Now I Understand!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now I Understand!!!

For those of you that don't know, I've had my stiva for about a year now, just sitting in the garage, with a BP sitting next to it waiting for me to get to work. Well, tonight since i was pissed off at the ex and needed to do something to get my mind off of it, I started ripping into the stiva. My plan is to strip it down to a shell, do the bodywork, paint it, mount the engine, g25mr, etc., possibly weber sidedrafts if i can fit them, if not maybe IDA's or just a two barrel (I am frankly sick and tired of wiring and fuel injection), MSD, and nitrous on top of that. So anyway, I just start taking the front end off and i notice a little while later, wow, nothing is really fighting me, and i have the hood, bumper, fenders, headlights, grille, a good portion of interior trim, and the upper rad support out. Then I look at my watch and see that I've only been in the garage for 45 minutes, and i was taking my sweet time too. I LOVE THIS CAR!! I work on brand new Dodge's for a living and the Stivais so easy to work on that it actually makes working on cars fun again. Now i understand how the really diehard guys and gals on here are so in love with these little suckers.

There's nothing to these cars. A few hours work and it looks like so much done. I had mine to the shell in a few evenings.

Easy cars to work on.

A holley 2 barrel would be cool and different.

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Yeah I really want sidedrafts though.... as rice as it sounds, the way thoe four velocity stacks look under the hood just makes me quiver. Obviously I shouldn't be doing that solely for looks and I'm not, but its just something that I've wanted to do from the first time I saw and heard them run. But, if space proves to be too much of an issue, I'll have no choice but to go for a properly matched 2 barrel. Which still isn't a bad thing at all. DOHC 4 cylinders run surprisingly well when carbed too, and the MSD will give me 2 stage rev limiter capability and a good amount of launch control.

I went from considering selling the car and the engine to being dead set on getting moving on the project in the course of about 45 minutes of work. I freakin love it!

Comment

^ Am I the only one who thinks he is weird for thinking that sidedraft carbs are rice?
        * Retired Festiva-er*
        1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
        B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

side drafts? I was thinking SCCA, or solo race is where I see em'. Most ricers cant figure out how to tune a couple of webbers.
          http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/708975

http://p074.ezboard.com/ffordfestiva...picID=92.topic

Comment

More Euro than rice.

Comment

no you guys misunderstand... i meant that in all honesty, although they happen to be great performers, i really am obsessed with just the idea of opening the hood and looking at them. Maybe my friends and I just have a fucked up definition of rice but in our idea of rice it includes performance mods that were done mostly for show, like a trailer queen showcar with a turbokit or something. Although this car will be driven... alright you're right the more i try to explain this the less sense it makes i take it back lol.

Comment

I'm out to do something like that to a B6D. I have really been thinking about this last couple days away from the computer then when I come back some one else is doing it to the BP. Sweet. I already have a question. Would it be easier to use a modded FI intake manifold or have one custom built?

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

I haven't really dug into it enough yet. I've got the length measurements for a set of webers, so i do know that best case scenario, with an extra 1-2" from cutting the firewall and boxing it, the manifold can really only be between 3 and 4 inches depending on the how tall the velocity stacks/filters are that you choose. If the bore spacing is close than thats ok but if its so far off that it requires a lot of curves to get a nice, smooth transition, then it probably won't work at all because that will necessitate more manifold length. There's always TWM individual throttles which fit direct-to-head, but those are big money and since HKS no longer makes the vane pressure converter for the miata BP/B6 it would require standalone engine management, which i have no experience with and costs a bit more than i'm really willing to spend. The other thing is that mounting the webers at a 45 degree angle to the head would provide another inch or two of clearance but would probably need to be modified to prevent fuel starvation. It would really be handy if i could get my hands on just one carb for less than $50 just to mock it up and see if i could get something to work. A full set of webers, even used on ebay is generally $200 or more and i don't want to spend that if it won't work.

Comment

Got 2 Weber 45 DCOEs for an Opel hot rod project...should be fun :twisted:

Got a Weber 38 DGAS on my '72 GT, rebuilding a Weber 40 to replace the 38, and have various 32/36 Webers....(I can't stand the progressive nature of the 32/36, plus the 38 sounds so sweet when you stomp on it)
                    Save your pity for the weak.

Comment

really?.... would you mind perhaps measuring the distance between the centerline of each barrel on one of those DCOE's for me?

Comment

Grab a set of TB's off ebay for a high hp bike, roll your own megasquirt and call it a day.

-=Whittey=-

Comment

If you don't need it soon!
                          Save your pity for the weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Whittey
                            Grab a set of TB's off ebay for a high hp bike, roll your own megasquirt and call it a day.

-=Whittey=-
                            Tell you what man, next time you're on AIM, hit me up, my s/n is BlvdUvBrknDr3amz, and you can tell me all about this Megasquirt stuff. I'm a competent mechanic, and I've been learning a lot with Emanage lately, but i'd imagine a full standalone like Megasquirt isn't something you bang out in a day... I'd really love to do bike TB's instead, it would be a hell of a lot easier so far as fabricating goes, but I have ZERO experience with standalone systems.

Comment

Working...
                            X