Can you have success dyeing a dash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you have success dyeing a dash?

Not in a Festiva, actually in a Saab 9000. I figured I would ask here because for a small community, you guys are some of the most knowledgeable folks in general I've been a member with, and tend to go a little father than others, we all love a quirky little car.

My dash is a dark beige, and I'm interested in reasonably rare Aero seats from another 9000, and it's interior is a light beige, almost Grey. Can I dye my dash? It's a pain to change a dash, I don't really want to. Everything else I can swap out with ease.

Is there a difference between dyeing my dark beige/brown a lighter tan than say black?

Black dash with a light interior, would that even look good/oem? Basically I want something that looks good, that it could have come from the factory that way.

Here's what I'm dealing with.

Do Vegetarians eat animal crackers?

maybe this site will be of some use to you

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

hay i got me a 1994 saab 9000 cse looking to sell lol but u need to check out saabcentral.com if u need any help with it. but if you try to go lighter the the color it is now you might have to do a few coats just like painting not to sure but i would have to say its best to spend the time to take the dash out now and make it look better then trying to save a little time and not getting the look just right. what makes a car look good is in all the little details just my thoughts tho.
      i love my lil red wagon

Comment

Pull the dash you'll be much happier,You'll never get all the little tight spots done.
        Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
        99 Dodge Caravan SE
        95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
        94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
        78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
        78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
        03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
        95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
        95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
        95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

OK, thanks guys.

I'm currently investigating cost and time of
          1) swapping complete interiors with dash
          2) recovering front aero seats by themselves and keeping my stock back seat to match what I have
          3) recovering all seats aero to match what I have
          4) giving up on the aero seats
          5) getting the lighter seats and carpet from the aero and redoing the center pieces of the doorpannel (where your arm rests) in the light tan/grey. So effectively all the "fabric" on the car is tan (my headliner and font pillars are already tan) and all the "hard" dash, console and doorpannels are the dark beige/brown.

But people say I have no taste End up with something that might look like this womans handbag (hey it's the only thing I could find with the keywords brown gray and beige!)

What mods did you do to your SHO to get 265, elcamino?

Comment

If it just the seat id get front and back dye them to match what you have now. Might be the best way but if u need a new dash or any thing else from the aero i just get them all and do a full aero inside.
            i love my lil red wagon

Comment

Can you do that with good results? Can you only dye light to dark and not dark to light? Would I have to worry about girls with nice new white dresses sitting down in the 170degree leather finding stains on their dress? You know what I mean

Comment

I think you can do dark to light but its a lot harder. Think of it like you wear paint the walls of your house, if you have a light color you just paint the dark over it and maybe another coat if it needs it. If u have a dark and go to light you have to put a lot more coats on it, if dyed right you don't have to worry about it coming off. I haven't done this myself but have seen a lot of ppl that have. try the link to see if this helps any. http://www.leatherworldtech.com/
                i love my lil red wagon

Comment

Working...
                X