Field Trip!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Trip!

Well after about 4 months of tracking people down, and talking to Chuck Beck, and several other people that know Shogun's I'm going to get the chance to take as many photo's I can of the real live # 002 Blue Shogun. I can’t say enough about how nice the owner of this car has been to me, he has even had his mechanic call me, and offer to pick me up from the airport. So on the 23-24 of this month I'm flying to go see the car that started it all for me about 16 years ago. I'm even renting a Chevy Aveo to get me in the mood and get me to his shop from the airport :lol: I will hopefully have all the documentation I will need to complete my car, and maybe answer some questions about these rare little devils. I'm working on a list of questions for the owner, and for the next time I call Chuck. (I think I'm going to get him a cel phone for Christmas) Every time we talk his phone is cutting out, and he has to call me back, or I call him back. So getting questions out there for answers has been hard to say the least, but he is a very nice personable guy.
    I am mostly concerned with the location of the sub frame assembly that I have, Chuck said he thought the wheel base was a bit longer, but wasn’t sure? But he did make mention of where it was attached to the Festiva, so thats a starting point. So location of the sub frame will be my first question, followed by the fuel cell dimensions, just how they attached the rear panels, The tie rods are from a ?? exec... Oh and the water pump question. I'm bringing two cameras with me with a combined total space of about 3 Gig's so I hope to have a lot of documentation to share. Maybe I will bring the video Camera, just incase a ride is offered :wink:
    My wife seams to think I have lost it, but oh well, Like I tell her I'm into cars, it could be worse :wink:
    93 Mustang LX Coupe 54K 347 S-Trim 515 RWHP **Stock apearence**

92 Ford Ranger XLT 331-T-Trim, TKO 3550 13"Wilwoods, 17" Cobra's, B-II Sway Bar Mod, Explorer front bar.

91 Ford Festiva GL 30K orgional - soon to be cut to pieces!

Good luck!
    Remember to bring a ruler or some easily photographed reference device so you can tell scale in your pics!
    Could be helpful for location and dimension of various things.
    Just a thought.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I'm planning on brining a plastic ruler, with my luck a metal tape is not taken well on a plane? The car is in a full mechanical shop with a lift, so If the ruler dosnet work I'm hoping he will have a tape Maybe I will buy one at the local Home Depot on my way from the airport.

I just reserved www.fordshogun.com and shogun007.com for a place for the documentaion of the car. I have had little in the way of luck finding a good sorce for info on these cars, so I hope to maybe have a one stop place for info, I have seen so much bad info over the last year posted on these cars. some say they had v8 SHO motors, others say 15 were built, exc..

92 Ford Ranger XLT 331-T-Trim, TKO 3550 13"Wilwoods, 17" Cobra's, B-II Sway Bar Mod, Explorer front bar.

Comment

Originally posted by URTOAST
        I'm planning on brining a plastic ruler, with my luck a metal tape is not taken well on a plane? The car is in a full mechanical shop with a lift, so If the ruler dosnet work I'm hoping he will have a tape Maybe I will buy one at the local Home Depot on my way from the airport.

I just reserved www.fordshogun.com and shogun007.com for a place for the documentaion of the car. I have had little in the way of luck finding a good sorce for info on these cars, so I hope to maybe have a one stop place for info, I have seen so much bad info over the last year posted on these cars. some say they had v8 SHO motors, others say 15 were built, exc..
        Quoted from Wikipedia:
        In 1990, Chuck Beck of Special Editions and Rick Titus took seven Festivas, gutted the interiors, and mounted Ford SHO 3.0 L V6's behind the front seats in mid-engine rear wheel drive configuration. There were substantial cosmetic and mechanical changes, including relocating the gas tank to the front of the car, structural bracing and improvements to the chassis, adding wider wheel arches to accommodate a wider stance and larger tires, and a complete redesign of the suspension. These changes resulted in a car that could travel the ¼ mile (0.4 km) in 12.9 seconds at 100.9 mph (162 km/h), and could achieve a lateral acceleration figure ranging from .95 to 1.04 g [1]. Of the seven, Jay Leno owns the silver one, which is number 003 [2].

Comment

WOW i gotta say you are one lucky guy, i would love to check out a real SHOgun (test drive :lol: ) i really hope you get tons of info that you need and lots of pics and vids for all of us to see

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

good luck on your trip. where will you be flying to? i think you owe me an email, but when ever you have time is fine.
            "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Unicornasaurus
              Originally posted by URTOAST

Quoted from Wikipedia:
              In 1990, Chuck Beck of Special Editions and Rick Titus took seven Festivas, gutted the interiors, and mounted Ford SHO 3.0 L V6's behind the front seats in mid-engine rear wheel drive configuration. There were substantial cosmetic and mechanical changes, including relocating the gas tank to the front of the car, structural bracing and improvements to the chassis, adding wider wheel arches to accommodate a wider stance and larger tires, and a complete redesign of the suspension. These changes resulted in a car that could travel the ¼ mile (0.4 km) in 12.9 seconds at 100.9 mph (162 km/h), and could achieve a lateral acceleration figure ranging from .95 to 1.04 g [1]. Of the seven, Jay Leno owns the silver one, which is number 003 [2].
              I have looked at the info on Wikipedia before, informative, and it looks to be mistake free, but it lacks the detals of the swap, the parts used exc... I'm not saying the info's not out there, but not all in one place. I have just tried to gather as many magazine articals, books, quotes, and info from web page documentation, but there is alot of conflicting info once you start trying to piece it together. It dosent help that almost every one of the 7 are different in some way.

Example..

Jays car lacks the number ID plate in the pictures I have of the car, and it's a 89 Model, most are later versions. I'm wondering when the ID plate came to be? I'm guessing when people were paying 48K for them they sort of wanted a plate on the car!

Todd00 I will check my email and get with you.. I thought I returned it? Sorry? I'm going to MA to look at the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid
                WOW i gotta say you are one lucky guy, i would love to check out a real SHOgun (test drive :lol: ) i really hope you get tons of info that you need and lots of pics and vids for all of us to see

I will try to get as much info as posable, and share it with you all. Thats the fun of this, maybe we can make it a bit easier for others to try this project? I'm not going to ask for a ride or anything, but if he offers... its on!

Comment

If you go for that ride...make sure the video camera is running.
                  "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                  89L Silver EFI auto
                  91GL Green Auto DD
                  There ain't no rest for the wicked
                  until we close our eyes for good.
                  I will sleep when I die!
                  I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Oh I will... even though its hard to get a sence of how fast something is on tape, i will just for the fun of it... remeber this is the one with the SHOshop blower on it... ~~ 400 HP so it is most likely going to be like a cannon. A ride will be cool, but not nessasary I guess.... but it would be very motivating for my project.

Comment

Thats awesom...I do not know know much about the Shoguns...and I definately did not know one had a blower on it...lol. Hope you at least get a ride...if not a little driver seat time yourself....have fun!
                      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      There ain't no rest for the wicked
                      until we close our eyes for good.
                      I will sleep when I die!
                      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

That is very awesome !!

Good luck and I know you will have fun .

Has he ever visited the site ??
                        ------------------------------------------------
                        The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                        Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                        HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                        Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                        Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                        Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                        Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                        90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                        It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Originally posted by packrat427
                          That is very awesome !!

Good luck and I know you will have fun .

Has he ever visited the site ??
                          I'm not sure? I dont think so, he dosent strike me as a computer person?? But I will ask. he probably dosent celebrate that car because it's a Festiva like most of us do, I'm sure he likes it because its rare, and fast. But his car will visit the site when I get back

Comment

Dude, exciting times. Archive the whole experience. We are rooting for you and your project.
                            youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

How about I send you a Fordfestiva.com sticker to give him for the car! Is this the same car that was built up by the Shoshop and was on Ebay a couple years ago? You certainly have one exciting projectthere and I hope you continue to share it with us! I believe this car also participated in One lap of America or something like that.
                              Brian
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                              :fish:

Comment

Working...
                              X