Tough call!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough call!

Ok, I have a new job now and I'm buying a car ASAP because my bike is on the brink of death. I've narrowed it down to 2 vehicles and I need your help to pick which one to buy. So let's compare!

Car 1:
    1988 Toyota Corolla SR5 AWD- 1.6L, 5 speed. I've read they're tough cars (except for the body vs. rust) and that they're extremely economical and reliable. I've read that they have crappy handling though :S Although I'm sure some new suspension and rubber could fix that!

Car 2:
    1989 Mazda 323 Station Wagon (I love station wagons- they're like every kind of vehicle mixed into one!)- 1.8L (I'm hoping/guessing BP?!), 5 speed manual. I've read that these are fairly reliable although they seem to have lots of small but irritating problems? Also if it had a BP I'd have to boost!

Right now it's down to these 2 contenders. They're both going for 1200$ and I'm kind of leaning towards the Corolla unless someone has a good reason not to... keeping in mind that I live in Canada and AWD could come in handy for those torrential snowfalls that we encounter from time to time.

Let's hear your suggestions!
    What you don't stop at the door, you have to deal with on the floor.

Mistake- The ad actually doesn't say the displacement on the 323... I don't know where I got the idea it had a 1.8 from, apparently 323's from that year came with a 1.6L 83 horsepower engine Would that be the B6?

Comment

That would be the B6.

I'd go for the 323, but that's because it's the closest to the Festiva and I don't have to deal with heavy snows much.

Get the car that presents fewest problems for you and is in the best condition. The AWD might have more problems due to more mechanical stuff. Then again, maybe not.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

How come none of those choices are festivas? :evil:
        http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/708975

http://p074.ezboard.com/ffordfestiva...picID=92.topic

Comment

88FESTIVAGTR- I found 2 Festivas but they're both high kms and the sellers are asking way too much for them. And don't worry- I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a cheap Festiva that I can rebuild and hopefully compete in some local AutoX or Rally racing. In fact I'm pretty sure there's someone on this forum who is also from E-town who competes in ice racing with a Festiva...? Maybe I'm just crazy... who am I kidding? I'm a complete lunatic!!!!! muahahahahahha!

Safety Guy- I was thinking the 323 also- for one thing it's had only one owner for it's entire "life". Also it has a B6 which is awesome, and lastly, as I understand it, there's not much you can do with one of those Corollas without having it custom made (i.e. turbos and whatnot). Before I knew anything about 80's Mazda 4 cylinder engines I would have taken the Corolla... Knowledge is power!

I just got my first cheque from my new job- $1117.85 for 2 weeks work Way more than I was making at Arby's, I'll tell you that much! So hopefully I'll have a vehicle to show off pretty soon!

Comment

Working...
          X