 01-06-2018, 02:31 PM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Why are you going to hack up a perfectly decent shell when you have one that's already been butchered? seems like more work than it's worth for just an AX toy.
        ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
        91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
        1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
        2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
          Why are you going to hack up a perfectly decent shell when you have one that's already been butchered? seems like more work than it's worth for just an AX toy.
          Because i want the best possible chance at winning. My current car has frame damage. Before i got the car it was hit in the front passengers side. The frame is pushed in as if from a front end collision. It drives good and all that but its not perfect.

Black-Water has no title! I dont want to go through the trouble of trying to get a title for it. So its no big deal to convert it to the new autocross car. Overkill will then become a normal festiva again. Maybe i sell it at that point.
          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            Cutting out the spare tire well will only save you the weight of the vertical part of the wheel well, since you will still have to put in some flat metal to fill the hole. Might save just a couple of pounds. I think it's more useful to keep it there as a storage location, like for a quart of oil, some tools, jumper cables, etc. Plus it's out of sight, under an essentially weightless piece of carpet.
            This is not going to be daily driven at all. It has no title! It will be trailered to and from events only. It being an autocross car in the mod class i want every last ounce out of it i can get. I dont think i will ever be at the top of the class but i have a chance at being one of the fastest guys at my local spot.

My thought was to cover the hole with a carbon panel. The goal was just to cut the weight from the rear. Again im going up against mod level cars so i have to MAXX out the car to make up for my lack of skills.
            1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Makes sense. Didn't realize overkill was so badly damaged. Thats the reason Skeeter is my daily - some rust + front end damage, I'm not trying to put down more than bp power.
              ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
              91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
              1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
              2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
                Makes sense. Didn't realize overkill was so badly damaged. Thats the reason Skeeter is my daily - some rust + front end damage, I'm not trying to put down more than bp power.
                Its not bad by any means! I did well in the car my 1st year out. However i happen to have a nice new no title car thats straight. It just makes sense to keep overkill on the road and turn a no title car into something.
                1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Black-Water has started!
                  Last edited by w4rkry; 04-02-2018, 10:38 PM.
                  1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

This is relevant to my interests as I'd like to start autocrossing mine. What class will you be competing in? I'm guessing a Prepared or Mod class given the engine and body work.

I'm thinking of trying STS someday. Probably get murdered by Miata and CRXs, but it'll be fun murder.
                    Last edited by CyberEric; 04-02-2018, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Im in fp.
                      1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Black water is gutted. Time to trimm some weight.

Black water day 2 https://imgur.com/gallery/FdNiS
                        Last edited by mikemounlio; 04-03-2018, 08:48 PM.
                        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

If you send me your e-mail address, I'll show you what I cut out of my car.

I cut out the spare tire wheel well, and If I had to do it over again probably wouldn't do it. I think you have a much more rigid car by keeping it in. However it makes working on the rear underbody much easier to do - nothing is in the way.

A weight savings can be done by removing (ie wire brushing off) ALL of the tar like sound deadening. Inside and out....Major pain to do and you will need to make a rotisserie to work on the bottom of the car (easy to make out of plywood).

The list goes on and on....

Comment

id leave the tank in the center of the car. or use a fuel cell. its better weight distribution imo
                            CURRENT. Past
                            88 festiva L. 89 xr4ti
                            14 foST. 89 xr4ti
                            82 F100. 97 silverado
                            82 GS1000. 06 h3
                            82 GS750. 79 ta 6.6
                            74 TC185. 89 turbo katana 600
                            69 T500. 80 gs1000
                            15 sonic 82 cr480r

Comment

Cool! Curious, what spring rates and suspension are you running?

Comment

Working...
                              X