Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tale of the Big White Hummer!

The CXT picture thread reminded me of something. Gotta tell this story:

Last week I went to the local grocery store. I parked next to a big (original H1) white Hummer and thought it would be cool to take a picture, but I didn't want to use my disposable in the glove compartment since I save that for accidents, emergencies, etc.

I went in a did my shopping. At checkout, I was behind this guy in some designer looking shorts ("Limitz") and a tank top, with some designer looking sunglasses (the kind I hate with the thick earpieces that block your side view but are in fashion). He paid for his food (I remember a bag of dog food but nothing else--he had some other stuff) and left ahead of me. I paid for mine and went outside.

The Hummer was still there, but music was playing loud and I had a hunch that this guy in checkout was inside. Sure enough, when I pulled out I looked back and he was sitting in it.

Okay, so why am I telling this "story?" Why the heck does any of this merit webspace here at ff.com?

When he paid for his stuff he used a Food Stamp card!

Not that I'm judgemental or anything...he was probably just borrowing the fancy ride from a friend.

Ha. Okay tell me I'm a biased @#$%^&! Po folks need swanky gas guzzlers too!

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

That is a trip!
    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

If I was buying gas for that hummer I'd need food stamps too.

Comment

That's similar to my Hummer owner experience... Except mine was some short muscle dude with a roid-rage problem...
        Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

i love how hummer owners are usually little short dudes or soccer moms lol

Comment

When I was in high school, some rich kid's parents bought him a brand new H2 for his 17th birthday. I always made it a point to park as close to him as possible in my Festy, well either his Hummer, or the old Chevy trucks with lift kits and mud tires that the hillbilly kids drove.
            Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
            Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
            White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
            White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
            Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
            Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
            Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
            White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Whenever I drive by a Hummer, I smile because what they pay for a tank of gas will keep the Festiva on the road for a month!

But hey, if you've got more money than sense, the Hummer's the car for you!
              White '89L auto - Sold!
              Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

But hey, if you've got more money than sense, the Hummer's the car for you! :lol: i agree

people that drive them always look so smug, and i dont even think they are an attractive vehicle despite the price or what celebs own them. people that buy them are simply copying the trends of what the rich and infamous do.
                "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

I like the H1's, in camo, with lots of mud and the doors off.

H2's and H3's are the gayest car evver! i've been in a few at work, their not very nice, their a PAIN to work on, and get 2mpg tops. I remember my dad laughing at a guy in a H2 as we passed him going up a hill in the snow (in skeeter).

and don't even get me started on the food stamps and the like.... i hate people who abuse the system...
                  ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                  91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                  1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                  2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Nate wrote:

"I like the H1's, in camo, with lots of mud and the doors off."

Join the Army boy!! They'se called HMMWVs:

They're fun to drive, especially on military bases where you get to jump out and run your butt off in some crazy training exercise!

Nothing beats humping a big radio or M-60 in addition to your own rifle and rucksack. I did that few too many times.

I also got to do some driver training one summer. Teaching soldiers (including one general!) to go through water pits & up and down steep hills.

Okay, so I'm a bit nostalgic right now. I wish I'd been in a little sooner though, so I could have driven a real Army Jeep.

Karl

The ambulance version would make a heck of a camper:

'93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

:lol: safety guy

yes before they were popular with arnold and company.

Comment

yea by H1 i meant the original military ones, i didn't realize they had a different designation!

i was in CAP for a few years and have been in/around the "real" hummers... I was contemplating joining the AF for a while, but when i got my schooling for free (at least my BS, i'll have to pay for my masters) i decided not to. I really did enjoy doing the military stuff tho... but oh well, guess it wasn't for me!
                        ~Nate

Current cars:
                        91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

^^You could always join after you are out of school and get your masters paid for....and try for officer since you will already have college degree.
                          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                          89L Silver EFI auto
                          91GL Green Auto DD
                          There ain't no rest for the wicked
                          until we close our eyes for good.
                          I will sleep when I die!
                          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

good time to join, free tours of iraq, bring your sun screen.

Comment

^^ woot!

since i'll have my masters in aeronautical engineering (i hope!) and i was already in CAP up through 1st LT (automatic promotion after graduating basic) i could probably enter as an officer fairly easily. however, i've heard that working for the military as a civilian is the best... not sure i'll have to look into that, i have a few years and lots could change in that time!
                              ~Nate

Current cars:

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Working...
                              X